Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 13, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2003
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 13, 2003

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These meditations start with a Gospel reading
      and a poem and meditation based on it written this week
      by Kate Eysaman.

      Please read Luke 5: 1-11

      Student Teacher

      She found me tired
      And read my journal in my eyes.
      Picking up my lesson plan, said
      'How'd it go?'
      My eyes filled, and she looked over
      The plan and the twenty empty seats.
      Resting chin on hand, she smiled
      'They like to laugh you know.'
      (Yes, how well I knew.)
      She held my shoulder, whispered,
      'Tomorrow it will go better.'
      She had surely forgotten the sweaty agony
      Of facing 20 demons once again.
      The next day, cartoons and stories
      Cleared a path. Grammar in disguise.
      Laughing, the demons filed out,
      Except one straggler, who stopped shyly for chat.
      Then, alone again, she found me, whispered,
      'How's it feel to finally get your balance?'
      Her invisible magic
      Held me while I chatted shyly, loving, being loved.

      Dear Creator,
      Give me the same appetite for learning that I seem
      to have for 'teaching.' Please give me enough humor
      to make the teaching painless, enough love to make
      the learning stick, and the faith to keep on trying.

      Amen.

      [We are very sad to report that Joseph W. Houle died
      early Tuesday morning, March 25, 2003, at his home
      in Washington, DC surrounded by his family. Joe had
      a short battle with gall bladder cancer having chosen
      not to undergo chemotherapy, but to let the disease,
      already well advanced, to take its course.

      [Joe pastored MCC Pittsburgh in the late 1970's and
      early 1980's. He went on to get an advanced degree
      at Duquesne University and some years later, another
      degree in counseling. He had served as the Director
      of Emmaus House of Prayer, a special work of the Mid-
      Atlantic District and as a part of that work edited
      the devotional, 'The Road to Emmaus,' the source of
      these Chi Rho Reflections. More recently he had a
      counseling practice in Washington, DC through Brookland
      Pastoral Center. His gentle spirit touched many lives.

      A memorial service will be held at MCC Washington, DC
      on Saturday, April 26th, 2003 at Noon. Memorial gifts
      may be sent to Transfiguration House of Prayer, 295
      W. Jefferson Rd, Butler PA 16001. Joe's ministry
      continues to touch lives, through this excellent book
      of daily devotions and through our weekly Reflections.
      Please join the board and staff of Chi Rho Press, and
      all of Joe Houle's family and friends, his clients and
      the people whose lives his ministry has touched, in our
      sadness and grief over Joe's passing. May Joe Houle
      rest in peace, and may light perpetual shine upon him.]

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,