Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 4, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2004
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 4, 2004

      here is a selection from our new book of daily devotions,
      "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a Time," by the Rev.
      Dr. Sandra Bochonok

      Please get out your Bible and read the Gospel and Dr.
      Bochonok's meditation. We hope you will be blessed.

      Christmas in April

      "Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place in this way.
      When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph,
      before they came together she was found to be with
      child of the Holy Spirit" Matthew 1:18.

      Usually we hear this famous story only at Christmas
      time. But if you have ever felt pregnant with holy
      longings, this great story is relevant any day of
      the year. Mary risked everything by agreeing to
      this divine impregnation. Her culture could have
      demanded the death penalty by stoning for her
      perceived illegitimate pregnancy.

      Joseph reminds me of many young unmarried men today
      who have pregnant girlfriends. This was not his
      biological baby, and quite frankly, Mary's explanation
      about how the Holy Spirit impregnated her sounded
      farfetched and impossible. He wrestled with her
      story and almost left her. But he sensed God in
      a powerful dream, which told him to stay with Mary
      and the remarkable child.

      And unknown to Mary and Joseph during the tumultuous
      pregnancy, the Magi, often called wise men or three
      kings in popular Christmas carols, were traveling
      many arduous and dangerous miles to worship this
      amazing child. Their holy pilgrimage innocently
      contributed to the destruction of many male infants.
      In order to protect his throne, King Herod willingly
      slaughtered young children, hoping to do away with
      the newborn "king of the Jews." Mary and Joseph fled
      for their lives with the newborn child to another
      country and sought refuge until God again spoke to
      them through a dream.

      If you have never read the entire Christmas story in
      this Gospel (Matthew 1:18 2:15), it is a real thriller.
      Mary, Joseph, and the Magi were ordinary people
      willing to be used in extraordinary ways for God.
      They were holy dreamers and remarkably sensitive to
      God. Their faith can be our faith as we search for
      what is reliable and trustworthy in the great mystery
      of God through our own holy readings and journey.

      God, help us be as spiritually sensitive and courageous
      as these holy dreamers. Bring us into new faith and
      help us find a place in these Gospel stories. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" has been published. Pre-
      publication sales books are in the mail to those who
      ordered them. "Living as the Beloved" is now available
      at the regular list price of $20.95 each plus shipping
      and handling. Six or more copies are $15.75 each plus
      shipping and handing. You can find this book on our Web
      site at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok.

      You may still purchase "The Road to Emmaus" from Chi
      Rho Press for $9.95 plus $2.50 shipping and handling. See
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#EMMAUS
      or send your check or money order for $12.45 for one copy
      to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898.