eNewsletter # 16

  • Adam@ChiRhoPress.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2000
      Sixteenth eNewsletter
      February 10, 2000

      Welcome once again to the Chi Rho Press eNewsletter. Please pass this
      eNewsletter on to your friends and colleagues.

      To join our list and get your own copy of our eNewsletter, send an email message
      to ChiRhoPress-subscribe@onelist.com.

      All other email should be directed to Adam@.... See the end of this
      eNewsletter for a complete list of email addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse"
      2. Report on the Book Signing in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
      3. February Gay By God Teleclass
      4. Special Offer -- "Come Home!"
      5. Volunteers Needed

      1. "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse"

      We are extremely pleased to announce the publication of "Steps to Recovery from
      Bible Abuse," by Dr. Rembert Truluck. This long-awaited book retails for $24.95
      each, six or more copies for $18.75 each, plus shipping and handling.

      Rembert Truluck says, "'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse' is far more than a
      book of information, Bible studies, and personal experiences. It is a book that
      will be extended through my Web site in on-going expanding resources of updates,
      bibliography, and new information about our dynamic changing world and our place
      in it. This combination of book and Web site will provide a practical and
      constantly up-dated resource for individuals and small groups to learn and
      experience the truth and to share their hope with others."

      "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse," says Dr. Truluck, "is over 550 pages of
      information and encouragement to equip gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered
      people and all others who have been abused and oppressed by religion to learn
      the truth and to rejoice and grow in their God-given worth as individuals."

      "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse" is organized in 18 chapters. The first
      five chapters contain introductory material, including essays on "Why this Book
      is Here," "My Story" by Dr. Truluck, "Jesus Heals Sick Religion," "Guidelines
      for Small Groups," and "How to Use this Book."

      The next 13 chapters are the Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse. Each of the 13
      Steps contains four Bible Study Lessons, suitable for personal study or small
      group use. As a result there are 52 Lessons, one for each week of the year.

      The 13 Steps are organized into five parts, "Jesus and Spiritual Freedom,"
      "Eliminate the Negative," "Accentuate the Positive," "Reach Out," and "Beyond
      Recovery."

      In addition, there are six special studies in the book's appendix: "How I Lead
      Workshops and Small Groups," "Homosexuality and the Bible," "Challenging the
      Ex-Gay Industry," "The Dynamics of Religious Abuse," "A Gay Christian's Response
      to the Southern Baptists," and "How Do You Name God?"

      With all this information and at over 550 pages, "Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse" is well worth the $24.95 list price ($18.75 each for six or more books).
      It is also the largest book Chi Rho Press has ever published.

      Shipping and handling for "Steps" is $3.50 for one book, $4.50 for two books,
      $5.50 for three books, $6.50 for four books, and 7% of the total for five or
      more books ordered. Send your check or money order, made out to Chi Rho Press,
      to us at P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898. You may also order via email
      and be invoiced, write Orders@... with the number of books you want
      and your mailing address and phone number.

      2. Report on the Book Signing at MCC of the Spirit, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

      Sunday, February 6, dawned bright and beautiful, but the day was made even more
      spectacular by the worship service, pot luck, and book signing at MCC of the
      Spirit in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. The church was celebrating the opening of
      their new church bookstore and invited Roberta Showalter Kreider and other
      authors of articles in the anthology, "From Wounded Hearts."

      First of all -- the building! The Rev. Eva O'Diam, the dynamic pastor of this
      growing church, gave me a tour of their wonderful facility, which church members
      have converted from an office building into a beautiful, spacious, and extremely
      comfortable church. A spacious workroom and two pastoral offices flank the
      sanctuary, and a lovely bookstore is right off the main entrance. Across the
      very welcoming narthex from the sanctuary, there is a large fellowship hall,
      storage space, two bathrooms, and an as-yet-unfinished kitchen. (I'll bet
      contributions to help finish the kitchen would be welcome!)

      The worship service was characterized by a lot of excellent music. This is a
      music-filled church, with the dynamic and talented David Lambert at the helm of
      the music department. One of the contributors to "From Wounded Hearts," David
      Glasgow, is on the large and active music staff and he not only played keyboard,
      drums, and percussion, but also sang a beautiful solo. David's father, Michael,
      and his sister were also there. Michael and his wife Patty are authors of a
      chapter in "From Wounded Hearts" too.

      Roberta Kreider had been invited to preach and she gave a wonderful sermon on
      the reaction of the Pharisees to Jesus' healing of the man born blind. Roberta
      is an excellent preacher. All those years as a pastor's wife and secretary
      really paid off! (Roberta's husband Harold Kreider is a retired Mennonite
      minister and accompanied her to the event. Harold has one of the sweetest and
      most kind and gentle spirits of anyone I know. Together they make a powerful
      and blessed ministry.)

      The MCC of the Spirit Gospel Choir performed a wonderful African anthem for the
      offertory, complete with drums. Communion was an uplifting and moving
      experience, made even more so by Pastor Eva O'Diam's singing the words of
      institution.

      After worship, the congregation served up a delicious and plentiful potluck
      supper. They had been warned by Alberta Hamm, the queen of hospitality, that 30
      to 40 guests would be joining them, and church members really rose to the
      challenge, providing so much food that assistant pastor Steve Filizzi announced
      a new miracle of God -- seconds!

      Following the potluck, Roberta arranged 14 authors in a row of chairs, joined by
      me as the publisher. Each of the authors spoke for a couple of minutes, to
      enthusiastic applause from the 70 church members and friends who attended. One
      of the authors pointed out that most of them were not professional writers and
      in fact "From Wounded Hearts" was the first time most had been published. After
      we all spoke, authors remained available to sign books. It was a wonderful
      event and Chi Rho Press is very grateful to MCC of the Spirit for hosting us and
      for treating us all so well.

      Contact MCC of the Spirit at 717/236-7387 or email mccofthespirit@... for
      information about the building and their ministries.

      "From Wounded Hearts" is still available from Chi Rho Press, for $19.95 each
      ($14.95 each for six or more copies) plus shipping and handling. Write
      Orders@... to order your copy.

      3. February Gay By God Teleclass

      Once again Chi Rho Press is teaming up with board member Ronald DeVrou of the
      Dupont Therapy and Coaching Center to sponsor "Gay By God" teleclasses. We have
      scheduled teleclasses for Thursdays, Feb. 24, March 23, April 20, and May 18.

      The first teleclass this year will be on Thursday, February 24, at 9 pm eastern
      time. Chi Rho Press staff and board members will be the guests at this
      teleclass as we explore the wonderful world of gay publishing. We plan to make
      ourselves available to answer your questions about publishing -- everything from
      how we select manuscripts to the important decision about whether or not to
      "kill the widows and orphans." So come with your questions and enjoy what will
      hopefully be an informative and entertaining hour together.

      For more information about the "Gay By God" telephone workshop on February 24,
      please email Ronald DeVrou at Workshops@... or Adam DeBaugh at
      GayByGod@....

      The "Gay By God" series of workshops are interactive telephone workshops in
      which each participant calls a "bridge number" to be a part of the call. The
      workshops are free and the only cost will be your long distance charges to the
      bridge number, usually around $5 to $6 for the hour depending on your long
      distance carrier.

      The workshop will begin at 9 pm EDT Washington DC/New York time (8 pm in
      Chicago, 7 pm in Denver, and 6 pm in Los Angeles). This will allow all of you
      from around the country to participate from the privacy of your own home.

      Participation is limited to the first 30 people to register, so if you would
      like to register early, or get more information about the workshops, please
      email Ronald at WorkShops@... or Adam at GayByGod@....

      4. Book of the Month! "Come Home!" by Chris Glaser

      This month we are featuring "Come Home! Reclaiming Spirituality and Community
      as Gay Men and Lesbians," (Second Edition) by popular Gay Christian writer Chris
      Glaser.

      Chris first published this book in 1990 with HarperCollins and we are pleased to
      offer this completely new edition. It has five brand new chapters added to the
      original 20, and a new preface. "Come Home!" is perhaps Chris Glaser's best
      book and Chi Rho Press is very proud to publish it.

      The five sections of "Come Home!" (each with five chapters) are entitled,
      "Welcoming God's Acceptance," "Receiving Our Inheritance," "Discerning Our
      Call," "Making Our Witness," and "Declaring Our Vision."

      Of "Come Home!" The Right Reverend John Shelby Spong, Episcopal Bishop of
      Newark, said, "Powerful, sensitive, and provocative. . . . Glaser stands inside
      his own humanity as a gay male and hears the word of God through the Bible.
      Christians, gay and straight, need this book if we are to be the body of
      Christ."

      The Rev. Carter Heyward called "Come Home!" "an enthusiastic compelling
      testimony to the power of faith in the lives of many gay and lesbian
      Christians."

      Virginia Ramey Mollenkott said, "If courage, honesty, and insight are beautiful,
      then this is one beautiful book. . . . I rejoice that in this book all the gay
      men and lesbian women who have been robbed of their spirituality are issued an
      urgent invitation: Come home!"

      "Come Home!" by Chris Glaser offers a vision of faith, hope, and affirmation
      inviting gay men and lesbians to come home to their spirituality through
      Christian faith and community. Order your copy today!

      "Come Home!" sells for $19.95, $14.95 each for six or more copies, plus shipping
      and handling.

      5. Volunteers Needed.

      We are looking for two dedicated people to fill two new volunteer positions at
      Chi Rho Press.

      First, we are looking for a volunteer bookkeeper or accountant to assist us with
      reports and taxes. The person should have experience or at least knowledge of
      Federal and Maryland State taxes and reporting, or at least the ability to get
      the required Maryland State information.

      Second, we are looking for a volunteer Bookstore Liaison, someone who will
      assist us in being in touch with LGBT bookstores, religious bookstores,
      bookstore chains, and other outlets for our books, alerting them to our titles
      and discounts, and selling books to them. This person would also explore
      distribution houses as well.

      Both these positions are volunteer staff (at least for now) and neither of them
      have to be near our offices. Your expenses will be paid, of course.

      Please contact Adam DeBaugh at Adam@... if you are interested in
      either of these positions. Thank you!

      6. Adam's Last Word.

      This has been an incredibly eventful couple of weeks. We took delivery on
      "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse" and mailed out all of the pre-publication
      sales for this excellent book. I went to Harrisburg for the "From Wounded
      Hearts" book signing. We are hard at work on our next book "Lord Given Lovers:
      The Biblical Romance of Jonathan and David" by Christopher Hubble. We have a
      Chi Rho Press board meeting coming up on the 19th. We are reviewing other
      manuscripts that have come in. And I finished and sent off the annual report
      for the UFMCC Mid-Atlantic District. Our office assistant, Stephen, has been
      hard at work filling orders for "Steps" and other books, and we have begun
      reorganizing the office, clearing away some debris, and moving piles of
      accumulated paper into files.

      You may not be aware of this, but Chi Rho Press lives in my home. I have a
      three-story town house in Montgomery Village, Maryland (Gaithersburg) and the
      entire third floor is devoted to the Press. With the delivery of "Steps to
      Recovery from Bible Abuse" we have been rearranging the storage space and adding
      storage in a second bedroom on the second floor as well. <Sigh> At least there
      will still be room in that second bedroom for me to work on making some stained
      glass! Shipping boxes and envelopes, office supplies, work surfaces, and lots
      of inventory makes for an interesting challenge in space management!

      Being a small LGBT religious publishing house has its challenges, that is
      certain! But with the able assistance of our small staff and board, we continue
      to be able to produce books we are proud of and which serve our community. We
      are glad you are partners with us here at Chi Rho Press. We are eager for your
      comments, your suggestions, your assistance with selling our books, and your own
      purchases! And of course, we covet your prayers for this ministry.

      I hope that February holds wonderful surprises for you! Please join us for the
      teleclass on February 24.

      Grace and peace,

      Adam DeBaugh, Director

      If you've received our eNewsletter as a result of the good offices of someone
      passing it along to you (which we certainly encourage) and would like to receive
      it directly from us, please follow the directions at the end of our eNewsletter
      to subscribe.

      For orders, please write to us: Orders@.... If you have
      questions,please write to Question@.... For comments and
      suggestions about this eNewsletter, please write eNews@.... For all
      other correspondence, please write Adam@....

      You may order any of our books via snail mail, telephone, fax, or email at
      Orders@.... We will ship your order with an invoice. Include your
      email address, mailing address, and telephone number please.

      View our new web page at http://www.ChiRhoPress/com.

      For the convenience of our friends outside of the USA, we suggest ordering our
      books through Amazon.com.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com
    • Adam@ChiRhoPress.com