Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 11, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2003
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 11, 2003

      is a meditation from "The Road to Emmaus," a book of
      of faith. These reflections start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Sarah
      K. Fershee.

      Please read Luke 10:25-37

      Hoping to soothe his own conscience, a busy,
      sophisticated Christian asked his pastor, "Just who
      is my neighbor in this fast, complex society?"

      The pastor replied, "Last week an elderly woman
      walked down a neighborhood street. She was returning
      home from the market when she was attacked by a
      gang of drug dealers who stripped her of her coat,
      snatched her purse and groceries, threw her to the
      ground, and ran off, leaving her half dead.

      "It was twelve-thirty in the afternoon and the street
      was crowded. But no one paid attention to the woman.
      Stepping right over her, a seminary student rushed across
      the street to catch a bus. 'Can't be late for my exam,'
      she reminded God. Likewise, a politician glanced at the
      old woman, then crossed the street. 'There might be
      cameras around,' he rationalized. 'Besides, I supported
      funding for women's shelters in this city; I've done my
      part!'

      "Rose-tinted streetlights replaced the sun's natural
      glow, and another workday surrendered to city night
      life. Making one last attempt to rise from the frigid
      concrete, the new street person fell back and cried
      with pain.

      "It was a prostitute who heard the cry, saw the woman
      at her feet, and was immediately flooded with compassion.
      She quickly wrapped the victim in her own fur coat,
      hailed a taxi, and rushed her charge to the nearest
      hospital. There she spent the night negotiating on
      the patient's behalf, paying cash to a system that did
      not care about a stolen medical card.

      "So, you think Christian neighborliness is outmoded,
      do you?" Receiving no reply, the pastor looked up.
      His guest had vanished.

      Still, the question remained, leaving the pastor to
      ponder his own busy, sophisticated life.

      Grant me the courage today, Lord, to slow down and love.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,