Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 13, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13 12:24 PM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 13, 2002

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These meditations start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by the Rev.
      Andy T. Sidden.

      Please read Matthew 9:27-34

      The tall thin man propped himself up, leaning his frail
      frame against the back of a church pew, and made a
      statement that initially sounded strange.

      'I'm so happy . . .' Randy said, pausing to gasp for
      air and to wipe tears from his darkly circled eyes.
      Smiling weakly, he finished, '. . . to be here.'

      The words were spoken with too much effort for them
      to be doubted. Randy was sincere about his happiness.
      A few days earlier it had looked as if this gentle
      twenty-six-year-old human being, this child of God,
      this new Christian, wouldn't make it to church. He
      had been hospitalized, barely able to breathe,
      suffering from AIDS-related pneumonia.

      But Randy was determined. Like the blind men in
      today's passage, he struggled, crying out to God
      and refusing to be denied a closer union with Christ.
      This Sunday was special for Randy. It was his Sunday
      to be officially baptized into the family of God. He
      left his hospital bed to be in God's house with his
      brothers and sisters in Christ.

      Sometimes, it's too easy for us to think of reasons to
      stay away from church. After all, God is everywhere.
      We needn't track Christ down to be healed. We simply
      have to call Christ's name.

      Perhaps that's the problem. Perhaps if Christ were a
      little more difficult to find we would be less likely
      to forget to look for our Saviour. How often we
      suffer simply because we fail to call on Christ.

      Randy and the blind men knew the value of being close
      to God. Mostly surely, God was with Randy in his
      hospital room. But he wanted more. He wanted to
      feel the healing presence of Christ that comes from
      being with other Christians.

      And most surely, he did. As he put it, 'I'm so
      happy. . . .'

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,