Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 19, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2003
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 19, 2003

      is a meditation from "The Road to Emmaus," a book of
      of faith. These reflections start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by the Rev.
      Andy T. Sidden.

      Please read Matthew 10:34-42

      A sign over the door at my neighborhood weight room
      proclaims in bold letters, "NO PAIN, NO GAIN." Anyone
      who has ever pumped iron knows the message to be true.

      Those guys who stop by the spa for thirty minutes once
      or twice a week and spend their time talking about
      football get nowhere. Nor do those women who work
      diligently for a few days and then backslide, skipping
      weeks at a time. Bellies still bounce and skin still
      sags on the bodies of half-hearted weight lifters.

      Physical strength and muscle tone don't come without
      some struggle and discomfort. In today's Scripture,
      Jesus tells us the same is true for our Christian faith.

      Our faith doesn't stop with peace of mind and a rosy
      outlook on life. True Christian commitment often
      leads to tension and conflict. Christians don't
      always feel happy. They face troubles and plenty
      of them, some even coming from their own family
      members.

      My pastor calls today's Gospel message one of the
      things she wishes Jesus hadn't said. And it's true
      that being a Christian would be so much simpler
      without the pain.

      But Christ isn't saying that joy doesn't come, nor
      that we won't find peace in Christ. Christ is simply
      saying that hardships may stand in the way of our
      reaching those goals.

      We can take heart, though, knowing that just as the
      crucifixion was followed by the resurrection, so
      conflict is followed by joy. Just as muscle aches
      result in stronger muscles, life's toils result in
      stronger Christians.

      A country and western ballad titles puts it still
      another way. "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden,"
      it says. Neither did Jesus. Just, in the end, roses.

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,