Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 4, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2002
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 4, 2002

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These meditations start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Philip
      E. Carolan.

      Please read Mark 7:24-37

      The story of the Canaanite woman graphically illustrates
      that the good news is for all and that no one is outside
      of God's grace. The story is also a portrayal of the
      recognition and healing by Jesus of very human
      constraints within himself. It shows that he did not
      find his identity in himself alone, but also in and
      through others. The Canaanite woman was the instrument
      through which Jesus recognized and confronted his own
      cultural bias and prejudice against a people whom he
      as a Jew felt were less worthy in the sight of God.
      In challenging Jesus, she was the means through which
      he recognized and threw off the cultural bonds of
      hatred, pride, and prejudice. Through her own faith
      and presence, she liberated him and thereby empowered
      him to broaden the scope of the good news.

      Prejudices, mind-sets, pride: these also keep me from
      loving completely and from fulfilling my God-given
      powers. Who are the ones whom I feel are expendable,
      whom I look down upon, whom I think are my inferiors,
      whom I dislike, whose needs I don't want to bother
      with, who have hurt me and whom I have not forgiven?
      The ones whom I disdain the most are often Christ in
      Christ's most distressing disguise. Yet these very
      souls may well be the means of our own empowerment
      and liberating self-discovery: the discovery of
      ourselves in God, of God in ourselves, and of all
      other persons in God with ourselves. And this
      self-discovery then becomes the discovery not only
      of ourselves, but also of Christ, the center of all

      O Lord, send the Canaanite of my prejudices to
      confront me. Open my mind and heart to discover
      you in all whom I encounter. Teach me to love

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,