Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 24, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2003
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 24, 2003

      is a meditation from "The Road to Emmaus," a book of
      of faith. These reflections start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Sara Case.

      Please read Mark 12:28-34

      "Tell me of your wants and desires and I'll tell you what
      kind of person you are," the radio evangelist boomed forth
      as I was driving to the supermarket. "I don't want to
      know anything about your possessions, what you have, or
      what you do, just tell me your desires."

      I don't recall the rest of the program, but these words
      came back to me as I read today's Scripture. A new car,
      a lover, a Caribbean cruise, to be the best trial lawyer
      or the most creative hairdresser, these are typical of
      the desires our culture encourages, and most of us are
      motivated to strive for them.

      Jesus offers a striking alternative, to love God with
      our whole being. Think for a minute what it might mean
      to love with all your heart, all your soul, all your
      mind, and all your strength. Most of us live fragmented
      lives, hurrying from one obligation to another, our minds
      often scattered, jumping from this to that. We are
      divided within ourselves. This great commandment is
      not something we can do on our own, for only God can
      teach us to love wholeheartedly. But we can make it
      the central, conscious desire of our lives to love God
      with our whole selves, to be at one with our Creator.

      Pay attention to your inner self . . . . Deep within
      find your own desire to be united with God . . . .
      Remember that the greatest commandment is available
      for you. . . . Jesus asks that you make it the central
      aspiration of your life.

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,