Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 25, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2003
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 25, 2003

      is a meditation from "The Road to Emmaus," a book of
      of faith. These reflections start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Virginia

      Please read Luke 13:31-35

      O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the
      prophets! Jesus wept over the city that had killed
      the messengers who went before him. He knew that
      he, too, had to go up to Jerusalem to stand trial
      and be murdered to satisfy those who refused to
      hear the message of God's love. He knew that he
      would join his brother and sister prophets who
      had also called for repentance, justice, and
      faithfulness. He was going up to Jerusalem to

      He wanted to gather his children together, like
      a mother hen who protects and nurtures her brood
      of chicks. But the priests and elders of the
      nation would not humble themselves and seek God's
      redemption. They cared only for their survival
      and power. They chose to sacrifice the common
      people, the poor, and the radical young prophet
      who called the people to healing and love. They
      refused to accept his blinding truth.

      We always kill the prophets who are sent to us.
      We martyr them. Then we saint them. Finally, we
      ignore them. Once they are safely dead, they no
      longer challenge our comfortable hypocrisy, our
      indolent charity. We can settle down once more
      to our daily routine and recall their fine words
      in celebration of their birthdays.

      O Jerusalem, you killed the prophets of ancient
      Israel. Together, we crucified the Hebrew prophet,
      Jesus. In our day we sacrifice our prophets: Martin
      Luther King, Gandhi, Oscar Romero. We cannot hear
      the truth. We cannot see their vision of justice,
      a vision that would heal our land. We cannot bear
      their love, a love that enfolds the wounded and
      helpless little ones into their embrace.

      O Jesus, when will we learn the lesson of Golgotha?
      When will we learn to love? When will we learn to
      see your face and hear your voice in the prophets
      you send into our lives?

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,