Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 1, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2002
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 1, 2002

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These meditations start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by R. Adam
      DeBaugh.

      Please read Matthew 20:17-28

      Nowhere is the revolutionary nature of the Gospel of
      Jesus Christ more apparent than in today's passage.
      Jesus reminds us that great people 'lord it over'
      others. But, he says, 'It shall not be so among you.'
      He then goes on to explain the astonishing reality of
      the new order that he brings to us; ' . . . whoever
      would be great among you must be your servant, and
      whoever would be first among you must be your slave.'

      The Greek word in verse twenty-six that is translated
      'servant' in the Revised Standard Version and 'minister'
      in the King James Version is diaconos, from which the
      term 'deacon' is derived. This implies that every
      Christian is a deacon or minister called by Christ to
      serve others. There is no higher office in the realm
      of God; there is no greater title in the Christian
      community. We may exalt titles like priest, bishop,
      elder, or district coordinator, but the bold and
      compelling fact of Christianity is that every follower
      of Christ who serves is great in the eyes of God.

      Sometimes we yearn for leadership, power, and fancy
      titles, as James and John do here; but when we do, we
      forget the teaching of Jesus that real power and
      leadership in the realm of God is not entrusted to
      those who lust for power, but rather to those who
      serve others with humility. Authentic leadership
      implies responsibility and often carries with it a
      great deal of stress and pain.

      This revolutionary message flies in the face of all
      the world's understanding of leadership and power.
      It is a message of gentleness and peace, of service
      and love, of sensitivity and self-effacement.

      Dear God, I thank you for leading us to a new
      understanding of leadership and power. Help me to
      live up to Christ's demanding example. Amen.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,