Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 6, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6 5:25 AM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 6, 2003

      is a meditation from "The Road to Emmaus," a book of
      of faith. These reflections start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Harold
      Joseph Burris and Joseph W. Houle.

      Please read Luke 23:13-25

      One of the ironies of history is that the release of
      Barabbas at the crowd's demand neither accomplished
      the goals of Pilate and Herod nor satisfied the crowd's
      anger and hysteria. Before that weekend and the ugly
      deed of the crucifixion were over, rumors of the
      Resurrection had spread with such persistence that
      their decision must have tormented both of them. Now
      they and their successors had to contend not only with
      Barabbas, the insurrectionist and murderer, but also
      with Jesus, who was being proclaimed as the risen
      Christ. As Christ's followers multiplied and became
      legion, Christ's fame burst through Palestine's borders
      and spread across the known world. Torture in prisons,
      persecution in dungeons and in arenas filled with
      lions, conflagrations and immolations served only
      to spread the exact opposite of the message that
      Pilate and Herod had intended to spread.

      The ironical consequences of short-sighted choices
      persist for all of us when we seek quick solutions
      to complex, turbulent situations. We want to rid
      ourselves of our most immediate pain and confusion
      and preserve as much of our power and prestige as
      possible. But difficult choices seldom afford us
      the luxury of easy decisions. Truth and justice have
      their own terms that recognize neither expediency nor
      popularity.

      Difficult and unresolved situations, then, may call
      us simply to bear the painful tensions of the moment,
      watching and waiting for a shift in the landscape of
      reality that opens a pathway to the truth. Such, at
      least, is the stance that Jesus displayed in the
      midst of the turbulent circumstances pressing in on
      him in today's Gospel. In the end his patient
      endurance, which was simply an expression of his
      deep trust in God, brought him through the difficulty
      to a resurrected life.

      Jesus, when turmoil and confusion swirl about me,
      teach me to be still as you were, trusting that,
      no matter how hopeless things may appear, God is
      in control.

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,