Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 14, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2002
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 14, 2002

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These meditations start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Harold
      Joseph Burris and Joseph W. Houle.

      Please read Mark 1:1-13

      Like a great landscape painter, Mark with broad strokes
      introduces us to the good news of Jesus Christ. Setting
      the scene squarely in Judaic prophetic history, he first
      brings John into focus, highlighting his ministry of
      calling attention to the coming Messiah. Then in a few
      compact sentences he tells of the baptism of Jesus, the
      descent of the Spirit on Jesus, and the temptation in the
      wilderness. Mark expects his readers to recognize, in
      this brief account of the earliest events of Jesus'
      public life, that Jesus is the fulfillment of the
      prophecies of the Jewish Scriptures.

      The Gospel's challenge to us as it announces the coming
      of Christ into our world is equally brief and succinct:
      'Prepare the way of the Lord.' There is no room here
      for lengthy discourse or second thoughts. When Christ
      appears on the horizon, some response is required of us.
      The politician in us will try to evade the issue to no
      avail. The religious authority in us will resist the
      changing of the status quo. The child in us will seek
      to draw near to Christ. The leper in us will cry out
      for Christ's mercy. The intellectual in us will meet
      Christ by night to ask for instruction. No part of
      us will escape Christ's powerful presence.

      How then shall I prepare to encounter Christ appearing
      on the horizon of my life today? I will go out into
      the wilderness for a time, to the edge of my life, away
      from the frenzy of my daily routine, and there I will
      listen for the voice announcing Christ's arrival. I
      will confess my sins and immerse myself in the waters
      of God's mercy, which cleanse and purify my soul. I
      will simplify the paths of my inner life so that Christ
      may enter easily and find the way to my heart open and
      clear. In this way there shall be a new 'beginning of
      the Gospel of Jesus Christ' in my life today.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,