Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 10, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2003
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 10, 2003

      is a meditation from "The Road to Emmaus," a book of
      of faith. These reflections start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Louis F.
      Kavar.

      Please read Mark 9:2-13

      Six days after Jesus first announces that he will suffer
      and die, a strange event occurs. Taking his intimate
      companions, Peter, James, and John, up to the mountaintop,
      Jesus is transfigured before them.

      This Transfiguration is not simply a change in Jesus'
      appearance. Jesus stands, in a sense, outside of himself,
      entering a new state of awareness. For him, life after
      this experience is markedly different, changed, and new.
      Through this experience of Transfiguration, Jesus is
      affirmed in his ministry, an affirmation which will
      require that he suffer many things.

      As Jesus embraces this frightening turn of events in
      his life, a profound and personal affirmation of him
      is given in the words from the cloud, "This is my
      beloved Child." The affirmation empowers Jesus to
      bear the suffering and death to which he is called and
      endows him with a heightened authority. Therefore the
      voice from the cloud commands the disciples and us:
      "To this one you shall listen."

      For Jesus, the Transfiguration is a celebration of life,
      life in the very face of the pain which often results
      from being true to God, to oneself, and to one's call.
      Jesus now directs his ministry to Jerusalem, the place
      of his ultimate sacrifice.

      The story of the Transfiguration of Jesus encourages us
      to expect God's direct affirmation of our own lives as
      we embrace the pain and suffering which come as a result
      of our faithfulness. Jesus' Transfiguration is an
      invitation to move through and beyond these hard times
      to a newness of life that empowers us in personal and
      unexpected ways.

      Jesus, as I listen to your gentle voice, empower me to
      move through the painful parts of my life to find the
      newness of life which you promise.

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,