Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 23, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23, 2003
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 23, 2003

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These meditations start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by the
      Rev. Carolyn 'Dusty' Pruitt.

      Please read John 17:1-11

      One With God Through Jesus

      Some have questioned the validity of Christianity,
      saying, 'How can Christianity be the true way when
      even the followers of Christ cannot agree on what
      the true way is? Is not the divided body of Christ
      a proof that Christianity is not the only true way?'
      A valid question.

      'Holy God, my Mother and Father, keep them in your
      name . . . that they may be one, even as we are one.'
      This was Jesus' prayer in the garden. His last
      thoughts, the true 'Lord's prayer,' were of his
      disciples and of those who would come after them.
      And he prayed for unity among them.

      While the skeptic may look at the various
      denominations within Christianity and see
      factionalism, there is another way to look at
      Christianity. The vast majority of Christians
      exhibit 'unity within diversity:' unity under the
      dominion of Jesus Christ, diversity in mission and
      emphasis.

      The Bible describes the church as 'the body of
      Christ,' and even as a body has various parts, so,
      too, does the body of Christ. Thus it can be that
      Catholics, Lutherans, and Episcopalians, for example,
      offer a beautiful Eucharistic ministry, while
      Presbyterians, Methodists, Congregationalists, and
      ethnic churches emphasize Biblical justice and
      righteousness. Baptists and Evangelists bring new
      believers into the body, while Pentecostals and
      Charismatics function as healers and prophets.
      What a diverse and beautiful body, with one head,
      Jesus Christ!

      Lord, help me to see your church not as a collection
      of splintered and quarreling factions, but as the
      beautifully faceted diamond that it is. Amen.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,