Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 13, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2003
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 13, 2003

      is a meditation from "The Road to Emmaus," a book of
      of faith. These reflections start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Harold
      Joseph Burris and Joseph W. Houle.

      Please read Luke 24:36-53

      Luke's report in today's Gospel passage is not just one
      more retelling of the resurrection story, for he recounts
      here the commissioning of the disciples, "You are
      witnesses of these things." They are to preach repentance
      and the forgiveness of sins "to all nations, beginning
      from Jerusalem." Such early universality immediately
      established a world stage for the spread of the Gospel.

      Are we able to comprehend our purpose as Christians in
      such broad dimensions? Are we in fact witnesses to Christ,
      or mere appendages of a respectable institution called
      "the church"? Do we accept a world mission, or are we
      comfortable with casual conformity to familiar ideas and
      ordinary surroundings? Do we who call ourselves Christian
      perceive ourselves as a joyous company sent by Jesus to
      proclaim to every person on earth, without exception, the
      good news of God's unconditional acceptance and love?

      It will take prayerful time and thought to evaluate our
      relationship and responsibility to the world as followers
      of Christ. Yet it is a necessity in a culture as
      comfortable as ours, where God and country, church and
      country club, Christian and socialite are often almost
      indistinguishable.

      As living witnesses of Jesus' death and Resurrection, we
      are challenged today to discover what the divine encounter
      with the risen Christ means for us. If it does not at
      some point issue in sharing the Gospel with our world,
      then we have not heard all of the good news.

      Jesus, come in your risen power. Let this time of
      worship be a hallowed hour in which your presence
      calms, instructs, and empowers my spirit to serve
      and proclaim you in our world.

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,