Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 1, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2004
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 1, 2004

      here is a selection from the soon-to-be-published
      new book of daily devotions, written by the Rev. Dr.
      Sandra Bochonok, called "Living as the Beloved: One
      Day at a Time."

      Please get out your Bible, read the verse from the
      Gospel and Dr. Bochonok's meditation. We hope you
      will be blessed.

      Please read Mark 1:1

      What is a Gospel?

      One Sunday after I had just preached, a member of
      the church board of directors quietly approached me
      with a question. "Excuse me," he said, obviously
      embarrassed. "But what is a Gospel?" I had referred
      to the Gospel a number of times during my sermon. He
      had no idea what I meant. Could I please explain?

      I suddenly realized if he had this profound question,
      so did many others. He was a well-respected leader
      in the church. He was extremely well informed
      regarding human rights and other justice issues,
      but he did not know what the Gospel was, despite
      serving in a key church leadership position.

      Like many other ministers, I had made some assumptions
      based on years of experience in the ordained ministry.
      I assumed listeners in church would know what the word
      "Gospel" meant. I was wrong in my assumptions. About
      half of the adult population in the USA also do not
      know the answer. They have never heard of the Sermon
      on the Mount and do not understand what Christians
      celebrate on Easter (George G. Hunter III, "How to
      Reach Secular People," pp 44-45). The Bible stories
      in the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are
      unknown treasures. The citation "John 3:16" means
      nothing to them.

      The word "Gospel" comes from the Greek word "evangel."
      It means "good news." The Gospels bring us good news
      in a world often full of bad news. They have amazing
      spiritual power. Reading them can help us begin to
      love and trust God. They are full of stories about
      spiritual hospitality and generosity. These stories
      offer us wonderful words of life.

      Try a ninety-day adventure with God in the months
      ahead. Consider reading a chapter per day in the
      Gospels. By doing this, you can easily read them in
      their entirety in eighty-nine days. They are full
      of stories about love and hate, trust and betrayal,
      life and death, miracles and more. "Come and see"
      (John 1: 39) for yourself. God will bless your
      readings. On the ninetieth day, consider taking
      a personal retreat day. Reflect on how the Gospels
      have helped your spiritual life and enhanced your
      understanding of God. Consider reading other books
      in the Bible. They will change your life with words
      of spiritual empowerment.

      God, it would be great to have some good news in a
      world so full of bad news. Help us be spiritually
      empowered by reading these amazing Gospel stories.

      Purchase "The Road to Emmaus" from Chi Rho Press for $9.95
      plus $2.50 shipping and handling. See
      or send your check or money order for $12.45 for one copy
      to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available in a pre-publication
      sale offer at $16.95 (plus $3.50 for shipping and handling),
      a savings of $4.00 off the publication price. Six or more
      copies are $14.95 each plus shipping and handing, an even
      greater savings. You can find this great and limited
      opportunity on our Web site at