Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 5, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2003
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 5, 2003

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These meditations start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Sr.
      Jeannine Gramick.

      Please read John 15:1-16

      In this passage, you tell us that you are a vine,
      Jesus, and we are branches which will bear fruit
      as long as we remain in you. Your loving Father-
      and-Mother singles out those branches that will
      produce good fruit and gently prunes them. In
      addition to the planting, watering, and weeding
      needed in the cultivation of crops, a good gardener
      will also prune the stock to produce a heartier
      plant that will bear more and better fruit.

      I believe that I am a worthwhile branch of our
      Creator's vine. Now, I don't mean to complain,
      Jesus, but don't you think our God is pruning me
      just a little too much? When I become disheartened
      and discouraged by the values and choices of our
      country and our church, is our God pruning me of
      my adamant conviction that I know what is best for
      everyone? When I feel searing disruptions and
      conflicts with my most intimate friends and loved
      ones, is our God pruning me of my dependence on
      human relationships? When I want so much to pray
      and to be connected to the holy but seem unable to
      find you because of the empty tomb within me, is
      our God pruning me of my longing for spiritual
      satisfaction? When I feel frustrated because so
      many of the ambitious tasks I have set for myself
      remain undone, is our God pruning me of my self-
      reliance and reminding me that I am powerless without
      you, Jesus?

      Yes, I am being pruned, reduced, cut down, diminished,
      so that my vital union with you, Jesus, will yield an
      even greater harvest. I believe that you chose this
      branch to help make this world a better place and to
      lead others to the eternal joy of the next. Today,
      please keep this branch close to you, Jesus, our life-
      giving vine. Amen.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,