Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 30, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2003
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 30, 2003

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These meditations start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by the
      Rev. Carolyn 'Dusty' Pruitt.

      Please read John 15:12-27

      Love One Another

      The early Christian church was renowned for its love.
      People seemed drawn toward Christianity, not because
      its followers had superior philosophical insights, but
      because of the love they showed toward each other.

      Jesus says in today's passage, 'This I command you, to
      love one another.' But how do we do this? So many of
      us have found this passage, and many similar ones in
      the New Testament, almost impossible to understand, let
      alone to obey. How can we feel warmly about people,
      including some of our brothers and sisters, who just
      don't arouse that feeling in us, some of whom, indeed,
      we just plain don't even like? It's frustrating!

      Strangely enough, a careful reading of the New Testament
      gives a clue to the answer. For one thing, it becomes
      clear that even Jesus himself often didn't show any
      warmth of feeling toward those whom he said he loved.
      If his use of the word didn't have to imply warm
      feelings, what is the meaning of agape, the Greek word
      which underlies the term 'love,' as Jesus uses it here?

      Agape, as used in all but a few places in the New
      Testament, means 'love of the other person for the
      sake of the other person,' a meaning for which we have
      no equivalent in English. To love, in the sense of
      agape, doesn't require me to have the kind of warm
      feelings that we usually associate with 'love.' All
      that it requires is that I act in a caring way, a way
      that clearly shows my real concern for the other
      person's well-being.

      Surely, I can act this way no matter how I feel about
      the other person. It is simply a matter of doing it.

      Jesus, help me to practice your kind of agape love for
      other people, to simply act in a caring way, no matter
      what my feelings about it may be. Amen.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,