Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 15, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2002
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 15, 2002

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These meditations start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Vanessa
      Moore.

      Please read Matthew 3:1-12

      'Even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees;
      every tree therefore what does not bear good fruit is
      cut down and thrown into the fire.'

      John the Baptist must have made people uncomfortable.
      He said and did things no one else would have dared;
      he made the Pharisees squirm on many occasions; he
      challenged people to change.

      John the Baptist confronts us with the waste in our
      own lives, too. All of us have 'trees' in our lives
      that do not produce good fruit. Our trees take many
      forms: harmful relationships, abusive behavior,
      addiction to drugs, alcohol, sex, or work. Our trees
      can be lives overburdened with anger and self-hatred.
      Our trees can be so choked with memories of the past
      that they can not produce good fruit in the present.
      Often these trees have been our means of survival for
      years. They have become so deeply rooted in our lives
      that we do not see how we or anyone else could uproot
      them.

      Today's Gospel invites us to take the ax to the roots
      of these old and unproductive trees in our lives. It
      can be scary and it is never easy, but it is the only
      way to stimulate new growth. Be patient with yourself
      when it seems as though you will never clear your way
      out of the underbrush. After all, some of those trees
      have been there for a long time. The important thing
      is to learn to respect yourself as a child of God, to
      keep cutting, and to throw the dead wood into the fire
      of God's consuming love.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,