Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 30, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2002
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 30, 2002

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These meditations start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Sara Case.

      Please read Luke 22:31-38

      Peter did not suffer from the low self-esteem that many
      of us do. He believed he could do all sorts of things,
      and when he tried them he would often fail. He told
      Jesus he was ready to go with him to prison and to
      death, but when Jesus was arrested, Peter lied to save
      himself. Satan had control of him then and was sifting
      him like wheat.

      I tend to come from the other direction, believing that
      I can't do something I haven't done before. The power
      of this negative thinking then prevents me from
      experiencing life fully, and I, too, am 'sifted.'

      The good news is that Jesus, who is able to see all
      our possibilities, prays for us whether we are
      exuberant or cautious, fearful or bold. Jesus knew
      that Peter would deny him, but he could see beyond
      this mistake to a time when Peter would turn away
      from fear and self-protection. 'When you have
      turned again,' Jesus said to him, 'there will be
      work for you to do strengthening your sisters and
      brothers.' Note that Jesus did not say, 'If you
      turn again.' Jesus prayed and had faith that Peter
      would change.

      Jesus prays for us, too, all the time, and we, too,
      are transformed by the power of prayer. Do you
      understand what this means for you?

      Take time now to quiet yourself and to know in your
      heart that, while negative forces are trying to sift
      you as wheat, just as they did Peter, so Jesus is
      praying for you that your faith may not fail. Let
      this prayer embrace you and give you hope.

      Receive the embrace, drink deeply of the hope, and
      know that wherever your journey takes you, Jesus is
      holding you in prayer.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,

      R. Adam DeBaugh
      Director
      Subscribe to Chi Rho Connection, our free electronic newsletter
      mailto:ChiRhoPress-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website. You can order using our convenient shopping
      cart and pay on line using your credit card!
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      Gaithersburg, MD 20898, USA

      301/926-1208 (phone/fax)