Chi Rho Connection, Vol. IV, No. 24

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2004

      Vol. IV, No. 24

      1. Pre-publication Sale of "LIVING AS THE
      BELOVED: One Day at a Time"
      2. A Book of Lenten Meditation "For Another
      Flock"
      3. The "2004 Liturgical Calendar"
      4. December Sales Report
      5. Sanctoral Cycle

      This Issue's Quotes:

      "Yes, you can be a dreamer and a doer too, if you will
      remove one word from your vocabulary: impossible."
      -- Robert Schuller

      1. Pre-publication Sale of "LIVING AS THE
      BELOVED: One Day at a Time"

      Chi Rho Press is pleased to announce the imminent
      publication of a new book of daily devotions, "Living
      as the Beloved: One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr.
      Sandra L. Bochonok. We expect to go to press by the
      end of December and this pre-publication sale is on
      through the release of the book in the end of January,
      2004.

      The list price for the book will be $20.95, but until
      the book rolls off the presses in January, the special
      pre-publication sale cost is only $16.95 (plus shipping
      and handling), a savings of $4.00! Six or more copies
      are $14.95 each plus shipping and handing, an even
      greater savings. You can find this great opportunity
      on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok.

      If you are buying this as a holiday gift we can send you
      specially printed gift cards with a full color photo of
      the cover!

      Dr. Bochonok is the founder of the very popular Soul
      Food Ministry Web site (www.soulfoodministry.org), a
      special work of Metropolitan Community Church of
      Washington, DC.

      "Living As The Beloved" has a Scripture reading,
      meditation, and prayer for every day of the year.
      Dr. Bochonok's meditations are poignant, wise, and
      amazingly pastoral. Her many years of ministry as
      a military chaplain and pastor, and now as an Internet
      pastor shine through her every word. Her meditations
      are simple, basic Christian teaching, yet glow with
      power, grace, and beauty. These are devotions that
      will light your days for many years to come.

      Dr. Bochonok's beloved grandmother is the inspiration
      for many of the daily devotions found in "Living as
      the Beloved." Her familiar saying, "One day at a time,
      dear Lord, one day at a time" is reflected from time
      to time throughout the book.

      Read this small section from Dr. Bochonok's Foreword,

      "My beloved grandmother blessed me with a rich
      spiritual legacy that I wish to pass on to the
      next generation. Her faith was deep and simple.
      She prayed every day of her adult life and would
      often croon, 'One day at a time, dear Lord, one
      day at a time.' 'One day at a time' became her
      mantra for living when life was difficult. She
      loved reading the Bible and she loved her church.
      I wish to honor her blessed memory and faithful
      life with the title of this book.

      "Several years after her death, my life and
      ministry was transformed when I first read the
      late Henri J. M. Nouwen's devotional book, 'Life
      of the Beloved: Spiritual Living in a Secular
      World.' Belovedness was something I desperately
      needed. . . . I read Nouwen's book numerous times
      and eventually co-facilitated the first Beloved
      Retreat specifically for gay, lesbian, bisexual,
      and transgendered people. . . . I became determined
      to spend the remainder of my life helping people
      reclaim their belovedness, especially among those
      the traditional mainstream churches often rejected
      because of their sexual orientation."

      We are sure you will agree that Dr. Bochonok has
      fulfilled her goal of "helping people reclaim
      their belovedness" with this wonderful new book.

      Order your special pre-publication sale copy of
      "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a Time" today.
      Only $16.95, plus shipping and handling, six or
      more copies are $14.95 each plus shipping and
      handing.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Bochonok

      2. A Book of Lenten Meditations: "For Another Flock"

      Chi Rho Press continues to have copies of last years book
      Of Lenten Meditations, "For Another Flock: Rainbow
      Meditations and Study Guide for Lent," by Jeffrey Lea.
      ($10.95 each, $8.95 each for six or more copies, plus
      shipping and handling.) View it on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#ForAnotherFlock.

      Written out of the deep faith and learning of a gay
      practicing Roman Catholic and from a Catholic
      perspective, "For Another Flock" includes daily
      meditations for all the days of Lent and Holy Week,
      beginning with Ash Wednesday (which this year is Feb.
      25), and ending with Easter Sunday (April 10, 2004).
      Scripture readings are provided for every day in Lent
      and Holy Week followed by a reflection from a uniquely
      gay and Catholic point of view and a prayer.

      Following the daily meditations is a seven-week Lenten
      Bible Study Guide. Jeff Lea's introduction explores Lent
      as a penitential season, discussing penance and repentance.
      Each weekly Bible Study starts with a Gospel reading.
      There is a Lenten theme for each of the seven sessions.
      Week One is "An Ash Wednesday Ritual and Discussion of
      the Nature of Penance." Week Two is "The Nature of
      Temptation." Week Three is "The Meaning of Sin in our
      Lives." Week Four is "Faithfulness and Homosexuality."
      Week Five is "The Joy of Being Gay." Week Six is "The
      Meaning of Judgement." And the concluding session is
      "The Last Supper and the Mandatum" (New Commandment).

      Seven Appendices conclude the book: Solemnities and
      Feasts in Lent, Lectionary Cycle Calendar, The Books
      of the Old Testament of the Various Biblical Traditions,
      Small Group Study Guidelines, an Ash Wednesday Liturgy,
      a Maundy Thursday Liturgy, and a Bibliography.

      Jeff Lea writes, "Far too many gay women and men continue
      to view the primary Christian scripture, the Holy Bible,
      as a document hostile to people whose expression of
      intimate love is homosexual. Nothing can be further
      from the truth. While the Bible does condemn the
      ritualistic abuse of human sexuality it does not ever
      express a view of same-sex love as an abomination. In
      fact it affirms it in the love story of Jonathan and
      David.

      "The Bible's primary message is Love. To love God,
      ourselves, and each other as God has loved us. The
      Bible is not a handbook on how to hate sin. It is a
      transcript of the ongoing love story between God and
      the people of God.

      "Lent is the primary renewing and penitential season
      of the Church year. It is the time of personal
      examination and purification before we enter into the
      Paschal mystery on Easter Sunday. We are at the door
      to salvation during this time. Gay people are also at
      that door and we too have an experience of conversion
      and faith. These meditations present the point of view
      of a gay male Christian exploring the liminal experience
      of coming out gay, coming out Christian, and discovering
      affirmation in the Bible. The book provides both a
      daily meditation on the scriptural readings for Lent,
      and a seven-week group study that explores penance from
      a positive gay perspective."

      "For Another Flock: Rainbow Meditations and Study Guide
      for Lent" is spiral bound, 5 ½" x 8 ½", 104 pages, and
      sells for $10.95 each, $8.95 each for six or more copies,
      plus shipping and handling.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#ForAnotherFlock

      3. The "2004 Liturgical Calendar"

      There is still time to purchase your copy of "A Liturgical
      Calendar and Lectionary, Year C, November 2003 through
      November 2004," compiled by Dr. David Kerr Park. Spiral
      bound, 8 ½" x 11", 84 pages. $10.95 each, six or more
      copies for $8.95 each, plus shipping and handling.
      Now available on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Park2003.

      Our Liturgical Calendar is packed with useful information
      for planning worship and preaching in the local church
      for each Sunday and Holy Day of the Church Year. It
      is intended for use by pastors, musicians, altar guilds,
      teachers, theological students, and anyone using the
      Church Year as a basis for worship or education. The
      Liturgical Calendar is spiral bound so it can lie flat
      for easy use, in a new, larger 8 ½" x 11" format.

      Order your copy of the 2004 Liturgical Calendar today!
      See it on our Web site at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Park2003

      $10.95 each, six or more copies for $8.95 each.

      4. December Sales Report

      Many thanks to all our loyal customers, who have made
      the last month of 2003 the biggest grossing month in
      terms of credit card sales in Chi Rho Press' history!

      Many of the sales, of course, were for the pre-
      publication sale of our next big book, "Living as the
      Beloved: One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra
      Bochonok, but advance sales of "Living" were only 55%
      of the sales for the month!

      October and November sales were excellent as well, and
      we are very pleased with the support of our friends and
      customers. We are delighted that you are finding the
      ministry of Chi Rho Press to be useful in your life and
      ministry. Thank you for making this a good year for
      YOUR LGBT Christian publishing house.

      We look forward to serving you in more and better ways
      in 2004, with more resources and books for your use.

      5. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional and modern saints and
      various holy days and holidays listed in the 2004
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      *****

      Thu. Jan. 1, Holy Name of Jesus. Perhaps as a
      counterbalance to the ancient pagan festivities
      around the New Year, the Church came to associate
      Jan. 1st with the naming of Jesus at his circumcision
      (Lk 2:21). Angels appeared to both Joseph (Mt 1:18-25)
      and Mary (Lk 1:26-38) telling them to name him Jesus,
      which was a common Jewish name meaning "God saves."

      Thu. Jan. 1, New Year's Day. In Catholic tradition
      this day celebrates Mary, Mother of God. It is also
      the Shinto New Year.

      Sat. Jan. 3, Takashi Nagai (1908-1951). Mystic of
      Nagasaki. Nagai witnessed the atomic blast over his
      city. His wife's charred remains were found in the
      Catholic cathedral, rosary clasped in her hands. As
      a physician he worked tirelessly for the survivors.
      When the radiation left him an invalid he became a
      contemplative, devoting himself to a life of prayer.
      He believed Nagasaki was chosen as a sacrifice to atone
      for the sins of the war and to become a symbol for
      world peace.

      Mon. Jan. 5, Lanza del Vasto (1901-1981). Founder of
      the Community of the Ark and Catholic follower of Gandhi.
      He was raised in a wealthy Italian family. In his search
      for meaning in life he traveled to India and studied with
      Gandhi. Upon returning to the West he was determined to
      bring a message of peace and nonviolence that was rooted
      in his Catholic faith.

      Mon. Jan. 5, Guru Gobindh Singh birthday (Sikh). Sikh
      festival honoring the birth of the founder of the Khalsa
      who lived from 1469-1539 ce.

      Tue. Jan. 6, the Epiphany of Jesus. The day traditionally
      associated with the arrival of the Magi to visit the baby
      Jesus. In many traditions Epiphany is more important than
      Christmas, and is the day to give gifts. A principal
      theme is the breaking forth of light to all the world,
      especially to the Gentiles.

      Wed. Jan. 7, New Year (Buddhist).

      Wed. Jan. 7, Felix and Mary Barreda (d. 1983). Lay
      apostles and martyrs in Nicaragua. While helping with
      the coffee harvest, an act they knew to entail great
      risk, they were abducted by the Contras and subjected
      to repeated torture, rape, and finally execution. Their
      interrogators tried to get them to say they were
      communists, but they insisted they were only Christians
      living out their faith. They had been active in the
      Cursillo renewal movement and led a "base community"
      group in their home. Their commitment to justice and
      working with the poor grew out of their faith and
      reading Scripture. The people proclaimed them martyrs
      who laid down their lives for the Gospel.

      Mon. Jan 12, Coming of Age Day (Japan).

      Tue. Jan. 13, George Fox (1624-1691). Renewer of
      society and founder of the Society of Friends. Fox
      proclaimed a simple message to the people of England,
      and suffered imprisonment and persecution for it. He
      taught that Christians should live simply, not swear
      any oaths, not make distinctions of social class, and
      to oppose war and violence. He opposed ordination of
      clergy or the use of formal forms of worship. The
      measure of a person's faith was not in theology or
      even the Bible, but in their own personal spiritual
      experience. His followers became known as Quakers,
      a group which represented the left wing of Puritanism.

      Wed. Jan. 14, Martin Niemoeller (1892-1984). Confessing
      pastor. A former U-boat commander, this Lutheran pastor
      opposed the rise of Nazi power and its attempt to co-opt
      the German Church for its own racist propaganda. The
      Confessing Church movement was suppressed by the Nazis,
      and Niemoeller was sent to Dachau until the end of the
      war. He became an active pacifist and opponent of
      anti-Semitism.

      Fri. Jan. 16, Religious Freedom Day (USA).
      Established in 2002 by President George W. Bush.

      *****

      Order the new 2004 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary,
      complete with the entire year's Sanctoral Cycle, at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Park2003

      Well, that's it! I have had it with 2003!
      It's time for a new year!

      Our prayer here at Chi Rho Press is that you all find
      2004 to be filled with every good thing for you and
      your loved ones.

      May God bless you abundantly in the new year.

      *****

      Work is speeding along on "Living as the Beloved," by
      Sandy Bochonok and we are very excited about it's
      imminent publication. Be sure to order your copy
      now and save with our pre-publication sale!

      *****

      Happy New Year!

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her Web page, http://www.christiangays.com

      R. Adam DeBaugh
      Chi Rho Press, Your LGBT Christian Publishing House
      Subscribe to Chi Rho Connection, our free electronic newsletter
      mailto:ChiRhoPress-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Please visit the Chi Rho Press Website.
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com