Chi Rho Connection, Vol. V, No. 4

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10 2:30 PM

      Vol. V, No. 4

      1. "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a Time"
      2. Dr. Rembert Truluck
      3. PUSH, by the Rev. Dr. Sandra Bochonok
      4. Food for Thought
      5. Sanctoral Cycle

      This Issue's Quote:

      "We're Gay --- We Pray --- Get used to it!"
      A button worn by a delegate at the recent National
      Episcopal Convention

      safety."
      Benjamin Franklin,US Statesman, 1706-1790

      With thanks to Dan Carter of Anchorage, Alaska for
      these two quotes.

      "From the cowardice that dares not face new truth,
      from the laziness that is contented with half-truth,
      from the arrogance that thinks it knows all truth,
      Good Lord, deliver me." Prayer from Kenya

      1. "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a Time"

      We are proud to announce the publication of our new
      book of daily devotions, "Living as the Beloved: One
      Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra L. Bochonok.
      Our pre-publication sale is over and the book is now
      only on sale at the regular list price of $20.95 each,
      six or more copies for $15.75 each, plus shipping and
      handling. You can see and order the book on our Web
      site at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok.

      Dr. Bochonok is the founder of the very popular Soul
      Food Ministry Web site (www.soulfoodministry.org), a
      special work of Metropolitan Community Church of
      Washington, DC.

      "Living As The Beloved" has a Scripture reading,
      meditation, and prayer for every day of the year.
      Dr. Bochonok's meditations are poignant, wise, and
      amazingly pastoral. Her many years of ministry as
      a military chaplain and pastor, and now as an Internet
      pastor shine through her every word. Her meditations
      are simple, basic Christian teaching, yet glow with
      power, grace, and beauty. These are devotions that
      will light your days for many years to come.

      Dr. Rembert Truluck, author of "Steps to Recovery
      from Bible Abuse"
      (http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#Truluck),
      writes:

      "I welcome the opportunity to commend to you this new
      book of daily meditations by my friend Sandra Bochonok.
      The meditations are centered in a realistic practical
      understanding of love and recovery 'one day at a
      time.' Filled with personal experiences, helpful
      information and quotes from other sources, the book
      is easy to read. Dr. Bochonok draws upon her own
      personal spiritual pilgrimage and her loving listening
      relationships with many people in her own family and
      in her life as a minister and teacher at MCC DC. Thank
      you, Sandra, for passing on to us what you have
      discovered that has been helpful to you."

      Copies are now in stock! Order your copy of
      "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a Time" today.
      Only $20.95, plus shipping and handling, six or
      more copies are $15.75 each plus shipping and
      handing.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok

      2. Dr. Rembert Truluck

      Just one month ago, on March 9, 2004, Dr. Rembert
      Truluck celebrated his 70th birthday. Dr. Truluck
      is the author of "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse,"
      one of the most successful and important books published
      by Chi Rho Press, and he maintains the Web site by the
      same name at www.truluck.com.

      We naturally want to celebrate the long life and successful
      ministry of this wonderful man. But there is also an
      urgent need that he has been brave enough to lift up to
      us for our prayerful attention. We are Chi Rho Press
      want to commend Dr. Truluck's special needs at this time
      to you all.

      On the day of his birthday, Dr. Truluck wrote, "I was
      born seventy years ago on 3/9/34. Yesterday I lost the
      job that I have had for the past four years that has
      made it possible for me to give a gift copy of my book
      to every MCC clergy person in the fellowship that I
      could locate and contact since the book was published
      the last of January 2000. I have given hundreds of
      copies of my book to others at conferences that I have
      led and have sent many gift copies to readers of my Web
      site.

      "My book and Web site are both being translated into
      several other languages by people who are committed to
      helping get my message out to as many others as possible.
      I am grateful for you and what you have done to spread
      and share the good news of God's unconditional accepting,
      affirming love for all GLBT people.

      "I checked Google again yesterday and saw that [links to
      my site on] 'Bible Abuse' are found on 610,000 other Web
      sites now. My Web site and book are being used in GLBT
      small group study throughout the world from Taiwan to
      Texas. I receive e-mail almost every day from gay and
      lesbian people who tell me that finding 'Steps to Recovery
      from Bible Abuse' on the Internet has saved their lives."

      "My next most pressing [future] step is to work on and
      finish my next book, which will be on the subject of
      'Your Inner Jesus.' . . . Millions of people are still
      very interested in Jesus and long for a clear understand
      and experience of the 'Real Jesus.'

      "I have written a lot lately about experiencing God and
      the Spirit of Jesus within your own mind and heart. . . .
      The 'Real Jesus' is already with and within you. Nobody
      has to tell you or lead or mislead you in your experience
      with Jesus. You already have within your own life and
      spirit the presence of God and the humanity and spirit
      of Jesus that you can discover and experience for
      yourself. My next book will explore and explain and
      provide study helps and 'lessons' to be the logical
      sequel to 'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse.'"

      "As I look back over my own history in study, writing,
      pastoral ministry, travel, work with MCC and everything
      else, I rejoice in what I have learned from others and
      from my own life, and realize and am renewed and
      energized by the thoughts of where God is leading in
      even the smallest details of what is happening now in
      my life. God runs the universe and everything that
      exists. To be in God's hands and in God's work is to
      be safe and productive no matter what forms or shapes
      God decides to use to mold and teach you and me so that
      God can use us for good.

      "One of my closest friends has been trying to help me
      in this time of financial crunch, even suggesting that
      I should shut down my Web site and the updates. I have
      no intention of closing my Web site or abandoning my
      update e-mails to you. I do need some financial help
      if you can give it. God will show me the way and will
      fully equip me to follow it."

      The Board and staff of Chi Rho Press urge all of our
      supporters and readers to help Dr. Truluck in his time
      of great financial need. At present, he has no income
      except for the support and gifts of his friends and
      followers. Won't you help?

      Send whatever you can to Dr. Rembert Truluck, P.O. Box
      24062, Oakland, CA 94623, USA.

      Sign up for his regular e-mail updates by writing him at
      Rembert@....

      Visit his excellent Web site at http://www.truluck.com

      Buy his wonderful and inspiring book, "Steps to Recovery
      from Bible Abuse," on line at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#Truluck.

      But most of all, we encourage you to prayerfully send a
      contribution to him at Dr. Rembert Truluck, P.O. Box
      24062, Oakland, CA 94623, USA.

      If you would prefer to make your contribution anonymous,
      or if you would like your contribution to be fully tax-
      deductible, you may make your gift check out to Chi Rho
      Press, designate that it is "For Dr. Truluck" in the memo
      line, and send it to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,
      Gaithersburg, MD 20898, USA.

      Or you may make your contribution on line at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html. You can specify
      contributions of any multiple of $10, $25, $50, $100, or
      $150. Just choose the amount you want to give and note
      in the "Special Instructions and Comments" that your
      contribution is designated "For Dr. Truluck" and we
      will make sure he receives your generous gift.

      Thank you for your support of this incredible man who
      has given so much to our community of faith and who now
      needs our help. Please feel free to send this article
      to all your friends.

      3. PUSH, by the Rev. Dr. Sandra Bochonok

      "PUSH -- Pray Until Something Happens!"

      I have heard prayer described as "political action and
      social energy." History has always belonged to the
      intercessors, and this national election year provides
      gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered citizens and
      friends with an unprecedented opportunity to change the
      United States of America's bigotry and homophobia through
      unceasing prayers. Remember "one plus God is a majority"
      and there are no little prayers.

      With gay marriages in the forefront of national news, so
      blatantly used as a political ploy to divide and polarize
      the United States, pray until something happens. PUSH
      morning, noon, and night as you read the newspapers,
      watch the news, participate in debates, sign petitions,
      and work tirelessly for justice and change on local,
      state, national, and even global levels. PUSH into
      Presidential Election Day. In its many forms, prayer
      empowers, energizes, equips, and encourages those who
      work so courageously for gay rights and government
      recognition, protections, and benefits. Being a
      target of discrimination and on the front lines of
      change can be exhausting and prayer will strengthen
      you. Consider praying for those who actively oppose,
      slander, vilify, and persecute gay, lesbian, bisexual,
      and transgendered citizens. Pray for protection of
      the U.S. Constitution. Pray, pray, pray. God will
      honor your prayers.

      The bottom line is this; I believe we have been born
      in world history for such a time as this. So pray
      until something happens. Pray without ceasing. Pray
      morning, noon, and night. God will use these prayers
      beyond your wildest imaginings and deepest yearnings.

      4. Food for Thought

      Here's another inspirational bit I gleaned off the
      Internet, with no attribution. We really liked it
      and hope it inspires you as well.

      The next time you feel like GOD can't use you, just
      remember...

      Abraham was too old
      Isaac was a daydreamer
      Jacob was a liar
      Leah was ugly
      Joseph was abused
      Moses had a stuttering problem
      Gideon was afraid
      Samson had long hair and was a womanizer
      Rahab was a prostitute
      Jeremiah and Timothy were too young
      David had an affair and was a murderer
      Elijah was suicidal
      Isaiah preached naked
      Jonah ran from God
      Naomi was a widow
      Job went bankrupt
      John the Baptist ate bugs
      Peter denied Christ
      The Disciples fell asleep while praying
      Martha worried about everything
      The Samaritan woman was divorced, more than once
      Zaccheus was too small
      Paul was too religious
      Timothy had an ulcer...AND
      Lazarus was dead!

      ...no more excuses now. God can use you to your full
      potential. Besides you aren't the message, you are
      just the messenger.

      5. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional and modern saints and
      various holy days and holidays listed in the 2004
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      *****

      Fri. April 9, Good Friday.

      Fri. April 9, Holy Friday (Eastern Orthodox).

      Fri. April 9, Dietrich Bonhoeffer (1906-1945).
      Theologian and martyr. Recognized early on as a
      brilliant theologian, Bonhoeffer was deeply committed
      to the ideals of Christian community. He helped
      organize resistance to the Nazi takeover of German
      churches. When the Confessing Church movement was
      snuffed out he was imprisoned for his participation
      in the plot to kill Hitler. Influenced by the Social
      Gospel movement in America, he later wrote in prison
      of the need for a "religionless Christianity." His
      writings have been a major influence on Christian
      Ethics in our time.

      Sat. April 10, Holy Saturday.

      Sat. April 10, Great Vigil of Easter.

      Sat. April 10, Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (1881-1955).
      Mystic and scientist. A French Jesuit priest, Teilhard
      was both one of the most creative theological minds of
      the 20th century and an eminent scientist. He did
      extensive work in geology and paleontology in China,
      helping to discover the remains of "Peking Man." He
      sought to develop a synthesis of science and religion,
      integrating the theory of evolution with a cosmic
      vision of Christ at the heart of the cosmos. His
      writings, seminal to the development of Process
      Theology, were suppressed by Rome during his lifetime.

      Sun. April 11, Eastern Orthodox Easter. This year the
      Orthodox holidays of the beginning of Lent, Palm Sunday,
      Pascha (Easter), and Pentecost coincide with the Western
      calendar, an uncommon event.

      Mon. April 12, Easter Monday (United Kingdom, Canada,
      others).

      Thu. April 15, Income Tax Day (USA).

      Sun. April 18, Yom HaShoah (Jewish). Day of remembrance
      for victims of the Holocaust by the Nazis in 1933-45.
      Not only were six million Jews murdered, but many from
      other groups, including gay men and lesbians.

      Wed. April 21, Queen's Birthday (United Kingdom)

      Wed. April 21, Administrative Professionals Day (U.S.A.).
      Unofficial holiday (also known as Secretary's Day).

      Thu. April 22, Earth Day. International day first
      observed in 1970.

      Fri. April 23, Cesar Chavez (1927-1993). Farm worker.
      Raised in a family of Mexican-American migrant workers,
      Chavez transformed a local labor struggle into a moral
      cause that challenged the conscience of the nation. He
      was committed to absolute nonviolence, and was supported
      by many religious leaders. Inspired by a priest who
      gave him a passion for justice, and a community activist
      who taught him how to organize, he became the driving
      force in founding the United Farmworkers Union.

      Sun. April 25, St. Mark the Evangelist. Apostle and
      Evangelist. The writer of the second gospel is not
      named, but it is traditionally associated with either
      John Mark (a missionary companion of Paul) or another
      winged lion, recalling Jesus as the Lion of Judah.
      Mark was the first to write down the stories of Jesus.
      Around 70 ce, this Jewish Christian provided his readers,
      and us, with a handbook on how to follow Jesus.

      Wed. April 28, Oskar Schindler (1908-1874).
      "Righteous Gentile." Here is an example of a person
      who is remembered not for being holy (living a religious
      or virtuous life), but rather for being used by God in
      doing something holy. Schindler was a German
      industrialist who made a fortune on the labor of Jews
      in his factory. Although raised as a Catholic, he was
      not religious. He was a gambler, heavy drinker, and
      unfaithful husband who used others for his own gain.
      For reasons which have never been clear, and at great
      personal risk, he used his power and influence to save
      the lives of 1,100 men, women, and children. At the
      end of the war he was impoverished. Today he is buried
      in Jerusalem at Yad Vashem (Holocaust Memorial) among
      the "Righteous Gentiles."

      Thu. April 29, St. Catherine of Siena (1347-1380).
      Doctor of the Church. An Italian mystic, teacher,
      and nun, Catherine devoted herself to serving the
      poor and sick around her. She showed her love for
      Jesus by loving her neighbors. She was known for
      mediating disputes for both individuals and powerful
      political and ecclesiastical leaders. Experiencing
      ecstatic visions, her relationship with Christ was so
      intense she finally received the sign of the stigmata.

      Fri. April 30, Beltane (Wiccan). Cross-quarter day,
      halfway between Spring equinox and Summer solstice.
      Celebration of joining of the goddess with the energy
      of the god in a sacred marriage that resulted in all
      creation.

      *****

      Order the 2004 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary,
      complete with the entire year's Sanctoral Cycle, at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Park2003

      The month of March, and indeed most of Lent, swept by
      in a blur. So much has been going on that I didn't get
      out any editions of the Chi Rho Connection at all in
      March! I have finally been able to make some time to
      finish this up and get it to you. Thanks for your
      patience! I hope you missed us, even just a little.

      *****

      The end of a long process "Living as the Beloved" is
      published! The great excitement in March was the
      production of Sandy Bochonok's splendid book of daily
      devotions, "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a Time."
      Sandy Bochonok's 50th birthday is April 20. Buying her
      book would be a wonderful gift to her!

      For a while there I had over 70 boxes of books stacked
      in my living room, but managed to get it all stowed
      away in our warehouse/order fulfillment room and the
      odd closet, as well as shipping out quite a few of
      those boxes to our faithful supporters who ordered the
      book in the pre-publication sale.

      Please order this excellent book on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok

      *****

      Our two books of Lenten meditations did pretty well
      this year and we will continue to have them in stock
      throughout the year. Our hope is that pastors will
      order one or both of them with an eye toward planning
      small group studies next Lent.

      They can be found at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Jedele
      and
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#ForAnotherFlock

      Speaking of our Lenten devotions, Randy Jedele, the
      author of "You Need Only to be Still," visited the DC
      area from Des Moines, Iowa, recently. We were able to
      spend some time together, visited the Franklin Roosevelt
      Memorial in Washington, had dinner at one of Washington's
      gay restaurants, and attended church at MCC of Washington
      DC. It was good to spend time with one of our newer
      authors.

      *****

      The Liturgical Calendar for 2004 has been very popular too.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Park2003

      The Rev. David Park has laid down that role for Chi Rho
      Press. We are happy to announce that the 2005 Liturgical
      Calendar and Lectionary will be produced in a joint effort
      by the Rev. Clay Witt and Ms. Raye-Anne Dorn. We expect
      to have the 2005 Liturgical Calendar out this summer.
      Clay and Raye-Anne bring an exciting combination of
      perspectives and liturgical backgrounds to the effort.
      Watch future issues of the Chi Rho Connection for more
      information about this developing project.

      *****

      We have other exciting news as well! We have signed a
      contract with Gretchen Gaines, author of the immensely
      popular "My Memory Book: A Journal for Grieving Children,"
      to publish her new book "You and Your Grieving Child."
      Work has begun on the editing of this wonderful new
      resource for parents of children who have lost a loved
      one to death and we anticipate it will be a great
      companion book to "My Memory Book." You can view and
      order "My Memory Book" at this link: http://www.chirhopress.com/products/socialaction.html#SocialMemory

      And we have signed a contract with Bill Gaston for the
      publication of his book, "Christian with a Twist." Over
      the last few years, Bill has published his weekly
      meditations centered on the liturgical year in the
      weekly newsletter/bulletin insert of the Metropolitan
      Community Church of Washington, DC. Now Bill has
      gathered three years worth of Bible passages and
      reflections based on them for the Sundays of the
      Church year. Very different from Sandy Bochonok's
      book, "Living as the Beloved," Bill's book contains
      the very popular, wise, and witty reflections of a
      lay Christian who has lived with liver cancer for an
      amazing 12 years. Now having entered hospice care,
      this book is Bill Gaston's legacy to us and we are
      honored and privileged to be able to publish it this
      year. For obvious reasons, we are moving ahead rather
      quickly with this book -- with incredibly unaccustomed
      speed actually! -- and expect to have it out within the
      next couple of months.

      *****

      So as you can see there is much going on at your LGBT
      Christian publishing house. We are grateful for your
      part in the life of this ministry.

      *****

      As we celebrate the Resurrection of our Savior on this
      Easter weekend, may you be enriched and enabled in all
      that you do. Thank you for letting Chi Rho Press be a
      small part of your life, and thank you for being such a
      large part of our ministry.

      Happy Easter! Christ is Risen! Christ is Risen Indeed!

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her Web page, http://www.christiangays.com

      Copyright 2004, Chi Rho Press, Inc.

      R. Adam DeBaugh
      Chi Rho Press, Your LGBT Christian Publishing House
      Subscribe to Chi Rho Connection, our free electronic newsletter
      mailto:ChiRhoPress-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Please visit the Chi Rho Press Website.
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com