Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 10, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11 4:03 AM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 10, 2002

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These meditations start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Joseph
      W. Houle.

      Please read Matthew 14:13-21

      '. . . Jesus looked up to heaven, and blessed, and broke
      and gave the loaves to the disciples, and the disciples
      gave them to the crowds.'

      One day God decided to come to earth, for God had heard
      the people's cries of affliction. On the appointed day,
      God set out across the expanse of space that stretches
      like a sea between heaven and earth; and as the boat
      approached the shore there was a great throng waiting.
      When God saw the throng, God had compassion on them, and
      spent the day healing the sick.

      That evening God's disciples wanted to send the crowds
      away to but food for themselves; but God said, 'They
      will not find the food for which they hunger in the
      nearby villages. Let them stay; I will find a way to
      satisfy their need.'

      Then God saw five loaves of bread near the disciples.
      God said to the loaves, 'Will any of you offer yourself
      for these people? To satisfy their hunger is the very
      highest calling, but if you give yourself to this
      purpose, you will be broken and die. Still, I will
      change you into something new when it is all over.'

      There was a long pause as the loaves searched their
      hearts. Finally the smallest one said, 'I will give
      myself to feed this great throng.' The loaf trustingly
      placed itself in God's hands, who blessed, and broke,
      and gave it to the disciples to give to the crowds.
      When everyone was satisfied, the disciples gathered and
      offered to God twelve baskets of fragments, for,
      miraculously, those who had eaten of the sacrificial
      bread had become like the bread themselves!

      God said, 'We will invite these fragments in due time
      to offer themselves to feed other crowds that come
      hungry.' And at God's right hand the risen Christ
      appeared, and said 'Amen.'

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,