Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 29, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2002
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 29, 2002

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These meditations start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by R. Adam
      DeBaugh.

      Please read John 2:1-11

      Jesus' first miracle, at the wedding in Cana, sets the
      tone for his entire ministry and sums up what is to come
      in the Gospels.

      Jesus understands and empathizes with our troubles, just
      as he understood the embarrassment of his host when the
      wine started to run out. Without great fanfare, he
      simply supplies what we need, enriching us in the
      process (the steward thought the host had saved the
      best for last, when in fact it was Jesus who provided
      the best). Imagine the relief the host felt after
      Jesus provided the wine; that is the kind of relief
      that Jesus always gives us.

      Jesus was the kind of person who was able to enjoy
      himself and others at community celebrations. He had
      been invited to this party, he fit in, he wasn't out of
      his element, and he didn't make others feel uncomfortable.
      In other words, Jesus and his followers were not dour
      religious figures, frowning censoriously, but were able
      to enjoy life and share in the happiness of others.

      Jesus allowed the servants to be co-workers with him.
      To this day Christ does not keep the healing, helping,
      and saving of the world in Christ's own hands, but
      offers a share in ministry to all who will join in.

      Like Mary, we can be confident that Jesus will be
      thoughtful, dependable, and helpful. She knows, as we
      do, that whatever the need, Jesus can do something to
      help.

      Sovereign Jesus, Gracious Guest, be ever present at
      our celebrations, join our parties, be with us in our
      joy, for you provide all we need. Amen.

      Amen. And we at Chi Rho Press wish you a very happy
      New Year and pray that 2003 will be filled with every
      good thing for you all.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,