Chi Rho Connection, Vol. III, No. 17

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2002

      Vol. III, No. 17

      1. 'The Journey is Our Home:' Sharing Our Faith
      Journeys, by Chris Hubble
      2. 'Together In Love' now in stock
      3. Do Your Christmas Shopping at www.ChiRhoPress.com,
      Special Offer on Shipping
      4. 2003 Liturgical Calendar Published
      5. Adam's Last Word:

      If you want things to be different perhaps the
      answer is to become different yourself.
      -- Norman Vincent Peale

      electronic newsletter of Chi Rho Press. Thank you for
      passing this Chi Rho Connection on to others.

      to see our entire lines of books, handouts, videos, tapes,
      tchochkas, and stained glass.

      1. 'The Journey is Our Home:' Sharing Our Faith
      Journeys, by Christopher A. Hubble

      The Chi Rho Connection is pleased to continue its
      series in which people tell about their faith journeys.

      To continue 'The Journey is Our Home' series, we have
      called upon Christopher A. Hubble, of Boulder, Colorado,
      USA. Chris is the author of 'Lord Given Lovers,' the
      story of David and Jonathan, to be published next year
      by Chi Rho Press

      We hope you are blessed by the spiritual insights found
      here.

      Here is Chris' story of faith, 'The Lighter Burden.'

      + + +

      I grew up in Boulder, Colorado during the post-Vietnam
      seventies and the 'New Wave' eighties. I vividly
      remember the star of lights that adorned the foothills
      above the city every Christmas. In November 1979,
      when I was eight, Iranian students stormed the
      American embassy in Tehran. The star above Boulder
      remained lit until the hostages came home. It became
      a symbol of hope and stability in a confusing world.
      After the hostages returned, I closely identified with
      the resurgent nationalism that accompanied Ronald
      Reagan's tenure in the White House.

      I missed the mark many other ways during my adolescence
      and early adulthood. In 1989, I matriculated at Rice
      University in Houston, Texas. Drunk with the hubris
      of youth, I saw no need for God. The apparent
      omnipotence of personal ambition was all I needed.
      My newly discovered obsession to become an officer
      in the United States Marine Corps fueled my self-
      absorbed drive for success.

      I also started drinking during college. Six and a
      half years later, while stationed on Okinawa, chronic
      alcoholism landed me on a psychiatric ward.
      Fortunately, I was able to admit my problem and I
      began the journey to sobriety. This journey led
      me to a sponsor in Alcoholics Anonymous who
      introduced me to Jesus for the first time (I had
      been raised Catholic but hadn't yet learned what
      it meant to be Christian). Eventually, I renounced
      Catholicism. No one, not even the Pope in Rome,
      had the right to tell anyone else how to listen to
      the voice of God speaking in their heart.
      Unfortunately, I waited another five years before
      I heeded that voice in my own heart and came out
      of the closet.

      When, several years ago, I finally did come out,
      I was an emotional mess. I had to resolve a crucial
      dilemma: did coming out mean I was abandoning God
      again? I thought God hated gays! My sobriety was
      dependent on my relationship with God. Did coming
      out mean I was going to drink again? Fortunately, I
      discovered the story of David and Jonathan in 1 and
      2 Samuel. The discovery that these two important
      figures of Israel's history shared a loving, intimate
      partnership transformed my life. David and Jonathan
      have become my new stars of hope and stability.

      Today, I know what God's vision is for me: tell the
      story of David and Jonathan to my fellow Queers. I
      also recently graduated from massage school and now am
      blessed with the daily opportunity to minister to the
      needs of others; I work to relieve their suffering and
      facilitate their healing. These are demanding missions.
      But God gives me all the courage and strength I need.
      Jesus said, 'If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must
      deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow
      Me' (Luke 9:23). I'm grateful, today, that I found my
      cross. It really is the lighter burden.

      + + +

      2. 'Together In Love' now in stock!

      The new anthology by Roberta Showalter Kreider, who
      compiled 'From Wounded Hearts' for Chi Rho Press, is
      now in stock.

      'Together in Love: Faith Stories of Gay, Lesbian,
      Bisexual, and Transgender Couples' is an anthology of
      LGBT couples, telling their stories of their faith
      journeys as people in non-traditional relationships.
      'Together in Love' has a foreword by psychiatrist Elsie
      Enns Steelberg, is 360 pages, and contains 26 stories
      by LGBT couples. It also includes other stories, poems,
      and a father's message to the church.
      (ISBN: 0-9664822-1-2)

      Roberta Kreider compiled 'From Wounded Hearts: Faith
      Stories of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered
      People and Those Who Love Them,' published by Chi Rho
      Press in 1998. Now, with 'Together in Love,' Roberta
      has put together another impressive anthology of LGBT
      people of faith telling their stories.

      Roberta Kreider writes, 'To truly embrace all of God's
      creation as good and worthy of respect and love is the
      most freeing experience I know. Never again do I want
      to judge another person by skin color, status in life,
      gender, sexual orientation, religion, or by what those
      in authority determine for me. I am experiencing in a
      much deeper way than ever before God's unfathomable heart
      of love for me. May this also be true in your experience.'
      From 'A Personal Message to Our Readers,' Roberta Kreider's
      introduction to 'Together In Love.'

      See 'Together In Love' on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/gayandchristian.html - Kreider

      'Together In Love' is $24.00 each, $18.00 each for six
      or more copies, plus shipping and handling.

      3. Do Your Christmas Shopping at ChiRhoPress.com!

      Like it or not, the holiday shopping season has begun.
      What if we could point you to a store which is open
      24 hours a day, seven days a week; where you can shop
      in your pajamas if you want; where you can buy books,
      stained glass, and even stocking stuffers; and where
      shipping is free for orders over $100! Of course, we
      are talking about our own Web page, http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      Books make great gifts! Titles such as Steps to
      Recovery from Bible Abuse, The Bible and Homosexuality,
      Come Home!, Called OUT!, Positively Gay, My Memory Book,
      the new 2003 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary, and the
      new Together in Love (compiled by Roberta Kreider, see
      the previous article) are all available and ready to
      ship. Plus we have five different stained glass
      designs, rainbow key chains and bracelets, and more!

      *****

      As a special incentive, shipping and handling will be
      waived if your order totals $100 or more! Yes, that's
      right, shipping is free for orders over $100.

      *****

      Come shop at Chi Rho Press!

      4. 2003 Liturgical Calendar Published!

      'A Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary, Year B, December
      2002 through November 2003,' compiled by Dr. David Kerr
      Park. Spiral bound, 8 ½" x 11", 78 pages. $9.95 each,
      six or more copies for $7.95 each, plus shipping and
      handling. Now available on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Park.

      Chi Rho Press is pleased to announce a brand new
      Liturgical Calendar for the coming church year. Our
      newly designed Liturgical Calendar is packed with
      useful information for planning worship and preaching
      in the local church for each Sunday and Holy Day of
      the Church Year. It is intended for use by pastors,
      musicians, altar guilds, teachers, theological
      students, and anyone using the Church Year as a
      basis for worship or education. The Liturgical
      Calendar is spiral bound so it can lie flat for
      easy use, in a new, larger 8 ½" x 11" format.

      Order your copy of the 2003 Liturgical Calendar today!
      $9.95 each, six or more copies for $7.95 each.

      I am sorry for the delay in getting this issue of the
      Chi Rho Connection to you.

      Thanksgiving weekend in New York City was wonderful! It
      was four days filled with good food, good friends, and
      good worship. I was able to spend some excellent time
      with my friends James and Chris. After watching the
      Macy Day Parade and a fun train ride to Queens, I had
      a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner with the Rev. Reg
      Richburg and Su Chin, Reg's mother, and their friend
      Eve (I finally found my Eve!). Friday evening Reg, Su,
      Eve, and I went to Congregation Beth Simchat Torah in
      NYC for a wonderful service celebrating not only the
      Sabbath, but the first night of Hanukkah and World
      AIDS Day.

      Saturday featured dim sum in Queens and the new Harry
      Potter movie. (I am totally devoted to Harry Potter
      and J. K. Rowling. Any author who can inspire kids to
      read is a true hero to me!) On Sunday I went to MCC
      New York for the morning service and set up our
      traveling bookstore. The Rev. Pat Bumgardner preached
      a wonderful sermon, and I was privileged to have brunch
      with Pat and some wonderful women from the church.
      Then I was on the road for the long trip home.

      It was a wonderful weekend of fellowship and some
      work, with time with a variety of inspiring people
      of faith. I was able to spend a lot of time reflecting
      on all I have to be thankful for and praising God.

      *****

      We want to remind you all of our call for submissions.
      We continue to look for 500 word essays for our regular
      feature, 'The Journey is our Home:' Sharing our Faith
      Journeys, as well as book reviews, inspirational
      stories, favorite links, and your letters, suggestions,
      and comments.

      *****

      We are excited about our new shipping and handling
      policy, put in place for the holidays. For orders of
      $100 or more, shipping will be free! Buy four copies
      of Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse and one other
      small item and the shipping is free!

      Buy one copy each of Positively Gay, Steps to Recovery
      from Bible Abuse, Come Home!, The Bible and Homosexuality,
      Called OUT, The Road to Emmaus, and Together in Love and
      the shipping is free!

      Buy six pieces of stained glass and the shipping is free!

      Well, you get the idea. Shipping is free for orders of
      $100 or more from now through the holiday season. Just
      our way of helping you do more of your Christmas shopping
      at www.ChiRhoPress.com and to wish you Happy Holidays!

      *****

      Our new Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary tells me
      that Advent is upon us, the beginning of a new church
      year. As we move from Thanksgiving (for those of us in
      the United States) and on into the four week period of
      preparation for the Advent or Coming of Jesus Christ
      on Christ's Mass, or Christmas.

      I am thankful for relative good health, a snug home, a
      good secular job, friends and family, and my church
      home. I am thankful for Chi Rho Press, this amazing
      ministry, and our authors, investors, board of
      directors, volunteers, contributors, and customers.
      I am thankful for the opportunity to be involved in
      this ministry and to work with so many amazing people
      of faith. I am thankful for the faith stories we are
      receiving from all over the world for our series, 'The
      Journey is Our Home.' And finally, I am thankful for
      YOU, our faithful readers, supporters, and friends.

      As we are in the Advent season, preparing for Christmas,
      I hope that you will shop for at least some of your
      holiday gifts at www.ChiRhoPress.com. Also, I hope
      you are moved to make a special gift to the ministry
      of Chi Rho Press. You can contribute on line as well
      as by check or money order to our postal address. Your
      support will enable this ministry to continue and
      flourish.

      Many thanks and God bless you all!

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her Web page, http://www.christiangays.com