Chi Rho Connection, Vol. V, No. 5

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2004

      Vol. V, No. 5

      1. "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a Time"
      2. Dr. Rembert Truluck
      3. "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse"
      4. May Madness: Free Book with Order
      5. "The Bible and Homosexuality"
      6. Sanctoral Cycle
      7. Become a Guardian Angel

      This Issue's Quote:

      "Speaking without thinking is shooting without taking
      aim."
      -- Spanish Proverb

      "The distance is nothing; it is only the first step
      that is difficult."
      -- Mme. Du Deffand

      1. "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a Time"

      We are very proud of the publication of our new
      book of daily devotions, "Living as the Beloved: One
      Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra L. Bochonok.
      $20.95 each, six or more copies for $15.75 each, plus
      shipping and handling. You can see and order the book
      on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok.

      "Living As The Beloved" has a Scripture reading,
      meditation, and prayer for every day of the year.
      Dr. Bochonok's meditations are poignant, wise, and
      amazingly pastoral. Her many years of ministry as
      a military chaplain and pastor, and now as an Internet
      pastor shine through her every word. Her meditations
      are simple, basic Christian teaching, yet glow with
      power, grace, and beauty. These are devotions that
      will light your days for many years to come.

      Copies are now in stock! Order your copy of
      "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a Time" today.
      Only $20.95, plus shipping and handling, six or
      more copies are $15.75 each plus shipping and
      handling.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok

      2. Dr. Rembert Truluck

      Dr. Rembert Truluck is the author of "Steps to Recovery
      from Bible Abuse," one of the most successful and
      important books published by Chi Rho Press, and he
      maintains the Web site by the same name at
      http://www.truluck.com

      As we reported in the last edition of the Chi Rho
      Connection, on the day of his 70th birthday, Dr.
      Truluck wrote, "I was born seventy years ago on 3/9/34.
      Yesterday I lost the job that I have had for the past
      four years.

      "I am grateful for you and what you have done to spread
      and share the good news of God's unconditional accepting,
      affirming love for all GLBT people.

      "I checked Google again yesterday and saw that [links to
      my site on] 'Bible Abuse' are found on 610,000 other Web
      sites now. My Web site and book are being used in GLBT
      small group study throughout the world from Taiwan to
      Texas. I receive e-mail almost every day from gay and
      lesbian people who tell me that finding 'Steps to Recovery
      from Bible Abuse' on the Internet has saved their lives."

      "As I look back over my own history in study, writing,
      pastoral ministry, travel, work with MCC and everything
      else, I rejoice in what I have learned from others and
      from my own life, and realize and am renewed and
      energized by the thoughts of where God is leading in
      even the smallest details of what is happening now in
      my life. God runs the universe and everything that
      exists. To be in God's hands and in God's work is to
      be safe and productive no matter what forms or shapes
      God decides to use to mold and teach you and me so that
      God can use us for good.

      "One of my closest friends has been trying to help me
      in this time of financial crunch, even suggesting that
      I should shut down my Web site and the updates. I have
      no intention of closing my Web site or abandoning my
      update e-mails to you. I do need some financial help
      if you can give it. God will show me the way and will
      fully equip me to follow it."

      The Board and staff of Chi Rho Press urge all of our
      supporters and readers to help Dr. Truluck in his time
      of great financial need. At present, he has no income
      except for the support and gifts of his friends and
      followers. Won't you help?

      Send whatever you can to Dr. Rembert Truluck, P.O. Box
      24062, Oakland, CA 94623, USA.

      Sign up for his regular e-mail updates by writing him at
      Rembert@....

      Visit his excellent Web site at http://www.truluck.com

      Buy his wonderful and inspiring book, "Steps to Recovery
      from Bible Abuse," on line at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#Truluck.

      But most of all, we encourage you to prayerfully send a
      contribution to him at Dr. Rembert Truluck, P.O. Box
      24062, Oakland, CA 94623, USA.

      If you would prefer to make your contribution anonymous,
      or if you would like your contribution to be fully tax-
      deductible, you may make your gift check out to Chi Rho
      Press, designate that it is "For Dr. Truluck" in the memo
      line, and send it to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,
      Gaithersburg, MD 20898, USA.

      Or you may make your contribution on line at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html. You can
      specify contributions of any multiple of $10, $25, $50,
      $100, or $150. Just choose the amount you want to give
      and note in the "Special Instructions and Comments" that
      your contribution is designated "For Dr. Truluck" and we
      will make sure he receives your generous gift.

      We have received some gifts for Dr. Truluck already and
      continue to encourage you to be generous. Thank you for
      your support of this incredible man who has given so much
      to our community of faith and who now needs our help.
      Please feel free to send this article to all your friends.

      3. "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse"

      "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse" by Dr. Rembert
      Truluck will help you counteract fanatical, judgmental
      religion.

      Dr. Truluck has identified a lethal trend in the religious
      Community, the tendency to be legalistic and judgmental
      and to use the Bible as a weapon to hurt people rather than
      a source of healing and love.

      He concentrates on the Good News of the Bible, Good News
      that is for everyone, not just heterosexual white men.
      Too often LGBT commentators concentrate on defending
      their position that the Bible doesn't really say anything
      bad about homosexuality.

      Dr. Truluck concentrates on those many passages of the Holy
      Scripture, which speak words of love, understanding,
      tolerance, and joy for God's lesbian, gay, bisexual, and
      transgendered people and those who love them. Dr. Truluck
      proves that the Bible is our friend!

      We invite you to take this journey with us! Buy "Steps
      to Recovery from Bible Abuse" on the Chi Rho Press Web
      site, http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#Truluck.

      4. May Madness: Free Book with Order

      Free gift with every order or contribution of $25 or more!

      As a way to celebrate spring here in the Northern
      Hemisphere, we have decided to offer a free gift of
      EITHER a copy of our first book of daily devotions,
      "The Road to Emmaus" OR a copy of "Families Re-Membered:
      Pastoral Support for Friends and Families Living with
      HIV/AIDS" by the Rev. Louis F. Kavar, with every order
      from an individual of $25 or more.

      Just specify in the Special Instructions and Comments
      section as you order which book you would like to receive.

      *****

      "The Road to Emmaus: Daily Encounters with the Risen
      Christ," is an inclusive devotional edited by Joseph W.
      Houle and published in 1989 by Emmaus House of Prayer.
      Since the house of prayer closed, Chi Rho Press
      has exclusive rights to distribute this wonderful book.

      "The Road to Emmaus" is a valuable resource for those
      who wish to balance the frenetic pace of modern life
      with moments of recollection and spiritual refreshment.
      There is a Gospel reading for each day of the year and
      a meditation based upon it. Each meditation is a
      gentle invitation to become attentive to the presence
      of the Sacred in the ordinary circumstances of our lives
      and to open our hearts to the risen Christ in quiet
      reflection.

      As an inclusive devotional, "The Road to Emmaus" affirms
      the goodness of all God's children -- the young and the
      old; the male and the female; the lesbian, gay, bisexual,
      and transgendered person; heterosexuals; the single,
      coupled, and celibate; and people of all races, physical
      ability, and education. Its underlying message is that
      the Gospel is good news for all people.

      If you seek a deeper walk with the risen Christ, the
      daily meditations of "The Road to Emmaus" will speed
      you on your way.

      James B. Nelson writes, "Reading the devotions in The
      Road to Emmaus made scriptural passages come alive for
      me, often in new ways. Further, the writings prodded
      me to examine my spirituality more honestly. And, most
      importantly, they freshened my hope."

      Contributors to "The Road to Emmaus" include the Rev.
      Kathy Baker, the late Rev. Harold J. Burris, Adam
      DeBaugh, Sarah Fershee, Sr. Jeannine Gramick, the
      Rev. Louis Kavar, Virginia Miles, Fr. Robert Nugent,
      Jack Pantaleo, the Rev. Dusty Pruitt, the Rev. Andy
      Sidden, and the late Rev. Larry Uhrig.

      "The Road to Emmaus" is available for $9.95 each
      plus shipping and handling. See it on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#EMMAUS.
      Or you may have it FREE with your order of $25 or more at http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      *****

      "Families Re-Membered: Pastoral Support for Friends and
      Families Living with HIV/AIDS," by the Rev. Louis F.
      Kavar, Ph.D. Dr. Kavar has observed that HIV/AIDS causes
      a shift in family dynamics and that families are often
      re-structured, enlarged and changed, "re-membered" as a
      result of the impact of the health crisis on the family
      system.

      From a pastoral perspective, ministers and others
      working with people living with HIV or any life-threatening
      illness and their families and friends need to re-member
      families to include family members of choice. This book
      explores the dynamics of family systems and the realities
      of extended families of choice. It goes beyond the
      dynamics of HIV/AIDS to embrace all families of choice.
      This is a valuable book for all people doing ministry
      with the LBGT community and our families.

      Dr. Kavar holds the degree of Master of Arts from the
      Institute of Formative Spirituality at Duquesne University,
      Pittsburgh, in spirituality and Doctorate of Philosophy
      from the School of Education at the University of Pittsburgh
      in counseling. He is an ordained United Church of Christ
      minister.

      "Families Re-Membered" is available for $10.95 each, six
      or more copies for $8.25 each, plus shipping and handling.
      Find "Families Re-Membered" at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/hivaids.html. Or you
      may have it FREE with your order of $25 or more at
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      *****

      Now with any order of $25 or more, you will receive your
      choice of either of these wonderful books. Just let us
      know when you place your order. Visit us at
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com to view our list of books and
      resources. We never close!

      5. "The Bible and Homosexuality"

      "The Bible and Homosexuality," by the Rev. Michael E.
      England. $10.95 each, $8.95 each for six or more
      copies, plus shipping and handling.

      This book takes us back to the basics. For too many
      lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered people of
      faith, the Bible has been used as a club to batter and
      beat them down.

      Only six lonely little verses that have been used against
      LGBT people. Despite the paucity of unequivocal
      condemnation in the Hebrew and Christian Testaments, some
      religious folk use those six verses to justify a world
      of hurt for LGBT people, their families, and supporters.
      These 'clobber passages' are over-used and abused!

      So for much of the LGBT community, "going back to the
      basics" of their oppression is going back to the Bible.
      The Rev. Michael England has written what we think is the
      best primer on "The Bible and Homosexuality." We are
      proud to have published this slim, but important volume,
      which has been our best seller for over ten years. In 1998 we
      published the fifth edition of Michael's important work.

      This is the best book that explores the Bible passages
      that have traditionally been used to condemn LGBT people.

      Sections include Inspiration; Critical Interpretation
      (Textual Criticism, Historical Criticism, Source Criticism,
      and Form Criticism); the Passages Believed to Relate to
      Homosexuality (Deuteronomy 23:17-18, Genesis 19:4-11,
      Leviticus 18:23 and 20:13-14, I Corinthians 6:9, I Timothy
      1:10, and Romans 1:26-27); the "Contra Naturam" (against
      nature) argument; Heterosexual Marriage as "the Only
      Biblical Model;" Adultery and Fornication; and a
      Bibliography.

      "The Bible and Homosexuality" is 72 pages, perfect bound,
      with a striking cover photograph of the Washington National
      Cathedral by renowned DC photographer Colin Winterbottom.

      Every thinking Christian and all people who wish to engage
      other Christians in reasoned debate should have this volume
      on their shelves.

      "The Bible and Homosexuality" is $10.95 each, $8.95 each
      for six or more copies, plus shipping and handling. You
      may order from our Web page at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#England

      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional and modern saints and
      various holy days and holidays listed in the 2004
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      *****

      Fri. April 30, Beltane (Wiccan). Cross-quarter day,
      halfway between Spring equinox and Summer solstice.
      Celebration of joining of the goddess with the energy
      of the god in a sacred marriage that resulted in all
      creation.

      Sat. May 1, St. Thomas a Kempis (1380-1471). Spiritual
      master and priest. Thomas was a simple Augustinian
      monk whose life is not remembered so much as his
      writings. His best known work on the spiritual life
      is "The Imitation of Christ," a classic that has been
      influential among both Protestants and Catholics. He
      emphasized the importance of conforming our lives to
      that of Christ. Noting that our actions are far more
      important than our knowledge, "At the Day of Judgment
      we shall not be asked what we have read, but what we
      have done."

      Sat. May 1, May Day

      Sat. May 1, Labor Day. This day is the day to recognize
      those who work in nearly every country in the world
      except the United States and Canada.

      Sun. May 2, Maulid el-Nabi (Islamic). Birth of Mohammed,
      the founder of Islam, in 571 ce. Not celebrated in all
      Islamic communities. (All Islamic holidays begin at
      sunset the preceding evening. The actual dates sometimes
      may vary from this calendar, as the day is based on the
      actual sighting of the moon.)

      Wed. May 5, Cinco de Mayo (Mexico). Anniversary of the
      battle of Puebla, in which Mexico defeated the French.
      This is an especially important day among Mexican-Americans.

      Wed. May 5, Children's Day (Japan).

      Thu. May 6, Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862). Naturalist
      and social critic. While his writings were largely
      ignored in his lifetime, Thoreau's thoughts on social
      justice, freedom, and civil disobedience were to later
      influence Tolstoy, Gandhi, and Martin Luther King. A
      fiercely independent nonconformist, he followed no
      particular religion, but has been described as something
      of a Taoist sage and desert father. His mystical
      rapture with nature speaks to us today in our ecological
      concerns.

      Sat. May 8, Bd. Julian of Norwich (1342-1416). Mystic.
      Few details are known of the life of Dame Julian, a
      recluse who was famed as a spiritual counselor. She
      is best known for writing Revelations of Love Divine,
      the first book written in English by a woman. At the
      age of 30 she became gravely ill, but recovered
      following a series of visions of Christ on the cross.
      She spoke of God as our Creator, Protector, and Lover,
      and wrote of the motherhood of both God and of Jesus,
      emphasizing the goodness of creation and God's mercy
      toward the weak. "As truly as God is our Father, so
      truly is God our Mother."

      Sun. May 9, Mother's Day (U.S.A., Canada).

      Mon. May 10, Mother's Day (Mexico).

      Sat. May 15, Armed Forces Day (U.S.A.).

      *****

      Order the 2004 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary,
      complete with the entire year's Sanctoral Cycle, at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Park2003

      7. Become a Guardian Angel

      As you may already know, all contributions to Chi Rho
      Press are fully tax deductible. If you are able to make
      a financial gift to this ministry, we would welcome your
      support. Gifts and contributions of any size are welcome
      and appreciated! Would this not be a wonderful way to
      use part of your tax return?

      Our Guardian Angel Individual Sponsors program starts
      with a minimum gift of $150 a year and our Guardian
      Angels receive discounts on Press publications, free
      gifts during the year, and special other perks.

      You may contribute on line, paying with your credit
      card at http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html or send
      your check or money order to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,
      Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      Thanks for your support!

      We have finished the editing of Bill Gaston's new book
      of weekly meditations on the church year, "Christian
      with a Twist." Now we move into the next phase,
      entering the edits, working with the author about
      any questions the editing process revealed, doing
      some minor rewrites, and beginning the layout and
      design of the book. Watch future editions of the
      Chi Rho Connection for word on when this exciting
      new book will be published.

      *****

      I haven't had a proper vacation in a long time!
      Region 3 of the Metropolitan Community Churches
      (MCC) is having their Regional Conference in San
      Juan, Puerto Rico July 8 11. I have been elected
      one of the five lay delegates for the MCC of
      Washington DC, the parent church of my home
      congregation, Holy Redeemer MCC, College Park,
      MD (we are a parish extension of MCC DC), so I
      must go to the conference. And I am taking the
      whole week off!

      I fly to San Juan on Saturday, July 3 and return
      to Maryland on Monday, July 12. I will be staying
      in the conference hotel for the entire trip and am
      really looking forward to visiting Puerto Rico
      again, and reconnecting with friends at the MCCs
      there.

      We will be making arrangements to cover orders and
      e-mail while I am gone. And if any of our loyal
      readers and supports either live in Puerto Rico
      or are attending the conference, please let me know!
      I would love to spend time with you.

      *****

      We are always looking for short essays from YOU to
      include in an edition of the Chi Rho Connection. If
      you would like to write for us, just send your
      submission to eNews@.... Let us know
      how you would like your name to appear in the by-line
      and a little something about you we can share with
      our readers. Thanks!

      *****

      I am so tired of spam that unsolicited e-mail that
      clogs in boxes and ties up so much of the Internet.
      Our ISP, Heller Information Services (his.com), has
      a wonderful spam catcher called Postini, which
      quarantines suspected spam before it ever reaches
      my in box. It is very efficient, though I still
      have to glance through all the quarantined e-mail
      a couple times a day to make sure nothing I really
      want did not slip through: like e-mail from YOU!

      Even so, on a typical day there is getting to be
      more junk e-mail than real e-mail. Chi Rho Press
      receives a lot of e-mail each day, sometimes as
      much as 600 e-mails a day! On one typical day this
      week, from Monday evening at 9 pm when I last cleared
      the e-mail for the day, to Tuesday morning at 9 am,
      when I checked e-mail, there were 101 e-mails and
      615 spam quarantined in Postini! That is in just
      12 overnight hours! <sigh>

      It would be wonderful if that ratio could be reversed!
      And even more wonderful it a larger percentage of the
      real e-mail were orders!

      This list-serve is spam-free. We are an opt-in list,
      which means you have to subscribe in order to be on
      this list, and you can take yourself off at any time
      (though we hope you do not do that!). And we send
      very limited amounts of e-mail to you. The Chi Rho
      Reflection comes every Sunday with its brief Scripture
      reading and meditation, and the Chi Rho Connection
      comes usually only twice a month, on the 15th and
      the last day of the month. We try to keep the
      Connection interesting, with a wide variety of
      articles, some on books we have published and are
      featuring for the month, or new books coming out,
      or news of our authors, and some articles of special
      interest to our readers. Your suggestions and
      contributions are welcome!

      *****

      Speaking of orders, we hope you will take advantage
      of our special May Madness Give-away! Orders of
      $25 or more receive your choice of either "The Road
      to Emmaus" or "Families Re-Membered," two of our best
      books. Just place your order and specify in the
      Special Instructions and Comments section of your
      ordering information which of the two books you
      would like.

      *****

      And we hope you will become a Guardian Angel of Chi
      Rho Press. Our Guardian Angels are our regular
      financial supporters who help to undergird the life
      of ministry of your GLBT Christian publishing house.
      Won't you join us? All financial contributions are
      tax deductible. Just visit this link and make your
      contribution of at least $150 to become a Guardian
      Angel: http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html.
      Thank you!

      *****

      Lastly, I would like to thank so many of our readers
      who have taken the time to e-mail us. I love hearing
      from you. Any time you would like to send your
      feedback to anything you read in the Chi Rho
      Connection, just drop me a line at Adam@....
      It is one way you can help us help you!

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her Web page, http://www.christiangays.com