Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 22, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2004
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 22, 2004

      here is a selection from the soon-to-be-published
      new book of daily devotions, written by the Rev. Dr.
      Sandra Bochonok, called "Living as the Beloved: One
      Day at a Time."

      Please get out your Bible and read the verse from
      Ecclesiastes and Dr. Bochonok's meditation. We
      hope you will be blessed.

      Please read Ecclesiastes 3:7

      Start with 30 seconds

      Silence is the great revelation.
      -- Lao-tse

      Attaining silence is not easy. Anthony De Mello
      writes about the riches of silence in his book
      "Sadhana: A Way to God." He suggests ten full
      minutes of pure silence are needed to experience
      profound insight. Many people discover to their
      amazement that they are not accustomed to inner
      silence. No matter what we do, it is hard to
      still the wanderings of our mind or quiet the
      emotional turmoil inside. Others might panic
      with inner silence. Do not be discouraged or
      frightened. Even our wandering thoughts are a
      revelation. If remaining silent for ten
      minutes is too difficult, start with thirty
      seconds. Build a foundation.

      Even two minutes of daily silence can help us
      build and grow into increased self-awareness.
      Silence reveals our very self to us. Money
      cannot buy what the silence will reveal.
      Wisdom, serenity, joy, and perhaps even a
      sense of the sacred will be ours.

      Silence takes work. We must have a comfortable
      posture. Close your eyes. Do not expect anything
      sensational. Do not seek anything at all. Simply
      observe and take in everything that comes to your
      awareness, no matter how trite and ordinary. The
      important thing is to be aware. As we become
      accustomed to silence, the quality of our silence
      will improve and our silence will deepen. Revelation
      is a mysterious power that can transform us.

      God, give me golden moments of silence today. Amen.

      Purchase "The Road to Emmaus" from Chi Rho Press for $9.95
      plus $2.50 shipping and handling. See
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#EMMAUS
      or send your check or money order for $12.45 for one copy
      to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available in a pre-publication
      sale offer at $16.95 (plus $3.50 for shipping and handling),
      a savings of $4.00 off the publication price. Six or more
      copies are $14.95 each plus shipping and handing, an even
      greater savings. You can find this great and limited
      opportunity on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok.