Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 29, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2004
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 29, 2004

      here is a selection from the soon-to-be-published
      new book of daily devotions, written by the Rev. Dr.
      Sandra Bochonok, called "Living as the Beloved: One
      Day at a Time."

      Please get out your Bible and read the Psalm and
      Dr. Bochonok's meditation. We hope you will be
      blessed.

      Please read Psalm 88:1-2

      Tears are part of life

      We all need to cry out with our complaints and
      calls for divine help when we feel helpless and
      hurt. Sometimes we feel desperate. These feelings
      may be hard to understand, but understanding
      progresses with journal writing, talking with
      trusted counselors and therapists, friends and
      family members.

      Sacred literature from different traditions can
      empower us to write in our journals or take other
      action to help ourselves. In the Judeo-Christian
      tradition for example, we find sacred writings
      full of crying. A few examples are found in Job
      16:20, Jeremiah 9:1, Isaiah 16:9, and certainly
      in the strong voices of lament in Psalms 13, 22,
      35, 88, and 130. Even Jesus wept with loud cries
      and tears (Hebrews 5:7 and Matthew 23:37). "Blessed
      are those who mourn, for they will be comforted"
      (Matthew 5:4).

      To experience inner healing, wholeness, and rest,
      we need to acknowledge our feelings and give them
      words and time for self-examination. We need to
      honestly describe our physical and emotional
      suffering to reach inner joy and peace. Journal
      writing in stillness and silence, while allowing
      several minutes or longer to rest from your feelings,
      can lead to inner empowerment and self-improvement
      in many difficult circumstances. By giving words
      to what we feel, we begin to identify problems and
      joys more clearly. We find answers within ourselves.
      We learn what we need to do and be for our wellness.

      God, tears are part of life and reflect our feelings
      too deep for words. Thank you for their healing power.
      Help us give words to our feelings in prayer for
      strength and comfort. Amen.

      Purchase "The Road to Emmaus" from Chi Rho Press for $9.95
      plus $2.50 shipping and handling. See
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#EMMAUS
      or send your check or money order for $12.45 for one copy
      to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available in a pre-publication
      sale offer at $16.95 (plus $3.50 for shipping and handling),
      a savings of $4.00 off the publication price. Six or more
      copies are $14.95 each plus shipping and handing, an even
      greater savings. You can find this great and limited
      opportunity on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok.