Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 11, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2002
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 11, 2002

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These meditations start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Vanessa
      Moore.

      Please read Mark 15:40-47

      'There were also women looking on from afar . . .
      who . . . followed Jesus, and ministered to Jesus.'

      It is painful to watch someone die. Sometimes it seems
      harder than the dying itself. The women who followed
      Jesus from Galilee and Jerusalem watched Jesus'
      agonizing death. At times during the crucifixion,
      it must have seemed impossible to watch any more.
      Something inside must have said, 'Enough! I can't
      stand it! I can't watch any more!' Yet they stayed.
      They watched. And when it was over, they took care to
      notice where Jesus' body had been laid. After the
      Sabbath they would return and perform one last gift
      of love, the anointing of the body for burial.

      When faced with dying all around us, we too are afraid.
      We try to avoid suffering and death; we want to look
      away. We don't know what to do or say. It's hard to
      watch someone struggling with pain. We want to be able
      to watch someone struggling with pain. We want to be
      able to make it stop. Something in us, too, says, 'I
      can't stand it. I can't watch any more!' Deathbeds
      make us uncomfortable; they remind us of our
      powerlessness.

      It helps to know that God is present even in pain and
      death. We can be servants of Christ to the dying,
      like the women who watched and served Jesus. When
      some of the brutal realities of dying overwhelm us,
      even while we say, 'Enough, no more,' we remember
      that suffering, death, and burial are not the end,
      but the gateway to a promised resurrection. While
      we mourn the loss of those we love, we can still
      hold fast to the comfort of Christ, pick up, and go on.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,