Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 20, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2003
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 20, 2003

      is a meditation from "The Road to Emmaus," a book of
      of faith. These reflections start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Harold
      Joseph Burris and Joseph W. Houle.

      Please read Mark 2:23 to 3:6

      The need for Jesus and the disciples to gather food and
      eat as they traveled from place to place was essential.
      Neither a luxury not a disrespect for tradition, it was
      merely a necessity of life for a traveling band that had
      no permanent home. The Pharisees, however, were so
      preoccupied with religious restrictions that they accused
      Jesus' disciples of sin when they plucked grain on the
      Sabbath. Similarly, they sat in stony silence in the
      synagogue when Jesus healed the man with the withered
      hand on the Sabbath. No amount of persuasion or
      explanation seemed to free them from their servitude
      to law and tradition. Such enslavement enables people
      to avoid responsible decisions for themselves and
      compassionate service to others.

      We are still not far from our religious ancestors in
      Israel. Social prejudice and irrational fear of those
      who hold opinions different from our own still exist in
      our churches and communities. And when it comes to
      justifying such prejudice and fear, we are all too
      likely to hear a favorite verse from the Book of
      Leviticus or the letters of Paul.

      According to Jesus, religion, the Sabbath, and life
      itself are gifts of God given for the benefit of
      humankind. When we become willing slaves of legalism,
      we not only lose our freedom, but we lose the power
      of shared kindness and respect as well. Instead of
      being instruments for good, we become rigidly
      separated from the companions with whom we are
      called to live in fellowship, and ultimately even
      from God.

      In a world where we still struggle to feed multitudes
      and to heal persons of life-threatening disease,
      today's Gospel calls us to examine our attitudes and
      behaviors in order to shed legalistic positions and
      discover how we can gain greater freedom. By ending
      our prejudices, by abandoning our fears, and by
      surrendering our often vicious tools of control, we
      can make of the Sabbath and every other day new days
      of freedom for humankind. Only then will we learn to
      live, to be fed, and to be healed.

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,