Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 6, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2002
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 6, 2002

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These meditations start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by the Rev.
      Andy T. Sidden.

      Please read Matthew 8:1-17

      Sunlight dances on gentle waves. Salty sea breezes
      tangle my hair. My mate's brown arm brushes against
      mine. I am alive. I am excited. I believe in
      miracles.

      God's magic still happens. It happens so often that
      our senses, miracles in themselves, aren't able to
      keep up. Try as we may we can't experience all the
      wonder around us. We grow numb to our precious world.

      Walking on the beach at sunset, it's easy to believe
      in miracles, easy to praise God for the glory of living.
      The trouble is, most of our moments aren't spent in
      such idyllic settings. We rush through our daily lives
      being jostled and pushed by others who are also in a
      hurry. We struggle with bothersome inconveniences,
      striving to meet human deadlines. And we do is all in
      surroundings that bore us with their familiarity.

      Not only do we long for miracles, but we want them to
      be so dramatic that they can't be ignored. We want
      them to be quick, big, and complete. Bang. The
      miracle has occurred.

      But our Saviour fills our daily lives with quiet
      miracles. We flip a switch, we have light. We put
      on glasses, we see. We dial a phone, and we hear a
      friend. The fact that the medical world took centuries
      to defeat polio doesn't make the victory any less of a
      miracle.

      'A miracle does not come by lazily waiting for God to
      do it all,' a Bible scholar says. 'It comes from
      cooperation of faith-filled effort with the illimitable
      grace of God.'*

      Some miracles, though, require nothing more of us than
      that we open our senses to what God is doing around us.
      If the leper hadn't looked at his body, how would he
      have known Jesus had cleansed him?

      Amen.

      * Altered from 'The Gospel of Matthew,' Volume I
      (Revised Edition). Translated with an introduction
      and interpretation by William Barclay. Copyright 1975
      William Barclay. Altered and used by permission of
      Westminster/John Knox Press. (p. 300)

      A special note: This is the 34th anniversary of the
      first Metropolitan Community Church service, October
      6, 1968. Congratulations to the MCCs in 22 countries
      that have sprung from that miracle of faith and witness.
      We also pray God's special blessings on MCC founder,
      the Rev. Elder Troy D. Perry. Thanks be to God for
      Troy's willingness to do the unthinkable and start a
      church that would welcome all of God's amazing
      diversity of creation in a truly inclusive and
      welcoming church. Troy's life has been the embodiment
      of the Apostle Paul's assertion that 'through Christ,
      nothing is impossible!' Happy 34th birthday, MCC!

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,