Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 7, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2004
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 7, 2004

      here is a selection from the soon-to-be-published
      new book of daily devotions, written by the Rev. Dr.
      Sandra Bochonok, called "Living as the Beloved: One
      Day at a Time."

      Please get out your Bible and read the verse from
      Genesis and Dr. Bochonok's meditation. We hope you
      will be blessed.

      Please read Genesis 12:3.

      The power of blessing

      God blessed Abraham, an individual of enormous faith
      and courage with these famous words, "I will bless
      those who bless you and whoever curses you I will
      curse, and all peoples on the earth will be blessed
      through you" (Genesis 12:3 NRSV). Abraham's faith
      was enormous for he believed nothing was impossible
      with God. He was even willing leave his birthplace,
      kinfolk, and country in joyful obedience to follow
      God's specific call in his life. As a result, God
      blessed this faithful pioneer and promised to make
      Abraham and his descendants into a great nation.

      This sacred blessing is not limited to Abraham and
      the nation of Israel. Gay or straight, we can have
      the faith and blessing of Abraham too. None are
      excluded from Divine blessing for other verses also
      show that God's blessing is for all people (Genesis
      12:3, 18:18, Galatians 3:8, and Acts 3:25.). Dr.
      Ralph Blair, noted psychotherapist and founder of
      Evangelicals Concerned (a national organization
      dedicated to assisting lesbians and gay men and
      churches better understand homosexuality and the
      Good News of God?s grace and peace) reinforces
      this understanding of divine love, blessing, and
      inclusion. (Blair, Ralph. "Dr. Ralph Blair's
      Remarks to Parents & Friends of Lesbians & Gays
      at St. Bartholomew's Church in New York City,
      September 8, 2002." www.ecinc.org.)

      Experience the power of your blessing and with
      Abraham as your example, journey with God as someone
      divinely blessed. Your blessing is irrevocable and
      can never be removed. Once blessed, always blessed.
      Memorize Genesis 12:3 and whenever you doubt your
      blessedness, recite it as a prayer of gratitude. In
      doing so, you will be strengthened and encouraged
      through the power of your blessing.

      God, bless me as you blessed faithful Abraham. Bless
      my journey through life. Amen.

      Purchase "The Road to Emmaus" from Chi Rho Press for $9.95
      plus $2.50 shipping and handling. See
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#EMMAUS
      or send your check or money order for $12.45 for one copy
      to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      "Living as the Beloved" is at the printer! We expect
      to receive the "blue lines" and color proofs tomorrow,
      Monday, March 8, and to receive the book within two weeks
      or so. Dr. Bochonok's book is stil available in our
      pre-publication sale offer at $16.95 (plus $3.50 for
      shipping and handling), a savings of $4.00 off the
      publication price -- but only for a short time! Six or
      more copies are $14.95 each plus shipping and handing,
      an even greater savings. You can find this great and
      limited opportunity on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok.
      Please order your book now!