Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 16, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2003
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 16, 2003

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These meditations start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by the late
      Rev. Larry J. Uhrig and is reprinted here in his memory.

      Please read John 3:16-21

      Immediately after Jesus' discourse about spiritual truth,
      John states the central spiritual truth of the Gospel in
      the sixteenth verse, 'For God so loved the world that God
      gave God's only Child, that whoever believes in that Child
      should not perish but have eternal life.' John's commentary
      then returns to the issue of recognizing truth by saying
      that many could not see Jesus as the light of the world,
      that many would not receive him as Saviour.

      Coming to truth, coming to Christ, coming to a personal
      faith, these things are more a matter of 'seeing' than
      doing. The Spirit of God shows Jesus to those who seek.
      The words of verse 16 have a way of stopping the reader.
      I know they do me. I stop and ask, 'Do I believe God
      loves me? Does Jesus tell me this?' So often I have
      read the Gospel account of the life of Jesus as if I
      were reading an interesting story that did not affect
      me. But if this verse is the central truth of the whole
      story, I have to ask the question, 'Do I believe this?'

      I return to the story in a more personal way, my mind
      flooded with questions. It is when my feelings begin
      to overflow my thoughts that the truth of the Gospel
      starts to break through to me. I need to feel love.
      I don't want to perish. I want life eternal. Am I
      able to grasp what John is talking about? Do I not
      recognize who Jesus is? Do I refuse to receive Christ
      as Saviour?

      I continue to read the Gospel, seeking to know that
      Jesus is my Saviour. I know that my faith begins in
      knowing I am the one loved by God, that God gave Christ
      for me. In hearing John speak to me, I must answer.
      Now the words are mine, God loved me so much that God
      gave Jesus Christ, that I might believe and not perish,
      that I might have eternal life. This is my faith, my
      testimony.

      Christ, show yourself as God's gift and salvation to
      all who read these words. We seek you here and now.
      My words seek to reveal you. I know you want to be
      known to all. Jesus, I want to add my testimony to
      John's.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,
      Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      R. Adam DeBaugh
      Chi Rho Press, Your LGBT Christian Publishing House
      Subscribe to Chi Rho Connection, our free electronic newsletter
      mailto:ChiRhoPress-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Please visit the Chi Rho Press Website.
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com