19th eNewsletter from Chi Rho Press

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2000
      Nineteenth eNewsletter

      Welcome once again to the Chi Rho Press eNewsletter. Please pass this
      eNewsletter on to your friends and colleagues.

      To join our list and get your own copy of our eNewsletter, send an e-mail
      message to ChiRhoPress-subscribe@egroups.com.

      All other e-mail should be directed to Adam@.... See the end of
      this eNewsletter for a complete list of e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. New Printing of �Called OUT!�
      2. Truluck Tour in August
      3. A Letter from the Mother of a Gay Son
      4. Fasting for Soulforce, by Christopher Hubble
      5. New $500 and $1000 Promissory Notes Are Now Available
      6. Hot Selling Books that You Won�t Want to Miss!
      7. Adam's Last Word

      1. New Printing of �Called OUT!�

      We are almost completely out of the first printing of �Called OUT: Voices and
      Gifts of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered Presbyterians,� edited by
      Jane Adams Spahr, Kathryn Poethig, Selisse Berry, and Melinda McLain, so we
      going to a second printing.

      �Called OUT� was our first anthology and contains essays by 39 LGBT people who
      are members (or former members) of the Presbyterian Church. It is divided
      six sections, �The OUT-Stretched Hand of God,� �OUT of Order,� �OUT and
      Organizing,� �OUT from the South,� The Importance of Being OUT,� and �OUT and
      Moved On.� It also contains a brief history of the movement for full
      of LGBT people in the Presbyterian Church, a Brief Introduction to
      �Presby-Speak,� a Chronology by James D. Anderson, and a Bibliography.

      In addition to the editors, contributors include Lisa Bove, Lawrence Reh,
      Rodger M. Wilson, Marvin Ellison, Daniel E. Smith, Charlotte Sindt (writing
      about her late son David), Doug Calderwood, Scott D. Anderson, Kathleen
      Buckley, Lisa Larges, Chris Glaser, James D. Anderson, George Link, Dick
      Hasbany and Craig Machado, Laurene Lafontaine, Howard B. Warren Jr., Winifred
      Legerton, Will Smith, Jim Earhart, Georgann Wilcoxon, Kathryn Cartledge,
      Jay Kleine Jr., Barbara Lynn Smith, Merrill Proudfoot, Martha Juillerat and
      Tammy Lindahl, Charles Collins, Lorna Shoemaker, Susan Leo, James Graves,
      Kathleen Morrison, Bill Silver, Bet Hannon, Diana Vezmar-Bailey, and Sandy

      Due to the increased costs of printing and paper, the second printing of
      �Called OUT� retails for $17.95 and can be ordered from Chi Rho Press at

      2. Truluck Tour in August

      Chi Rho Press will be bringing Dr. Rembert Truluck to the Washington area for
      up to two weeks at the end of July and the beginning of August. He is booked
      into a meeting with Integrity Northern Virginia on Friday evening, August
      4, at
      MCC Richmond on August 6, and to preach and lead a workshop after worship at
      Holy Redeemer MCC in College Park, Maryland on Sunday, August 13. Other
      bookings are being arranged now.

      Dr. Truluck will be available for up to two weeks (three weekends), beginning
      with Saturday, July 29 through all day Sunday, August 13. The exact length of
      his visit will, of course, depend on the number of events people would like to
      schedule. He is available to preach, lead workshops based on the book �Steps
      to Recovery from Bible Abuse,� lead workshops on many other topics (such as
      those found in the appendices of the book), and do book signings. At Holy
      Redeemer, Rev Clay Witt is having Dr. Truluck lead a workshop designed to
      be an
      introduction to the 52 week Bible study Holy Redeemer will have using the 13
      steps in the book.

      Naturally, we encourage non-weekend events. If those work well for your
      church, I would strongly encourage you to consider inviting Dr. Truluck for a
      mid-week event. I will be coordinating Dr. Truluck�s schedule, so please
      e-mail or call me to arrange for a visit to your church.

      We hope to be able to avoid hotel expenses, so we will be seeking homes
      (with a
      guest room) for Dr. Truluck to stay in while he is in the area. In
      addition, I
      will not be able to chauffeur him to all events, so we may rely on you for
      transportation to and from your event.

      Your cost will be a love offering or honorarium for Dr. Truluck for each event
      you schedule with him. If you care to purchase copies of �Steps to Recovery
      from Bible Abuse� for resale to your church members, we have discounts so that
      your church can even make some money!

      (By the way, I am available on some Sundays to come to your church to set up a
      Chi Rho Press bookstore, and would welcome the invitation to visit you for
      purpose. Please check out the range of our books and products at our web

      You may contact me at 301/926-1208 or by e-mail at Adam@... in
      order to arrange for Rembert Truluck to visit your congregation. I look
      forward to hearing from you.

      3. A Letter from the Mother of a Gay Son

      This is a Letter to the Editor from the mother of a gay son. You may very
      have seen it, because Sharon Underwood has written moving, powerful words
      are well worth reading and many people have already sent it around the
      internet. I apologize if you have seen this already.

      Sunday, April 30, 2000
      For the Valley News (White River Junction, VT/Hanover, NH)

      As the mother of a gay son, I've seen firsthand how cruel and misguided people
      can be. Many letters have been sent to the Valley News concerning the
      homosexual menace in Vermont. I am the mother of a gay son and I've taken
      enough from you good people.

      I'm tired of your foolish rhetoric about the "homosexual agenda" and your
      allegations that accepting homosexuality is the same thing as advocating sex
      with children. You are cruel and ignorant. You have been robbing me of the
      of motherhood ever since my children were tiny.

      My firstborn son started suffering at the hands of the moral little thugs from
      your moral, upright families from the time he was in the first grade. He was
      physically and verbally abused from first grade straight through high school
      because he was perceived to be gay. He never professed to be gay or had any
      association with anything gay, but he had the misfortune not to walk or have
      gestures like the other boys. He was called "fag" incessantly, starting when
      he was 6.

      In high school, while your children were doing what kids that age should be
      doing, mine labored over a suicide note, drafting and redrafting it to be sure
      his family knew how much he loved them. My sobbing 17-year-old tore the heart
      out of me as he choked out that he just couldn't bear to continue living any
      longer, that he didn't want to be gay and that he couldn't face a life without

      You have the audacity to talk about protecting families and children from the
      homosexual menace, while you yourselves tear apart families and drive children
      to despair. I don't know why my son is gay, but I do know that God didn't put
      him, and millions like him, on this Earth to give you someone to abuse. God
      gave you brains so that you could think, and it's about time you started doing

      At the core of all your misguided beliefs is the belief that this could never
      happen to you, that there is some kind of subculture out there that people
      chosen to join. The fact is that if it can happen to my family, it can happen
      to yours, and you won't get to choose. Whether it is genetic or whether
      something occurs during a critical time of fetal development, I don't know. I
      can only tell you with an absolute certainty that it is inborn.

      If you want to tout your own morality, you'd best come up with something more
      substantive than your heterosexuality. You did nothing to earn it; it was
      to you. If you disagree, I would be interested in hearing your story, because
      my own heterosexuality was a blessing I received with no effort whatsoever on
      my part. It is so woven into the very soul of me that nothing could ever
      it. For those of you who reduce sexual orientation to a simple choice, a
      character issue, a bad habit or something that can be changed by a 10-step
      program, I'm puzzled. Are you saying that your own sexual orientation is
      nothing more than something you have chosen, that you could change it at will?
      If that's not the case, then why would you suggest that someone else can?

      A popular theme in your letters is that Vermont has been infiltrated by
      outsiders. Both sides of my family have lived in Vermont for generations. I
      am heart and soul a Vermonter, so I'll thank you to stop saying that you are
      speaking for "true Vermonters."

      You invoke the memory of the brave people who have fought on the battlefield
      for this great country, saying that they didn't give their lives so that the
      "homosexual agenda" could tear down the principles they died defending. My
      83-year-old father fought in some of the most horrific battles of World War
      was wounded and awarded the Purple Heart. He shakes his head in sadness at
      life his grandson has had to live. He says he fought alongside homosexuals in
      those battles, that they did their part and bothered no one. One of his best
      friends in the service was gay, and he never knew it until the end, and
      when he
      did find out, it mattered not at all. That wasn't the measure of the man.

      You religious folk just can't bear the thought that as my son emerges from the
      hell that was his childhood he might like to find a lifelong companion and
      a measure of happiness. It offends your sensibilities that he should request
      the right to visit that companion in the hospital, to make medical decisions
      for him or to benefit from tax laws governing inheritance.

      How dare he? you say. These outrageous requests would threaten the very
      existence of your family, would undermine the sanctity of marriage. You use
      religion to abdicate your responsibility to be thinking human beings. There
      vast numbers of religious people who find your attitudes repugnant. God is not
      for the privileged majority, and God knows my son has committed no sin.

      The deep-thinking author of a letter to the April 12 Valley News who lectures
      about homosexual sin and tells us about "those of us who have been blessed
      the benefits of a religious upbringing" asks: "What ever happened to the idea
      of striving . . . to be better human beings than we are?"

      Indeed, sir, what ever happened to that?

      Sharon Underwood lives in White River Junction, Vt.

      4. Fasting for Soulforce

      Chris Hubble resides in Denver, Colorado, and is the author of �Lord Given
      Lovers: The Biblical Romance of David and Jonathan,� to be published by Chi
      Press later this year. Chris has been a student of satyagraha, the
      civil disobedience taught by Mohandas K. Gandhi in India and utilized by the
      Rev. Martin Luther King in the civil rights struggle here in the United
      States. Now satyagraha is being taught and used by the Rev. Mel White, and
      openly gay clergyman in the Metropolitan Community Churches. Dr. White is
      bringing �Soulforce� to bear on the religious opponents of LGBT people, with
      significant effect.

      Chi Rho Press asked Chris to write about his experience of fasting along with
      Dr. White and thousands of people around the world, as Soulforce confronted
      United Methodist Church General Conference in Ohio this last week. Here is
      Chris� report:

      "Hey Chris, you hungry?"

      Christina, the receptionist at my workplace, looked shocked. "I have a piece
      of carrot cake, here." I have a reputation around our office of always
      where the free food is.

      "I really can't. I'm fasting today."

      "Are you stupid?"

      I asked Christina if she'd ever heard of Soulforce and explained that,
      collectively, Soulforce is the principles of nonviolent resistance taught by
      M. K. Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Jr. Of course, she'd never heard of
      White. Rev. White is a gay minister who used to be a ghostwriter for many
      figures of the religious right. He came out about ten years ago and is now a
      cofounder of Soulforce, Inc.

      Soulforce, Inc. is a, "network of friends learning nonviolence from Gandhi and
      King seeking justice for God's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered
      Children." Mel has devoted his life to applying these principles in our
      collective struggle for LGBT Justice. Over the past year and a half, he has
      accomplished many modern day miracles:

      Last fall, he co-hosted an anti-violence forum with Rev. Jerry Falwell in
      Lynchburg, Virginia. Mel and two hundred other Soulforce Activists engaged in
      a weekend long dialogue with Jerry and two hundred of his fellow church
      and students at Liberty University.

      This February, Rev. White and several fellow clergy members staged a
      demonstration outside FoxFamily Network, who broadcasts Pat Robertson's "The
      700-Club". A week or so after the demonstration, the president of FoxFamily
      e-mailed Mel and invited him to join in negotiation. A little over a month
      after Soulforce's demonstration, FoxFamily agreed to give Soulforce, Inc.
      public service time to rebut Rev. Robertson's antigay rhetoric.

      Last week, Soulforce organized a mass arrest in Cleveland. Roughly 200
      people including Arun Gandhi (M. K. Gandhi's grandson), Yolanda King (Dr.
      King's daughter), and several other leaders of the Civil Rights Movement
      protested the antigay policies of the United Methodist Church. The mass
      coincided with the United Methodist General Conference.

      When I first discovered Mel's teachings I was cynical. "I'm sick of
      suffering! I left suffering behind when I came out of the closet," I wrote
      Mel. I felt our best hope for achieving justice was to live our lives openly
      and to continue our efforts in the political arena.

      In his 1963 letter from the Birmingham jail, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.,
      wrote, "Non-violent direct action seeks to create such a crisis and foster
      a tension that a community which has constantly refused to negotiate is forced
      to confront the issue. It seeks so to dramatize the issue that it can no
      longer be ignored."

      With his Direct Actions, this is exactly what Mel is doing. He is dramatizing
      that we aren't evil, that we are precious Children of a Loving Creator who
      deserve to be treated with dignity, respect, and equal treatment under the
      law. He has, rightly, directed his efforts at our religious opponents because
      the greatest untruth told in our society is that the Bible condemns
      homosexuality. Of course it doesn't! The story of David and Jonathan is one
      of the most moving and clear examples of same-sex love and Holy Union (I & II
      Samuel). Unfortunately, the "Terror Texts" have been mistranslated,
      misinterpreted, and misrepresented to justify condemnation, persecution, and
      the continued denial of our civil rights.

      This is why I chose to fast while Mel White and Soulforce were in
      Cleveland. I
      couldn't be there, but I wanted to do something. I conducted a water fast
      during the entire Soulforce Direct Action in Cleveland - from 7 p.m. Monday to
      7 a.m. Thursday. Fasting is one means by which one can detach one's attention
      from sense attachments, obtain greater concentration, and focus in prayer.
      This act of voluntary redemptive suffering was my demonstration of commitment
      to our movement and Soulforce. The vow to Voluntary Redemptive Suffering is
      one of the five Soulforce vows, or promises. The other four Soulforce Vows
      the vows to Truth, to Love, to control passions, and to limit possessions.

      "Don't you know you can DIE if you don't eat?" I looked at Christina and
      "Yes." This is part of the power of Soulforce. Through demonstrating our
      willingness to give our very lives, we demonstrate our persistence and
      dedication to bringing our truth to our opponents.

      My conversation with Christina was one of many opportunities I was given to
      dramatize the issue of LGBT Justice for my coworkers. We seldom realize how
      important a role food plays in our daily lives. One simply cannot fast in our
      society without drawing attention.

      The fast went well and was relatively painless. I drank plenty of water, lost
      six pounds, and didn't die.

      In fact, this evening I enjoyed a wonderful piece of carrot cake.

      5. New $500 and $1000 Promissory Notes Are Now Available

      The Board of Directors has decided to offer Promissory Notes in multiples of
      $500 to supporters who wish to invest in Chi Rho Press. Like our $1,000
      Promissory Notes, the $500 Notes are repaid at 8% simple interest over a
      two-year period, with payments being made every three months. For more
      details, e-mail Adam@....

      Promissory Notes in $500 increments are available now. Income from these
      investments will be used to complete debt consolidation and retirement and as
      capital for the production of new books and for new printings of existing

      We are especially looking for people to invest in the reprint of �Called OUT�
      and two of our popular �Handouts,� called �What do We Believe� and �Welcome to
      MCC.� Please invest in YOUR LGBT Christian publishing house now and get a
      return on your money!

      6. Hot Selling Books that You Won�t Want to Miss!

      These are the Chi Rho Press books that are our best sellers this spring:

      �Called OUT: The Voices and Gifts of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and
      Presbyterians,� edited by Jane Adams Spahr, Kathryn Poethig, Selisse Berry,
      Melinda McLain, second printing soon available for $17.95 each, six or more
      copies for $15.25, plus shipping and handling.

      �Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse,� by Dr. Rembert Truluck; available for
      $24.95 each, six or more copies for $18.75 each, plus shipping and handling.

      �Come Home! Reclaiming Spirituality and Community as Gay Men and Lesbians,�
      second edition, by Chris Glaser; available for $19.95 each, $14.95 each for
      or more copies, plus shipping and handling.

      �From Wounded Hearts: Faith Stories of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and
      Transgendered People and Those Who Love Them,� compiled and edited by Roberta
      Showalter Kreider; available for $19.95 each, $14.95 each for six or more
      copies, plus shipping and handling.

      �The Bible and Homosexuality,� fifth edition, by the Rev. Michael England;
      available for $10.95 each, $8.95 each for six or more copies, plus shipping

      �My Memory Book! A Journal for Grieving Children,� second edition, by
      Gaines Lane; available for $10.95 each, $8.95 each for six or more copies,
      plus shipping and handling.

      Chi Rho Press� shipping and handling charges are $2.50 for orders up to
      $3.50 for orders of $20 to $39.99, $4.50 for orders of $40 to $59.99, $5.50
      orders of $60 to $79.99, $6.50 for orders of $80 to $99.99, and 7% of the
      for orders of $100 and over.

      Send your check or money order, made out to Chi Rho Press, to us at P.O. Box
      7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898. You may also order via e-mail and be invoiced,
      write to Orders@... with the books you want and your mailing
      address and phone number.

      7. Adam's Last Word.

      The last few weeks have been very busy. May 19, 20, and 21 I was in Knoxville
      for the Gulf Lower Atlantic District Conference in Knoxville, TN. The Rev.
      Neely, District Coordinator, and his staff put on a wonderful conference, as
      usual. Guest speakers included the Rev. Don Pederson, Southwest District
      Coordinator, the Rev. Dolores Berry, evangelist extraordinaire, and Dr.
      Truluck. Sales of Chi Rho Press books were good and the conference was
      inspiring and fulfilling.

      Memorial Day weekend, Kevin Fries and I went to New York City on a
      vacation weekend. We stayed in a wonderful little bed and breakfast and had a
      great time in the Big Apple.

      Then June 2 through 4 I drove to Indianapolis, IN, for the Great Lakes
      Conference. District Coordinator Ms. Judy Dale and here team had yet another
      excellent conference with the Rev. Elder Hong Tan from London and evangelist
      the Rev. Elder Jeri Ann Harvey as special guests.

      Many thanks to the good people of both these districts for their hospitality
      and generosity.

      Traveling for three weekends in a row has left me physically tired, but I am
      spiritually energized by the two wonderful conferences I attended. There is a
      lot to catch up on here at the Chi Rho Press offices orders to fill,
      e-mail to
      answer, reprints to arrange, and manuscripts to review, but we are making good
      progress! As always, I covet your prayers and support.

      The Chi Rho Press board of directors meets Saturday, June 24 (the day after my
      birthday I am dedicated or what?). We have had significant income from sales
      and from investments recently and decisions to make about new projects in the
      works, so it will be an important meeting.

      We are glad you are partners with us here at Chi Rho Press. We are eager for
      your comments, your suggestions, your assistance with selling our books, and
      your own purchases! And of course, we covet your prayers for this ministry.

      Grace and peace,

      Adam DeBaugh, Director

      If you've received our eNewsletter as a result of the good offices of someone
      passing it along to you (which we certainly encourage) and would like to
      receive it directly from us, please follow the directions at the end of our
      eNewsletter to subscribe.

      For orders, please write to us: Orders@.... If you have questions,
      please write to Question@.... For comments and suggestions about
      this eNewsletter, please write eNews@.... For all other
      correspondence, please write Adam@....

      You may order any of our books via snail mail, telephone, fax, or e-mail at
      Orders@.... We will ship your order with an invoice. Include your
      e-mail address, mailing address, and telephone number please.

      Visit our web page at http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      For the convenience of our friends outside of the USA, we suggest ordering our
      books through Amazon.com.

      Our Canadian friends can order through our Canadian distributor, MAP
      Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, Box 340, 54 Centre St., Odessa, ONT., Canada,
      K0H 2H0; e-mail: mapenterprises@...; phone or fax: 1-613-386-5711; or
      toll free (leave a message) 1-877-245-9569.

      Copyright 2000, Chi Rho Press, Inc.

      SUBSCRIBE: ChiRhoPress-subscribe@egroups.com
      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website

      Grace and peace,