Chi Rho Connection, Vol. IV, No. 21

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2003

      Vol. IV, No. 21

      1. The New "2004 Liturgical Calendar" is Out!
      2. Stained Glass Available
      3. Rainbow Key Chains and Bracelets
      4. Books Make Great Gifts!
      5. Biblical Marriage
      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      This Issue's Quotes:

      More of Will Rogers on growing older:

      "You know you're getting old when everything either
      dries up or leaks."

      "I don't know how I got over the hill without getting
      to the top."

      "One of the many things no one tells you about aging
      is that it is such a nice change from being young."

      "One must wait until evening to see how splendid the
      day has been."

      "Being young is beautiful, but being old is
      comfortable."

      "If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't
      have anything to laugh at when you are old."

      1. The New "2004 Liturgical Calendar" is Out!

      "A Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary, Year C, November
      2003 through November 2004," compiled by Dr. David Kerr
      Park. Spiral bound, 8 ½" x 11", 84 pages. $10.95 each,
      six or more copies for $8.95 each, plus shipping and
      handling. Now available on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Park2003.

      Chi Rho Press is pleased to announce a brand new
      Liturgical Calendar for the coming church year. Our
      Liturgical Calendar is packed with useful information
      for planning worship and preaching in the local church
      for each Sunday and Holy Day of the Church Year. It
      is intended for use by pastors, musicians, altar guilds,
      teachers, theological students, and anyone using the
      Church Year as a basis for worship or education. The
      Liturgical Calendar is spiral bound so it can lie flat
      for easy use, in a new, larger 8 ½" x 11" format.

      Order your copy of the 2004 Liturgical Calendar today!
      See it on our Web site at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Park2003

      $10.95 each, six or more copies for $8.95 each.

      2. Stained Glass Available

      Like books, stained glass makes wonderful holiday gifts.
      The stained glass elf has been busy in the Chi Rho
      Press workshop (or should that be stained glass bear?).

      Check out the stained glass section of our Web page at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/stainedglass.html.
      There are pictures of all five stained glass pieces:

      The clear cross (usually with a red center) for $12.00;

      The LGBT rainbow flag for $18.00;

      The red AIDS ribbon for $7.50;

      The rainbow cross for $18.00;

      And the rainbow Star of David for $18.00, all plus
      shipping and handling.

      Use our handy shopping cart and pay with your credit card!
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/stainedglass.html

      Put the stained glass bear to work!

      3. Rainbow Key Chains and Bracelets

      Rainbow Key Chains and Rainbow Bracelets make great
      stocking stuffers. Only $2.00 each (plus shipping and
      handling), you may see a picture of these items and order
      them on our Web site.

      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/tchotchkas.html

      4. Books Make Great Gifts!

      What if we could point you to a store which is open
      24 hours a day, seven days a week; where you can shop
      in your pajamas if you want; where you can buy books,
      stained glass, and even stocking stuffers; and where
      shipping is free for orders over $100! Of course, we
      are talking about our own Web page,
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      Books make great gifts! Titles such as Steps to
      Recovery from Bible Abuse, The Bible and Homosexuality,
      Come Home!, Called OUT!, Positively Gay, My Memory
      Book, the new 2004 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary,
      The Children are Free, The Road to Emmaus, and Together
      in Love are all available and ready to ship. Plus we
      have a video tape, an audio tape, five different stained
      glass designs, rainbow key chains and bracelets, and
      more!

      *****

      We have designed gift certificates that can be made out
      for any amount you care to give.

      These are not yet available on our Web site, so send your
      check with a note indicating that you are buying a Gift
      Certificate and we will make up an attractive Gift
      Certificate for the amount of your check for you to give
      along with a copy of our catalog.

      Chi Rho Press Gift Certificates make excellent gifts!
      Order some today at Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,

      Come shop at Chi Rho Press!

      5. Biblical Marriage

      Variations of this have been floating around the
      Internet and some people have even sent copies to
      their legislators. I'm not sure if the person whose
      name was on the copy I received is the original author,
      but the list of Biblical forms of marriage which he
      cited in his letter to his Parliamentary delegate has
      appeared in a variety forms and contexts, especially
      on the Internet. It is a good exposition on some of
      the elements of true Biblical marriage.

      Marriage in shall consist of a union between one man
      and one or more women (Gen 29:17-28; II Sam 3:2-5).

      Marriage shall not impede a man's right to take
      concubines in addition to his wife or wives (II Sam
      5:13; I Kings 11:3; II Chron 11:21).

      A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife
      is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall
      be executed (Deut 22:13-21).

      Marriage of a believer and a non-believer shall be
      forbidden (Gen 24:3; Num 25:1-9; Ezra 9:12; Neh 10:30).

      Since marriage is for life, neither the Constitution
      nor the constitution of any State, nor any state or
      federal law, shall be construed to permit divorce
      (Deut 22:19; Mark 10:9).

      If a married man dies without children, his brother
      shall marry the widow. If he refuses to marry his
      brother's widow or deliberately does not give her
      children, he shall pay a fine of one shoe and be
      otherwise punished in a manner determined by law
      (Gen 38:6-10; Deut 25:5-10).

      Any man with a beautiful wife may pass her off as
      his sister, and have her sleep with a powerful man
      to his own advantage (Gen 12:13).

      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional and modern saints and
      various holy days and holidays listed in the 2003
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      *****

      Sun. Nov. 16, St. Margaret (1046-1093). Queen and
      patron of Scotland. One of the last members of
      Anglo-Saxon royalty, she married King Malcolm of
      Scotland. There she devoted much of her life to
      reforming the church and clergy, as well as founding
      many schools, hospitals, and orphanages. She was
      famous for her love for the poor and for reducing
      warfare between the clans.

      Sat. Nov. 20, Revolution Anniversary (Mexico)

      Wed. Nov. 24, Diwali (Hindu). Festival of Lights
      recognizing the human urge to move toward the light.
      Features the exchange of gifts, fireworks and festive
      meals.

      Thu. Nov. 25, Thanksgiving Day (USA)

      Fri. Nov. 26, Sojourner Truth (1797-1883). Abolitionist
      preacher. Born a slave to a Dutch family in New York,
      Sojourner (a name she chose later in life) was freed
      when slavery there was abolished. She became noted as
      a passionate itinerant preacher and a legend even in
      her own life. She devoted her life to the antislavery
      cause, and later to women's suffrage and equal rights.
      While some thought it was best to set aside the rights
      of women for a later date, in her mind the two were
      inseparable. She was widely acknowledged as one of
      the most influential women of her day.

      Sat. Nov. 27, Harvey Milk (1931-1978). First openly
      gay elected official (U.S.A.). Although not a
      professional politician, Harvey Milk ran for a seat as
      a City Supervisor in San Francisco in order to stand
      for the rights of people without a voice blue collar
      workers, the elderly, racial minorities, and especially
      gays and lesbians. He expected he would die violently,
      and was shot five times at close range by another
      politician angered at his stand for gays. That night
      40,000 people took to the streets in a candle light
      vigil outside City Hall. Although not a religious
      person, he is remembered because, as Cardinal Juan
      Fresnos of Chile said, "Whosoever stands up for human
      rights stands up for the rights of God."

      Sat. Nov. 29, Dorothy Day (1897-1980). Prophet of
      social justice. Despite the fact she held no official
      position in the Catholic church, and that her thoughts
      were mostly rejected in her life, it was said at her
      death that she was "the most influential, interesting,
      and significant figure" in the history of American
      Catholicism. Committed to social justice and pacifism,
      she founded a lay movement, the Catholic Worker, which
      sought to live out the radical gospel commandment of
      love in the social and political realm by embracing
      voluntary poverty.

      *****

      Order the new 2004 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary,
      complete with the entire year's Sanctoral Cycle, at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Park2003

      Christmas is a little over a month away! We continue to
      highlight things which we think will make
      great Christmas gifts: stained glass, rainbow key
      chains and bracelets, and, of course, books.
      Remember, you can do ALL your holiday shopping right
      on www.ChiRhoPress.com, pay using your credit card,
      and never leave the warm light of your computer!

      Give the gifts of knowledge and inspiration for the
      holidays this year. Give a book from Chi Rho Press.

      *****

      We are grateful for new Guardian Angels of Chi Rho
      Press who have contributed $150 or more to the on-
      going ministry of your LGBT Christian publishing
      house. These tax-deductible contributions provide
      a tax break for you and a real blessing to us!

      Repaid over a two year period at 6% simple interest,
      these Promissory Notes are a wonderful way for our
      partners in ministry to have a significant investment
      in the Press as well as helping to capitalize this
      ministry.

      *****

      Thanksgiving Day is next week in the United States and
      it is a special time when we stop to give thanks for
      all that God has done for us. I give thanks for our
      wonderful board of directors, for our volunteers, for
      our Guardian Angels, for our investors, and of course
      for all our customers. God bless you all! Have a
      blessed Thanksgiving, filled with love, gratitude,
      and abundance.

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her Web page, http://www.christiangays.com