Chi Rho Connection. Vol. IV, No. 18

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2003

      Vol. IV, No. 18

      1. Some Heartening Religious News
      2. New Resource Available for Preserving Our History
      3. "Together in Love"
      4. "Family Stories" Video
      5. "Positively Gay"
      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      This Issue's Quotes, On Gays in the Military:

      "Why can't they have gay people in the army? Personally,
      I think they are just afraid of a thousand guys with M16s
      going, 'Who'd you call a faggot?'" Jon Stewart

      "Soldiers who are not afraid of guns, bombs, capture,
      torture, or death say they are afraid of homosexuals.
      Clearly we should not be used as soldiers; we should be
      used as weapons." Letter to the Editor, The Advocate

      "Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable
      seeing two men holding guns than holding hands?" Ernest
      Gaines

      "You don't have to be straight to be in the military;
      you just have to be able to shoot straight." Barry
      Goldwater

      electronic newsletter of Chi Rho Press. Thank you for
      passing this Chi Rho Connection on to others.

      to see our entire lines of books, handouts, videos, tapes,
      tchochkas, and stained glass.

      1. Some Heartening Religious News

      The Associated Press reported on Sept. 29, (as carried
      in the New York Times) that the Presiding Bishop of the
      Episcopal Church in the US, Frank T. Griswold, said "he
      voted at the church's General Convention last month to
      confirm the [openly gay] Bishop-elect V. Gene Robinson,
      because Episcopalians in New Hampshire had overwhelmingly
      chosen him in an election."

      "Bishop Griswold also said Scripture did not condemn
      same-sex relationships. . . . 'I wasn't settling the
      question of sexuality,' Bishop Griswold said. 'I was
      affirming the choice of a diocese.' . . . Later, he
      said that in biblical times there was no understanding
      that homosexuality was a natural orientation and not
      a choice."

      Bishop Griswold said, "Discrete acts of homosexuality"
      were condemned in the Bible because they were acts of
      lust instead of the "love, forgiveness, grace" of
      committed same-sex relationships.

      "Homosexuality, as we understand it as an orientation,
      is not mentioned in the Bible," he added. "I think the
      confirmation of the bishop of New Hampshire is
      acknowledging what is already a reality in the life
      of the church and the larger society of which we are
      a part."

      The Associated Press article went on to say, "The
      comments were made at a critical time for his
      leadership of the 2.3-million-member church. Next week,
      the conservative American Anglican Council will gather
      more than 1,400 lay Episcopalians, bishops, and other
      members of the clergy in Dallas to decide whether to
      break from the denomination over Bishop-elect Robinson."

      Meanwhile the same article noted that "Archbishop Peter
      J. Akinola of Nigeria called electing Bishop-elect
      Robinson a 'satanic attack on God's church.'"

      In other religious news, the Telegraph in the United
      Kingdom reported on Sept. 26, 2003 that "Christian,
      Jewish and Muslim leaders have signed an open letter
      published today supporting Archbishop of Canterbury Dr
      Rowan Williams in his efforts to combat homophobia.
      In the letter, issued to coincide with Rosh Hashanah,
      the Jewish new year, they write that Dr Williams's
      election as Archbishop was celebrated by British
      Christians, Jews and Muslims alike 'as heralding a new
      era of increasing inclusiveness within the Church, of
      greater inter-religious dialogue and respect for
      differences.'"

      They write that many Christians would be very concerned
      that the movement within the Church to safeguard the
      rights of gay Christian clergy had led to "virulent
      attack by Conservative Evangelical groups on the person
      of Dr Williams himself."

      "On this Jewish New Year therefore, as Jews, Muslims
      and Christians of diverse denominations together, we
      affirm our resolute support for Dr Williams's endeavours,
      and we rededicate our efforts to fighting fundamentalism,
      aggressive proselytism, and homophobia, and to defending
      the values of tolerance, inclusiveness and respect for
      differences, which we all cherish."

      Those signing included a number of rabbis and two imams,
      one of whom, Muhammad Yusuf, chair of the Council of
      University Imams, said, "All forms of fundamentalism,
      whether fundamentalist Islamist or fundamentalist
      evangelical, are abhorrent to the values of Britain's
      multi-faith and multicultural society."

      2. New Resource Available for Preserving Our History

      The LGBT Religious Archives Network (LGBTRAN) has
      released a new resource, "Guide to Preserving Historical
      Records," to assist LGBT religious groups and leaders in
      preserving their history. This fifteen-page document
      covers these major topics: Identifying Your Historical
      Documents; Considerations in Selecting an Appropriate
      Archives; Safely Storing Papers or Records "In-House;"
      and Frequently-Asked Questions about Donating Materials.
      The Guide can be downloaded from the LGBTRAN web site
      www.lgbtran.org/Papers/GuideToPreservation.pdf (requires
      Acrobat Reader to open) or you can request a free, print
      copy by emailing dmalkmus@... or calling
      773/332-0290.

      You can also review LGBTRAN's progress in enabling
      the preservation of the history of LGBT religious
      movements by visiting the Web site,
      http://www.lgbtran.org There you will find extensive
      information on the history of LGBT religious movements:
      a) an Archives Exhibit with digital copies of some
      early LGBT religious documents; b) a Pioneers Gallery
      with biographies of more than thirty LGBT religious
      leaders; c) a Collections Catalog detailing information
      about dozens of LGBT religious collections; and d) a
      Recommended Repositories listing.

      You can learn more and support this ground-breaking
      effort to preserve LGBT religious history by subscribing
      to LGBTRAN's monthly email newsletter (a private and
      confidential email list), write to subscribe@....
      Our collective efforts will ensure that our voices and
      stories are heard by future generations.

      Chi Rho Press strongly encourages you to get involved
      in the LGBT Religious Archives Network.

      3. "Together in Love"

      The anthology by Roberta Showalter Kreider, who
      compiled "From Wounded Hearts" for Chi Rho Press, is
      back in stock after selling out of our first order.

      "Together in Love: Faith Stories of Gay, Lesbian,
      Bisexual, and Transgender Couples" is an anthology of
      LGBT couples, telling their stories of their faith
      journeys as people in non-traditional relationships.
      "Together in Love" has a foreword by psychiatrist Elsie
      Enns Steelberg, is 360 pages, and contains 26 stories
      by LGBT couples. It also includes other stories, poems,
      and a father's message to the church.
      (ISBN: 0-9664822-1-2)

      Roberta Kreider compiled "From Wounded Hearts: Faith
      Stories of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered
      People and Those Who Love Them," originally published
      by Chi Rho Press in 1998 and recently reissued in a
      new edition that was privately published. Now, with
      "Together in Love," Roberta has put together another
      impressive anthology of LGBT people of faith telling
      their stories.

      Roberta Kreider writes, "To truly embrace all of God's
      creation as good and worthy of respect and love is the
      most freeing experience I know. Never again do I want
      to judge another person by skin color, status in life,
      gender, sexual orientation, religion, or by what those
      in authority determine for me. I am experiencing in
      a much deeper way than ever before God's unfathomable
      heart of love for me. May this also be true in your
      experience." From "A Personal Message to Our Readers,"
      Roberta Kreider's introduction to "Together In Love."

      See "Together In Love" on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#Kreider

      "Together In Love" is $24.00 each, $18.00 each for six
      or more copies, plus shipping and handling.

      4. "Family Stories" Video

      Speaking of Roberta Kreider, we have a video in stock
      featuring Roberta Kreider and Mary Lou Wallner, with an
      introduction by the Rev. Peter J. Gomes. "Family Stories:
      Journeys of Spirit in Mixed Orientation Families" was
      produced by John Davis and is available for $26.95, plus
      shipping and handling.

      "Family Stories" presents the journeys of two women whose
      lives have changed dramatically in working through issues
      of sexuality and religion. The untimely deaths of family
      members (one a gay brother, the other a lesbian daughter)
      lead them to confront their feelings of confusion and
      hypocrisy. They provide hope for families, as well as
      religious and social organizations, by clearly
      demonstrating how minds can and do change.

      Roberta Kreider compiled and edited the book "From
      Wounded Hearts: Faith Stories of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual,
      and Transgendered People and Those Who Love Them"
      and the new anthology, "Together in Love: Faith Stories
      of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Couples"
      (see article 2). She is a 74 year old, heterosexual
      Mennonite woman living in rural Pennsylvania with her
      husband Harold, a retired minister in the Mennonite
      church.

      Mary Lou Wallner is an active member of Soulforce, and a
      frequent speaker across the country. Mary Lou resides
      in suburban Chicago with her husband Bob, and is
      completing a book of coping tools for Christians who
      learn of a gay or lesbian loved one in their family.
      She is also an R.N. and runs a free HIV clinic.

      The Rev. Peter J. Gomes is the author of "The Good Book:
      Reading the Bible with Mind and Heart." He has served
      as Plummer Professor of Christian Morals at Harvard
      University and minister in The Memorial Church since 1974.

      "Family Stories" is in VHS format, color, and 35 minutes,
      and sells for $26.95, plus shipping and handling.
      See it on our Web page at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/videos.html#FamilyStories.

      5. "Positively Gay"

      Chi Rho Press has copies of the third edition of
      "Positively Gay: New Approaches to Gay and Lesbian Life"
      (Celestial Arts, 2001).

      Chi Rho Press is now carrying this book in part because
      our founder and Director, Adam DeBaugh, wrote the chapter
      entitled, "Using Your Gay and Lesbian Voting Power."
      This is an important book and the updated new edition,
      in the bright red cover, is an important addition to
      every LGBT library.

      "I wish we had published that!" says Adam DeBaugh. "But
      I am proud to have been a part of Positively Gay since
      the publication of the first edition in 1979. This
      book has been a classic for 24 years, a must read for
      all LGBT people and their allies!"

      "Positively Gay has been widely and consistently praised
      for its practical treatment of the variety of topics
      affecting the lives of gays and lesbians. In this revised,
      third edition, Dr. Betty Berzon has brought together an
      impressive list of contributors from diverse backgrounds,
      disciplines, and approaches to spotlight significant but
      frequently overlooked issues that often take center stage
      in a gay or lesbian person's life." (From the book jacket.)

      Author Michelangelo Signorile says, "Positively Gay was the
      first gay book I ever read. It scared me. It challenged
      me. It excited me. And it eventually made me feel good
      about myself."

      Sections of the book include, Being Gay: Personal Issues,
      Social Options; Partnering: The Special Issues of Same-Sex
      Coupling; Family Relations: Fresh Perspectives; Aging: A
      Season of Grace; Religion: Reconciling the Spiritual
      Dilemma; The Practical Aspects: Taking Control of Your
      Life; People of Color: The Special Experiences of
      Minorities Within a Minority; Young People: The Future
      of Our Community; and Telling Our Stories. There is
      also a helpful discussion guide.

      Authors include the compiler and editor, Betty Berzon,
      Mark Thompson, Betty Fairchild, Del Martin and Phyllis
      Lyon, Rabbi Denise Eger, Rev. William Johnson, Father
      Robert Nugent, Brian McNaught, R. Adam DeBaugh, Teresa
      DeCrescenzo, and John Preston. U.S. Rep. Barney Frank
      wrote the Foreword.

      "Positively Gay" sells for $14.95, plus shipping and
      handling. See it on our Web site at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html#Berzon

      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional and modern saints and
      various holy days and holidays listed in the 2003
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      *****

      Sat. Oct. 4, St. Francis of Assisi (1182-1226). Friar
      and founder of the Franciscan order. Likely the most
      popular and admired of all the saints, and also the
      least imitated; Francis was completely devoted to the
      poor and the suffering of Christ. Born into a wealthy
      family, he sought glory as a young knight, but instead
      ended up seriously ill and in prison. Encounters with
      beggars and lepers touched him so deeply he embraced a
      life of poverty. Late in his life he became the first
      to receive the stigmata, or wounds of Christ in his
      hands, feet, and side. Because of his deep love for
      them, his feast day is often celebrated by blessing
      animals. He reminds us of the radical simplicity of
      the gospel and the sacramentality of creation.

      Sun. Oct. 5 (sunset) - Mon. Oct. 6, Yom Kippur (Jewish).
      The Day of Atonement, the holiest day of the Jewish
      year, is observed with strict fasting and ceremonies
      of repentance.

      Mon. Oct. 6, Founding of the Universal Fellowship of
      Metropolitan Community Churches (1968). Anniversary
      of the first service held by Rev. Elder Troy Perry.
      A former Pentecostal minister from Florida who had
      been thrown out of his church for being gay, Troy
      Perry knew that his experience was not unusual.
      Called by God to start a church where GLBT people
      would be welcome, he held the first service in his
      living room near Los Angeles. Twelve men and women
      joined him for the first service of what became MCC
      LA, the Mother Church of UFMCC, now the largest
      religious organization in the world for GLBT people.

      Tue. Oct. 7, Sts. Sergius and Bacchus (d. 290).
      Martyrs in death and lovers in life. These two
      saints were tortured for refusing to compromise
      their faith by making a sacrifice to Jupiter. They
      were officers in the Roman army and lovers. After
      their arrest they were paraded through the streets
      in women's clothing, which was meant to humiliate
      them. Bacchus died first and came to Sergius in a
      vision, telling him not to lose heart, they would
      soon be together for eternity. They later became
      patron saints of the Byzantine army, and are still
      honored among certain Arab nomads. Early Christian
      writings show that the Church has not always had a
      negative view of homosexuality.

      Fri. Oct. 10 (sunset) Fri. Oct. 17, Sukkot (Jewish).
      The Feast of Tabernacles (or Booths) is a harvest
      festival and a remembrance of the journey of Israel
      through the Sinai desert living in tents.

      Sat. Oct. 11, National Coming Out Day. Anniversary
      of the National March on Washington for Lesbian and
      Gay Rights. This day has been marked yearly in the
      GLBT community since 1987. In this powerful personal
      act of liberation and rebirth we can experience the
      reality of Jesus' words, "the truth will set you
      free." Because equality cannot be achieved by staying
      in the closet, it is important for each of us to come
      out to our friends and family. When people know a
      gay or lesbian individual personally, they are far
      less likely to maintain negative stereotypes and
      prejudices. Coming out is not a one time event, but
      is rather a life long process. Whatever it may be,
      take the next step toward living your own life with
      integrity.

      Sun. Oct. 12, Matthew Shepherd (1976-1998). Victim
      of hate crime. A 21 year old freshman at the
      University of Wyoming, Matthew was abducted, tied to
      a fence, and beaten into a coma by two young men. His
      murder gave a face to the tragedy of gay bashing. He
      is remembered not for any particular achievements in
      his brief life, but as a symbol of the violence that
      is bred by homophobia and the rhetoric of hate.

      Sun. Oct. 12, Day of the Race (Mexico). Traditional
      date for Columbus Day.

      Mon. Oct. 13, Columbus Day (USA). Federal holiday,
      can also be designated Peoples of the Americas Day.

      Mon. Oct. 13, Thanksgiving Day (Canada)

      Wed. Oct. 15, St. Teresa of Avila (1515-1582). Mystic
      and Doctor of the church. Raised in a wealthy Spanish
      family, Teresa became a Carmelite nun. In an age in
      which women's voices went unheard, she became a
      towering figure, author of four books, religious
      reformer, founder of 17 convents. As a woman who
      based her authority on mystical visions, she fell
      under the suspicion of the Inquisition. Her best
      known work, "The Interior Castle," describes the soul
      as a castle, and the journey of prayer that leads
      from meditation to mystical union with Christ.

      Thu. Oct. 16, Thomas Cranmer (d. 1556). Creator of
      the Book of Common Prayer. During a time of political
      and religious turmoil, as Archbishop of Canterbury
      Cranmer was instrumental in the English Reformation
      and the institution of the Church of England. Under
      Queen Mary, a devout Catholic, he was declared a
      heretic and burned at the stake. His legacy is
      carried in the Book of Common Prayer, the beauty of
      its liturgical language and its influence on Christian
      prayer and worship even to our own time.

      Thu. Oct. 16, National Boss Day (U.S.A.).

      Sat. Oct. 18, St. Luke. Evangelist. Luke was the only
      writer to attempt to tell the story of not only the life
      of Jesus (the Gospel of Luke), but the founding of the
      early Church (the Book of Acts). He was a Gentile who
      never met Jesus, but tradition says he was a physician
      and a later companion of Paul. We owe many important
      stories to his writing: most of the Christmas story,
      the parables of the Prodigal Son and Good Samaritan,
      Pentecost, and Paul's missionary journeys. Luke is
      marked by a special concern for the poor and
      marginalized, women, reconciliation between Jews and
      Gentiles, and liturgical prayer. His symbol is the
      ox, and he is patron of physicians and artists.

      Sat. Oct. 18 Sun. Oct. 19, Shemini Atzeret and Simchat
      Torah (Jewish). Celebrates reading of the Torah (Law).
      Features readings, processions, and blessing of children.

      *****

      Order the full 2003 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary,
      complete with the entire year's Sanctoral Cycle, at,
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Park.

      We enthusiastically support the work and ministry of
      the LGBT Religious Archives Network. Old friend and
      colleague Mark Bowman is a leader in this wonderful
      organization, which is building and facilitating
      archives of the LGBT religious movement. Check out
      their Web site http://www.lgbtran.org and subscribe
      to their excellent newsletter, subscribe@....

      *****

      Progress continues on our up-coming new books. But
      also check out the Family Stories video, Positively
      Gay, and Together in Love.

      *****

      September was an amazing month for your LGBT Christian
      publishing house, mostly due to the payment of a large
      invoice to Bookazine, one of our distribution houses,
      and a large and enthusiastic investment from one of
      our wonderful supporters. You can take advantage of
      our 6% Promissory Notes as well. Won't you become a
      more active part of Chi Rho Press? You can invest in
      a Promissory Note (returning 6% simple interest over
      a two year period to you).

      Or you can make a tax-deductible contribution of any
      amount at http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html or
      become a Guardian Angel of the Press for a minimum
      contribution of $150 a year.

      And of course, we would really like it if you bought
      some books! Check out our Web site at
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      *****

      Speaking of the Web site, you know Christmas is just a
      little under three months away. Give the gifts of
      knowledge and inspiration for the holidays this year.
      Give a book from Chi Rho Press.

      God bless you all!

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her Web page, http://www.christiangays.com