Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 21, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2004
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 21, 2004

      here is a selection from our new book of daily
      Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra Bochonok

      Please read the verse from the book of Ruth and
      Dr. Bochonok's meditation. We hope you will be
      blessed.

      Please read Ruth 3:10, "Boaz said, 'May you be blessed
      by the LORD, my daughter; this last instance of your
      loyalty is better than the first; you have not gone
      after young men, whether poor or rich.'"

      Security, risk taking, and blessing

      Naomi is now able to think beyond her own anguish of
      bereavement and begin to show concern for her beloved
      daughter-in-law, Ruth. A practical and spiritual
      woman, Naomi needs, like we do, more than just food.
      She says to Ruth, "My daughter, I need to seek some
      security for you, so that it may be well with you"
      (Ruth 3:1). Naomi shares a plan with Ruth to get
      some security and protection through a male benefactor.
      It is calculated risk taking for both women. Ruth
      agrees and does what her mother-in-law suggests.
      She washes and dresses with care, then quietly goes
      to the threshing floor after darkness to lay with Boaz
      in bed. He awakens, startled to find a young woman in
      bed with him. She asks his protection as next-of-kin
      and he agrees to do so.

      Boaz blesses Ruth's courage for approaching him for
      security. "May you be blessed by the LORD . . . this
      last instance of your loyalty is better than the first
      . . . do not be afraid, I will do for you all that you
      ask, for all the assembly of my people know that you
      are a worthy woman" (Ruth 3:10-12).

      We have just read the fifth blessing in Ruth's story
      (2:4, 12, 19, 20, and 3:10). Ruth and Naomi, and now
      Boaz and Ruth demonstrate committed responsible
      relationships. A common thread of "chesed," that is,
      of kindness, love, and loyalty, permeates this lovely
      story (Ruth 1:8; 2:20; 3:10). Blessing requires an
      active commitment to see the blessing fulfilled in
      another's life. Talk is cheap without action. Ruth
      and Boaz "walked the talk" of "chesed" commitment.

      When was the last time we blessed someone for his or
      her courage and commitment to another's welfare? What
      does it really mean to bless another person? What does
      it mean to love someone with "chesed?" How can we bless
      someone with security if they are an outsider? What is
      in this story for us?

      God, what do I need to learn about security, risk
      taking, and blessing from today's story? Empower my
      understanding. Equip me with new insights and energize
      my faith through blessing others. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" has been published. Pre-
      publication sales books are in the mail to those who
      ordered them. "Living as the Beloved" is now available
      at the regular list price of $20.95 each plus shipping
      and handling. Six or more copies are $15.75 each plus
      shipping and handing. You can find this wonderful book
      on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok.

      You may still purchase the first book of daily devotions
      written by and for the LGBT community of faith, "The Road
      to Emmaus" for $9.95 plus $2.50 shipping and handling.
      See http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#EMMAUS
      or send your check or money order for $12.45 for one copy
      to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898.