Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 25, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2002
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 25, 2002

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These meditations start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Sara
      Case.

      Please read Mark 12:35-44

      Today we find Jesus teaching in the Temple courts. We
      know he is speaking to a large crowd, but we are not
      told who the people are. Imagine yourself there in
      the crowd, listening to the teacher. You are among
      first century Jews, taught from your earliest days to
      expect a Messiah of Davidic descent, and Jesus raises
      a question about your belief! He also challenges the
      authority of those who taught you.

      In questioning this teaching, Jesus does not say whether
      it is right or wrong. He leaves no doubt, however that
      the belief of the most important people in church or
      society does not necessarily make that belief true.
      Jesus simply examines the teaching in question in the
      light of Scripture and opens it to the power of God for
      resolution.

      In seeking spiritual truth, we must learn to open our
      questions, open our very selves, to the light of God's
      power, and then wait for the answer, however long the
      wait may be. In this case, the answer to Jesus'
      question did not come until after his death and
      Resurrection when his own Davidic descent was claimed
      and reconciled with Scripture. (See, for example,
      Matthew 1:1-17, Luke 3:23-38, Romans 1:3, and 2 Timothy
      2:8.)

      Has one of your beliefs come under question recently?
      If so, recall the circumstances and how you felt on that
      occasion. Offer your questions to God now, along with
      all the feelings your uncertainty stimulates. As you
      wait for God's answer, let God bring life to your
      questions.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,