Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 25, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2004
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 25, 2004

      here is a selection from the soon-to-be-published
      new book of daily devotions, written by the Rev. Dr.
      Sandra Bochonok, called "Living as the Beloved: One
      Day at a Time."

      Please get out your Bible, read the verse from the
      Psalm and Dr. Bochonok's meditation. We hope you
      will be blessed.

      Please read Acts 10:47

      Baptized in the name of Jesus Christ

      Baptism can be a controversial subject in many
      Christian churches. As a child, I was taught that
      only believers could be baptized. While in seminary,
      however, I changed denominations and was rather
      shocked to learn my new church affirmed and honored
      the practice of infant baptism. Clearly I had a great
      deal to learn and learn quickly. Over the years I
      have come to cherish these baptismal opportunities.

      As my ministerial understanding grew and deepened, I
      realized God blesses Christian baptism for gay, lesbian,
      bisexual, and transgendered people of faith too. But
      not all Christian churches or denominations would agree
      with this understanding. As a result, it is sometimes
      more difficult for these pilgrims to become church
      members and receive baptism for themselves and their
      children. And so once again, I found myself changing
      to a Christian denomination that would allow me to
      baptize them in the name of Jesus Christ.

      I clearly remember one lesbian couple and their search
      for a welcoming church after they adopted a beautiful
      baby boy in a small town in Virginia. I had been
      invited to preach at a Metropolitan Community Church
      (MCC) in their town. This small church had faithfully
      struggled without a pastor for the past two years and
      was using a variety of visiting pastors like me.

      This young family had recently discovered this MCC and
      wished to have their infant son baptized. They wanted
      to have him grow up in the church, hearing the wonderful
      Bible stories and experiencing the community of faith.
      They had been searching for a church home and for a
      pastor to baptize and bless their child. The church
      called and asked if I would consider baptizing the
      child. The mother and I then began a series of
      telephone conversations about infant baptism and
      church membership.

      God chose us to come together for a divine appointment.
      God honored this faithful small church with a child
      needing baptism. They were now entrusted with the
      next generation. It was obvious to me that the Holy
      Spirit was active in the lives of these eager parents.
      I felt honored to bless, baptize, and welcome this
      child and his parents into the Christian church.

      The Internet can often be a very helpful place to
      locate gay friendly churches and spirituality
      resources. Three helpful Web sites to begin your
      search and to learn more about this growing, global
      movement are www.wow2k.org, www.mccchurch.org, and
      www.christianlesbians.com.

      Come Holy Spirit. Linger in our hearts and teach us
      about this growing, global voice of faith among gay,
      lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered Christians.
      Guide our prayers today. Amen.

      Purchase "The Road to Emmaus" from Chi Rho Press for $9.95
      plus $2.50 shipping and handling. See
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#EMMAUS
      or send your check or money order for $12.45 for one copy
      to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available in a pre-publication
      sale offer at $16.95 (plus $3.50 for shipping and handling),
      a savings of $4.00 off the publication price Six or more
      copies are $14.95 each plus shipping and handing, an even
      greater savings. You can find this great and limited
      opportunity on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok.