Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 2, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2003
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 2, 2003

      is a meditation from "The Road to Emmaus," a book of
      of faith. These reflections start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by the late
      Joseph W. Houle.

      Please read Matthew 13:18-23

      "Hear then the parable of the sower."

      I stand with the crowd today and listen attentively as
      your words fall on me like seeds ready to sprout, grow,
      and bear fruit. Suddenly I am an expanse of land
      stretching north, east, west, south, with the landscape
      of my inner life lying open before you.

      I watch as you scatter seeds on pathways worn hard by
      my busyness, and I see commitments, like a hundred
      birds, swoop down on each moment, devouring the
      promise of new life before it can sprout.

      I watch as you scatter seeds on rocky soil, that part
      of me that has not yet learned to persevere, and I
      see that the seeds sprout quickly in the morning,
      but cannot endure the heat of noon.

      I watch as you scatter seeds on thorn-infested soil,
      that part of me that is full of contradictory desires
      that turn my inner life into a battleground, and I
      see the seeds choked to death before they can mature.

      A great sadness comes over me, because I understand
      that in my search for meaning and purpose I have left
      little room within me for your Word to take root and
      grow.

      At that very moment I see you casting seeds with
      wild abandon on good soil. The wind carries your
      words to me, "Now that you are open to hear, accept,
      and persevere in my Word, you have become good soil,
      and you will yield abundant fruit."

      Throughout the day, I observe the many kinds of soil
      in the fields I pass. With a knowing smile I scatter
      seeds of truth that Jesus has entrusted to me; for I
      know that even if some seeds are lost on hard, rocky,
      or thorny ground, in the end some will fall on good
      soil and yield an incredibly abundant harvest.

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,