Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 15, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2003
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 15, 2003

      is a meditation from "The Road to Emmaus," a book of
      of faith. These reflections start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Nancy
      Eichert.

      Please read Luke 19:28-40

      Some people want a savior dressed in robes of purple,
      gold shoes on his feet, and a jewel-studded crown upon
      his head. They want to bow in homage to one who truly
      looks the part, to one who looks as if he deserves their
      respect and homage.

      What would people think of me if I were seen worshiping
      one who looked like someone who lived in the streets?
      Would my friends some to church if the head of the
      church did not appear in business suit and tie, or in
      splendid clergy robes, but in the dress of the poor?
      Could salvation really have come through someone who
      looks like that?

      But his followers, his disciples, never questioned
      Jesus' attire. When he asked for an unbroken colt,
      they did not insist on a carriage and fine horses.
      They spread not a red carpet but branches and their
      own coats before him as he role into Jerusalem.

      God's gift to the world came and went in humble
      surroundings. The wealth of Jesus' life radiated
      through the love he brought to humanity and, indeed,
      to all of creation. And yet to this very day we who
      follow in Christ's footsteps have insisted on cloaking
      Christ in scarlet, worshiping Christ with golden
      altarware, housing Christ behind stained glass windows,
      protecting Christ from the street rabble who would
      tarnish Christ's image and ours.

      Who is the Christ in my life? Would I recognize
      Christ if Christ walked down my street? Would I be
      seen in public with Christ? Would Christ be seen in
      public in the surroundings I ascribe to Christ?

      Perhaps today there is something Jesus would have me
      change in my image of Christ. Perhaps there is
      something Christ would have me change in my image of
      myself as one of the disciples.

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,