Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 22, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2003
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 22, 2003

      is a meditation from "The Road to Emmaus," a book of
      of faith. These reflections start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Sara
      Case.

      Please read Luke 20:41 21:4

      The other day I saw an Indigo Bunting on the stop sign
      off Blunt Road where the new townhouses have been
      developed. Even as I delighted in spotting the bird,
      my heart was heavy, for I knew that this bird had been
      dispossessed. The trees that had provided both shelter
      and food had been cut down by the hundreds to make way
      for the "Winchester Homes" that are now for sale in a
      neighborhood that has been transformed from wildlife
      habitat into suburban community. I think of all the
      other creatures similarly removed from this small area
      of the country alone: the bobcats, the foxes, even the
      frogs and water creatures have lost their homes and
      their lives as the land was leveled for shopping
      centers and suburban living.

      Land development, we call it euphemistically, as we
      convert more and more of the wild places to human use
      without stopping to consider how much of them is really
      our fair share as humans. As we destroy the most
      vulnerable of God's creatures, the birds and animals
      and insects, the trees and grasses and wetlands, we are
      truly "devouring widows' houses," to use the phrase that
      Jesus coined.

      Today's Scripture calls us to recognize within ourselves
      not only the "giver," but also the "taker," the one who,
      while enjoying a flowing robe and an important seat, also
      devours widow's houses.

      As you meditate on your own "takings" and the impact they
      have on all of creation, bring to consciousness a specific
      way in which you, being only one of God's creatures, are
      taking more than your share. Invite Jesus to teach you
      the balance between giving and taking, the balance that
      represents reverence for God's most precious gift of life.

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,