Chi Rho Connection, Vol. III, No. 12

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2002

      The Chi Rho Press eNewsletter
      Vol. III, No. 12

      1. Taking a Hiatus
      2. Web Site Changes Continue
      3. Featured Book: Come Home!
      4. The Gold Buddha
      5. Adam's Last Word

      'The most important thing is that gay people not allow
      organized religion to steal their spirituality from
      them.... I say up front, homosexuality is a gift from
      God. And I believe that with all my heart.'
      Reverend Troy Perry, founder of the Metropolitan
      Community Church, in an interview by The Advocate in 1985

      electronic newsletter of Chi Rho Press. Thank you for
      passing this Chi Rho Connection on to others.

      To unsubscribe send an e-mail to

      tchochkas, and stained glass.

      Direct all other e-mail to Adam@.... See
      the end of this eNewsletter for a complete list of
      e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. Taking a Hiatus

      The Chi Rho Connection will be taking a summer hiatus
      to re-evaluate the contents and direction of this
      electronic newsletter. We have had some wonderful,
      critical input from some readers and the board and
      staff have decided to take a break for the rest of
      the summer and come back with a new philosophy and

      We would welcome your suggestions and advise! What
      works for you in the Connection? What doesn't work
      for you? What would you like to see more of? Or less
      of? Please let us know.

      We hope to resume publication of the Chi Rho Connection
      in a couple of months. The weekly Chi Rho Reflection,
      the Gospel reading and meditation based on it from
      'The Road to Emmaus,' will continue at the beginning of
      each week. As events warrant it, we may be sending you
      special news of upcoming events or publications.

      2. Web Site Changes Continue

      Our excellent new Web minister continues to add changes
      to our Web page and this effort will continue through
      July and August. Some book reviews have been added
      recently. Soon to go up are tables of contents,
      publisher's notes, introductions, and forewords of
      selected books. We invite you to visit us at
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com from time to time to check
      us out!

      3. Featured Book: Come Home!

      'Come Home! Reclaiming Spirituality and Community as
      Gay Men and Lesbians,' second edition, by Chris Glaser.
      first published in 1990 by HarperCollins, the second
      edition was published in 1998 by Chi Rho Press with the
      addition of five new chapters to the original 20.

      'Come Home!' is perhaps Chris Glaser's best book. It is
      divided into five sections, each with five chapters.
      The five sections are entitled, 'Welcoming God's
      Acceptance,' 'Receiving Our Inheritance,' 'Discerning Our
      Call,' 'Making Our Witness,' and 'Declaring Our Vision.'

      Bishop John Shelby Spong called 'Come Home!' 'powerful,
      sensitive, and provocative. . . . Glaser stands inside
      his own humanity as a gay male and hears the word of God
      through the Bible. Christians, gay and straight, need
      this book if we are to be the body of Christ.'

      This is a brilliant and important book by perhaps the
      best-known Gay Christian writer in the U.S. today.

      The Rev. Carter Heyward called 'Come Home!' 'an
      enthusiastic compelling testimony to the power of faith
      in the lives of many gay and lesbian Christians.'

      Virginia Ramey Mollenkott said, 'If courage, honesty,
      and insight are beautiful, then this is one beautiful
      book. . . . I rejoice that in this book all the gay
      men and lesbian women who have been robbed of their
      spirituality are issued an urgent invitation: Come home!'

      'Come Home!' by Chris Glaser offers a vision of faith,
      hope, and affirmation inviting gay men and lesbians to
      come home to their spirituality through Christian faith
      and community. Order your copy today!

      'Come Home!' is available for $19.95 each, $14.95 each
      for six or more copies, plus shipping and handling.

      4. The Gold Buddha

      Dennis Blyth, moderator of the list-serve
      GayChristian@yahoogroups.com sent this inspiring story
      to his list. We reprint here with Dennis' kind

      In 1957, a monastery in Thailand was being relocated
      and a group of monks was put in charge of moving a
      giant clay Buddha. In the midst of the move one of
      the monks noticed a crack in the Buddha. Concerned
      about damaging the idol, the monks decided to wait
      for a day before continuing with their task.

      When night came, one of the monks came to check on
      the giant statue. He shined his flashlight over the
      entire Buddha. When he reached the crack he saw
      something reflected back at him. The monk, his
      curiosity aroused, got a hammer and a chisel and
      began chipping away at the clay Buddha. As he knocked
      off piece after piece of clay, the Buddha got brighter
      and brighter. After hours of work, the monk looked up
      in amazement to see standing before him a huge
      solid-gold Buddha.

      Many historians believe the Buddha had been covered
      with clay by Thai monks several hundred years earlier
      before an attack by the Burmese army. They covered
      the Buddha to keep it from being stolen. In the attack
      all the monks were killed, so it wasn't until 1957,
      when the monks were moving the giant statue, that the
      great treasure was discovered.

      Like the Buddha, our outer shell protects us from the
      word: our real treasure is hidden within. We human
      beings unconsciously hide our inner gold under a layer
      of clay. All we need to do to uncover our gold is to
      have the courage to chip away at our outer shell, piece
      by piece. Could you be sitting on your own gold mine?

      5. Adam's Last Word

      Summer is rushing on, with hot and humid temperatures
      in the Washington DC area. But it is a time of some
      relaxation, reflection, and renewal. I hope you all
      are getting plenty of everything you need including
      a few good books to read!

      As you have seen in our first article, we are taking
      a break with the Chi Rho Connection for a month or so,
      working on rethinking what we are doing with our
      electronic newsletter and what is most important to
      you, our readers. We would value your input. In fact
      this break is the result of some very valuable
      suggestions by one of our readers.

      We would like to hear from more of you as well. What
      would you like to see in the Chi Rho Connection? What
      do you not want to see? What is working? What is not
      working? Please let us know, write us at

      The weekly Chi Rho Reflections will continue to go out
      at the beginning of each week during this hiatus.

      Have a great summer!

      If you've received the Chi Rho Connection as a result of the
      good offices of someone passing it along to you (which
      we certainly encourage) and would like to receive it
      directly from us, please follow the directions at the
      end of this Connection to subscribe.

      To order, please visit http://www.ChiRhoPress.com You
      may pay by credit card on our web page or we will ship
      order. Include your e-mail address, mailing address,
      and telephone number please.

      If you have questions, please write to

      For comments and suggestions
      about this electronic newsletter, please write

      To learn about our Guardian
      Angel Individual Sponsor Program, please write

      For all other correspondence,
      please write Adam@....

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her new Web page,

      Copyright 2002, Chi Rho Press, Inc.

      SUBSCRIBE: ChiRhoPress-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      R. Adam DeBaugh, Director, Adam@... .