Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 18, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2004
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 18, 2004

      here is a selection from the soon-to-be-published
      new book of daily devotions, written by the Rev. Dr.
      Sandra Bochonok, called "Living as the Beloved: One
      Day at a Time."

      Please get out your Bible, read the verse from the
      Psalm and Dr. Bochonok's meditation. We hope you
      will be blessed.

      Please read Psalm 25:2a

      Trust God

      "I think I believe in God," confided a gay man,
      "but I don?t trust God." I listened prayerfully
      as he continued to share painful experiences from
      past "Bible bashing" by well-intentioned, homophobic
      Christians. The Bible had been frequently used as a
      weapon against him. He was reluctant to use it as a
      spiritual resource. His spiritual injuries were soul
      deep.

      Many people have spiritual injuries. Perhaps we were
      abused as children or adults. Many of us have been
      betrayed, disappointed, and disillusioned by life.
      Life is difficult and sometimes enormously unfair.
      But it can also be incredibly beautiful, fulfilling,
      and wonderful.

      Whatever our life situation or sexual orientation may
      be, the Psalms are prayers that have stood the test
      of time. They are good for our souls and full of soul
      food. They give us the language of prayer. The Psalms
      empower our prayer life, equipping and energizing our
      honest heart to heart conversations with God. The
      Psalms help us with words when we are speechless and
      have feelings too deep for words.

      The Psalms are completely non-homophobic. The primary
      author was King David. David was passionately in love
      with a man named Jonathan. He loved Jonathan with a
      depth and passion that surpassed the love of women.
      These written prayers are safe for all people. Praying
      them can help us begin our own conversations with God.
      As we linger in conversation, trust will gradually grow.
      As trust grows, love will deepen. We can both trust
      and love God with all our hearts and souls, secret
      dreams and hopes, hurts and disappointments.

      The Psalms give us prayers from the heart. People from
      all walks of life have found words of faith, hope, and
      love as they struggled to pray. If you have never read
      the Psalms before, consider an adventure with God in
      the year ahead. There are 150 Psalms that give us
      words for prayer, words of praise, lament, anger, and
      confession of sin and great statements of faith. Try
      reading one a day. Before the year is half over, you
      will have read the entire prayer collection. In praying
      them, you will find God is enough. God is trustworthy.
      God is faithful. God is with us everywhere. God knows
      when we sit, stand, speak, and are silent. God cares.
      God helps. God rescues.

      God, help us trust you anew this year. Help us have
      many wonderful conversations with you.

      Purchase "The Road to Emmaus" from Chi Rho Press for $9.95
      plus $2.50 shipping and handling. See
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#EMMAUS
      or send your check or money order for $12.45 for one copy
      to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available in a pre-publication
      sale offer at $16.95 (plus $3.50 for shipping and handling),
      a savings of $4.00 off the publication price Six or more
      copies are $14.95 each plus shipping and handing, an even
      greater savings. You can find this great and limited
      opportunity on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok.