Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 19, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2003
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 19, 2003

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These meditations start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Fr.
      Robert Nugent.

      Please read Mark 4:21-34

      A man who had a weak heart inherited a billion dollars.
      His family was afraid that the good news would
      precipitate a heart attack, so they asked the priest
      to tell him the good news. The priest visited the man
      and tactfully asked him what he would do if someone
      gave him a billion dollars. When the man said he
      would give half to the parish, the priest had a heart
      attack.

      Some heart attacks today come from stress caused by
      overwork in pushing too hard for material success.
      Others are spiritual heart attacks caused by pushing
      too hard for the reign of God. It is easy to recognize
      material greed. Spiritual greed is more difficult to
      discern, but just as dangerous.

      Jesus teaches that the reign of God cannot be hurried
      or pushed for any purpose, no matter how good. The
      reign of God grows slowly in our lives and in our world.
      The reign-sower must be patient. All processes of
      growth take time. A rich harvest is not possible
      without waiting and hoping and trusting.

      So the sower goes about living the ordinary day-to-day
      business of life. And the seed, slowly but inexorably,
      passes through the various stages of growth. Worry,
      anxiety, fear will not help the see grow one bit faster.
      Once the seed is planted, its growth and fruitfulness
      are out of the sower's immediate control. Life continues
      through it all.

      A handful of wheat, five thousand years old, was found
      in an Egyptian tomb. When planted, the grains came to
      life. The power of growth is in the seed. When I have
      dug and planted and watered and watched, I can patiently
      wait until God's power gradually unfolds, perhaps in
      lives and events I had not expected. I do not know how
      God works. I do know it is God's power, not mine, that
      works.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,