Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 4, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , May 4 4:49 AM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 4, 2003

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These reflections start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Sarah
      K. Fershee.

      Please read Matthew 28:16-20

      A divine appointment with the resurrected Christ! What
      could be more glorious? Yet as the disciples trudged
      up the Galilean mountain, at least one felt the pangs
      of an anxious heart:

      What am I doing on this path? I don't even know if I
      believe he's alive, and I'm on my way to a meeting
      supposedly called by Jesus! I wonder if he'll look the
      same. What will he ask of me this time? Will I be up
      to it? John's already around the bend . . . always
      ahead when it comes to faith! If I turn around now,
      I can be home in time for lunch, but what if it's true?
      What if Jesus really is going to be there? I must keep
      going.

      At the dawn of the twenty-first century, little has
      changed. We are still called to meet Christ for
      instruction and challenge. We still respond with
      uncertainty:

      What am I doing on this one-way street in a city not
      my own? I don't even know what I believe about life
      after death, and I'm called to the bedside of someone
      with AIDS. I wonder how he'll look. What will he ask
      of me? Will I be up to it? Others know how to do this,
      why aren't they here? If I turn around now, I can be
      home before dark. But what if it's true? What if it
      is really Christ who waits in that bed? I must go in.

      Jesus Christ, unique Child of God, have mercy on us.
      Forgive our ambivalence, our sluggish pace, and restore
      our confidence through the good news we already know.
      Steer us way from competition with others who minister
      in your name, and grant us a perfect balance of peace
      and adventure as we go forth in the light of your
      constant presence.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,