Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 26, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2003
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 26, 2003

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These meditations start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Fr.
      Robert Nugent.

      Please read Mark 6:30-46

      When Jesus tells his disciples, 'You give them something
      to eat,' he is alluding to both human and spiritual
      hungers. Fortunately, our instinct for survival reminds
      us when the body is hungry, and we naturally take the
      time to nourish ourselves. But there is no comparable
      instinct to alert us to our spiritual hunger. Even
      when we are hard at work building the reign of God,
      for example, there is still the danger that our good
      works, plans, and concerns can numb the hunger for
      prayer and religious meaning. Maybe that is why Jesus
      takes the disciples off to a deserted place immediately
      after a very busy and apparently successful missionary
      journey, to remind them that the real source and the
      ultimate goal of all their efforts is the one who alone
      satisfies the hungry heart.

      When Jesus fed the people bread, he satisfied their
      physical hunger; when he fed them God's Word, he only
      increased their spiritual hunger. Prayer not only
      satisfies our hunger for God, but at the same time
      increases and stimulates it. To fill ourselves with
      food when we are hungry is good and natural, but it is
      not possible to so fill ourselves with God that we no
      longer hunger for God.

      If we hunger for food, perhaps it is because we do not
      hunger enough for God. I cannot be hungry for God and
      try to satisfy that hunger without at the same time
      wanting to share my bread with the needy. My prayer
      must be that I become ever more hungry for God and
      ever more ready to help feed others, with care,
      compassion, support, and perhaps even at times simply
      a cup of coffee or a doughnut.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,