Christmas - eNews #13, 20 Dec, 1999

  • Adam@xxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 1999
      Welcome to the Chi Rho Press eNewsletter.

      To join our list and get your own copy of our eNewsletter, send an
      email message to ChiRhoPress-subscribe@onelist.com.

      All other email should be directed to Adam@.... See the
      end of This eNewsletter for a complete list of email addresses at

      1. The "Twelve Days of Christmas" Explained 2. The 2000 Liturgical
      Calendar Introduced 3. A Special Offer -- the Pre-publication Sale of
      Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse 4. Promissory Notes are Still
      Available 5. Adam's Last Word

      1. The "Twelve Days of Christmas" Explained

      (From the UFMCC LeaderLink, 17 December 1999, taken from the Las
      Vegan, the MCC Las Vegas newsletter.)

      From 1558 to 1829, Roman Catholics in England were not able to
      practice their faith openly so they had to find other ways to pass
      their beliefs. The Christmas carol "The Twelve Days of Christmas" is
      one example of how they did it. Written in England as a catechism
      song for young Catholics, "The Twelve Days of Christmas" contains
      hidden meanings intended to help children remember lessons of faith.
      Instead of referring to an earthly suitor, the "true love" mentioned
      in the song really refers to God. The "me" who receives the presents
      is symbolic of every baptized person.

      The "partridge in a pear tree" is Jesus Christ. In the song, Christ
      is symbolically presented as a mother partridge that feigns injury to
      decoy predators from helpless nestlings.

      The meaning of the other symbols are:

      Two turtle doves are the Old and New Testaments. Three French hens
      are faith, hope, and charity. Four calling birds are the four
      Gospels. Five golden rings are the first five books of the Old
      Testament which outline humanity's fall from grace. Six geese
      a-laying are the six days of creation. Seven swans a-swimming are
      seven gifts of the Holy Spirit (the seven sacraments of the Roman
      Catholic Church). Eights maids a-milking are the eight Beatitudes.
      Nine ladies dancing are nine fruits of the Holy Spirit. Ten lords
      a-leaping are the Ten Commandments. Eleven pipers piping are the
      eleven faithful disciples. Twelve drummers drumming are the twelve
      points of belief in the Apostles' Creed.

      2. New Liturgical Calendar.

      Chi Rho Press has published a liturgical calendar for MCC and other
      Christian communities of faith every year since 1995. The Rev. Joseph
      Gilbert has done a wonderful job creating these calendars for us.
      This year, Joseph has retired from that task in order to enjoy his
      retirement years.

      The Rev. Tom Bohache, pastor of MCC in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, has
      taken on the liturgical calendar this year. Naturally it is somewhat
      different from in past years, but the scripture readings for every
      Sunday and holy day are listed, along with new secular readings that
      Tom has accumulated in his long and successful ministry. He has also
      added a chart of liturgical colors, and other surprises.

      The Liturgical Calendar for Year B, which begins with the first
      Sunday of Advent on November 28, 1999 and goes through the end of the
      church year in November, 2000, is now available for $4.95 each, $3.75
      each for six or more copies, plus shipping and handling.

      (Shipping and handling is $2.50 for total orders of up to $19.99,
      $3.50 for orders of $20 to $39.99, $4.50 for orders of $40 to $59.99,
      $5.50 for orders of $60 to $79.99, $6.50 for orders of $80 to $99.99,
      and 7% of the order for orders of over $100.)

      3. Special Offer

      Chi Rho Press is pleased to announce the up-coming publication of
      "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse," by Dr. Rembert Truluck. We know
      you have seen this before but if you haven't ordered you are running
      out of time to take advantage of this special offer. We are now
      entering the edits resulting in proofreading the final galleys by
      three people (Director Adam DeBaugh, Assistant Editor Kevin Fries,
      and author Rembert Truluck). The publication date has had to be moved
      back to the first weeks of January, 2000.

      This long-awaited book will retail for $24.95, but we are now
      offering a Pre-Paid, Pre-Publication Sale. From now until the books
      are delivered from the printer and bindery, "Steps to Recovery from
      Bible Abuse" is available for$19.95, plus shipping and handling.

      This price (20% off the list price) is only available for pre-paid
      orders received before publication of "Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse." Books ordered through this Pre-Paid, Pre-Publication Sale
      will be the first ones shipped as the book rolls off the presses.
      Send your check or money order, made out to Chi Rho Press, to us at
      P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      Shipping and handling for this special sale is $2.50 for one book,
      $3.50 for two books, $4.50 for three books, $5.50 for four books,
      $6.50 for five books, and 7% of the total for six or more books
      ordered. You may order (and prepay)as many books as you want at this
      $19.95 price.

      "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse," says Dr. Truluck, "will be over
      550 pages of information and encouragement to equip gay, lesbian,
      bisexual, and transgendered people and all others who have been
      abused and oppressed by religion to learn the truth and to rejoice
      and grow in their God-given worth as individuals."

      "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse" is organized in 18 chapters. The
      first five chapters contain introductory material, including essays
      on "Why this Book is Here," "My Story" by Dr. Truluck, "Jesus Heals
      Sick Religion," "Guidelines for Small Groups," and "How to Use this

      The next 13 chapters are the Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse. Each
      of the 13 Steps contains four Bible Study Lessons, suitable for
      personal study or small group use. As a result there are 52 Lessons,
      one for each week of the year.

      The 13 Steps are organized into five parts, "Jesus and Spiritual
      Freedom," "Eliminate the Negative," "Accentuate the Positive," "Reach
      Out," and "Beyond Recovery."

      In addition, there are six special studies in the book's appendix:
      "How I Lead Workshops and Small Groups," "Homosexuality and the
      Bible," "Challenging the Ex-Gay Industry," "The Dynamics of Religious
      Abuse," "A Gay Christian's Response to the Southern Baptists," and
      "How do You Name God?"

      With all this information and at over 550 pages, "Steps to Recovery
      from Bible Abuse" is well worth the $24.95 list price. So the
      Pre-Paid, Pre-Publication sale price of $19.95 is a true bargain. And
      by sending your check or money order for this pre-publication sale
      you will also enable Chi Rho Press to pay for much of the printing

      Rembert Truluck says, "'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse' is far
      more than a book of information, Bible studies, and personal
      experiences. It is a book that will be extended through my web site
      in on-going expanding resources of updates, bibliography, and new
      information about our dynamic changing world and our place in it.
      This combination of book and web site will provide a practical and
      constantly up-dated resource for individuals and small groups to
      learn and experience the truth and to share their hope with others."

      Send your check or money order for this important, ground-breaking
      book today to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898.
      Thank you!

      4. "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse" Promissory Notes Still Available

      In order to fund the production of Dr. Rembert Truluck's book, "Steps
      to Recovery from Bible Abuse," $1,000 Promissory Notes at 8% interest
      are available. We are looking for people who are interested in
      supporting Dr. Truluck's excellent work by helping to fund the
      publication of his book. The notes will be repaid over a two year
      period at 8% simple interest, with payments being sent quarterly.
      Write Adam@... for more information. Read more about Dr.
      Truluck's ministry and "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse" at

      5. Adam's Last Word.

      That's it for this issue of the Chi Rho Press eNewsletter.

      All the staff at Chi Rho Press wish you a blessed Christmas. We pray
      that this season of hope, in which we celebrate the birth of the
      Messiah, will be a special time of hope, joy, and peace for you all.
      I know that this week especially is filled with scurrying around
      doing last-minute shopping, writing cards, and a lot of parties and
      events. But I hope you all will be able to take time to reflect on
      "the reason for the season" are and no, Virginia, that is NOT Santa
      Claus. The reason for the season is the birth of hope and salvation,
      Emmanuel are "God with us" are come in human form to redeem and save
      all of humanity, without exception. This little baby who is the
      Messiah, the Savior, did not come only for white, heterosexual men,
      but for all of us. In the wildly inclusive love that God showed on
      that first Christmas, we should take our cue to be the wildly
      inclusive, radically accepting, and revolutionary church which is
      truly a "house of prayer for ALL people."

      So Happy Christmas to all, and God does mean ALL! All the staff and
      authors of Chi Rho Press join me in sending warm holiday greetings to
      all our friends and supporters.

      Thank you and God bless you.

      Grace and peace,

      Adam DeBaugh, Director The Rev. Clay Witt, Ron DeVrou, and Steve
      Barchers (the Board of Directors) Kevin Stone Fries, Assistant
      Editor, Mark David Streetman, Web Master, and Stephen deVilbiss,
      Office Staff

      If you've received our eNewsletter as a result of the good offices of
      someone passing it along to you (which we certainly encourage) and
      would like to receive it directly from us, please follow the
      directions at the end of our eNewsletter to subscribe.

      For orders, please write to us: Orders@.... If you have
      questions,please write to Question@.... For comments and
      suggestions about this eNewsletter, please write
      eNews@.... For all other correspondence, please write

      Our snail mail address is:

      Chi Rho Press, Inc. P.O. Box 7864 Gaithersburg, MD 20898

      You may order any of our books via snail mail, telephone, fax, or
      email at Orders@.... We will ship your order with an
      invoice. Include your email address, mailing address, and telephone
      number please.

      View our new web page at http://www.ChiRhoPress/com.

      For the convenience of our friends outside of the USA, we suggest
      ordering our books through Amazon.com.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      Ronald DeVrou, MSW, Personal & Relationships Life Coach
      AOL Screen Names: GayCoach/ComingOutCoach/DatingCoach

      Get Your Copy of the Free 'Weekly Gay Coach' eNewsletter