Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 26, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2003
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 26, 2003

      is a meditation from "The Road to Emmaus," a book of
      of faith. These reflections start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by the Rev.
      Andy T. Sidden.

      Please read Matthew 12:15-21

      When I look back over my life, I realize that the
      hardest times weren't those when I lacked money,
      health, or friends. I can live with poverty,
      sickness, and loneliness, and, like many people,
      I have done so. The true low points came when I
      lacked hope. For without it, each day becomes a
      bitter chore to be endured.

      Such was the case during the last days of my
      marriage. Ignorant of the blessings that come
      from a knowledge of Christ's love for all people,
      I lived with anger, guilt, and hatred, for I
      believed no hope existed for a better day.

      I thought myself condemned, cut off from Christ
      and beyond hope. Indeed, those were the worst
      days of my life. Worse than living on stale
      bread and bologna as a teen-age father, struggling
      to pay for an education and support a family.
      Worse than facing major surgery as a young adult.
      Worse than living alone for the first time at the
      age of thirty. During those times, at least I felt
      God was with me, and I trusted in God's love to see
      me through.

      How foolish, and totally helpless, we are when we
      face life's struggles without accepting Christ.
      Without God, we come face to face with a world
      without hope.

      Today's passage makes it abundantly clear, though,
      that we need not spend one moment in despair. The
      prophecy was fulfilled long ago. The Chosen One
      was sent into the world for all people.

      Yes, the nations will place their hope in Jesus.
      So will all of us, as the peoples of those nations.
      Only then will we be able to endure life's low
      points.

      Jesus didn't promise that we'd never be poor, sick,
      or lonely. He promised only to be there for us.
      And that is enough.

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,