Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 28, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2003
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 28, 2003

      is a meditation from "The Road to Emmaus," a book of
      of faith. These reflections start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by R. Adam
      DeBaugh.

      Please read Matthew 2:13-18

      The Feast of the Holy Innocents

      So soon after the angels tell us, "Be not afraid,"
      there is this sad and tragic story of the murder of
      innocent children. Jesus is born, his birth is
      celebrated, God is glorified and praised, and suddenly
      we read of Herod's fear of this long-heralded Messiah,
      a fear that leads to a horrible act of vengeance and
      death.

      What is the point of commemorating this senseless act
      of evil so soon after the joy of the birth of Jesus?
      The point IS the birth of Jesus! And the point of the
      birth and life of Jesus is not that the senseless
      tragedies on earth have ended, as Jesus' own death
      attests; the point is that there is a power greater
      than all the tragedies in the world that has entered
      the world to overcome them, as Jesus' Resurrection
      attests.

      Therefore, even though death, injustice, oppression,
      murder, and all kinds of vicious acts continue in our
      world, the good news is that they do not have the final
      word. There is a God whose power has come into the
      world to overcome all evil.

      What can we say about the slaughter of the innocents?
      With Paul we affirm, "Who shall separate us from the
      love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or
      persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or
      sword? . . . No, in all these things we are more than
      conquerors through the one who loved us" (Romans 8:35,
      37).

      God of Love, be with me in times of joy and in times
      of pain. I know that nothing can separate me from
      your love.

      Amen.

      We at Chi Rho Press, wish you a blessed Christmas
      Season and a New Year filled with every good thing.

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,